been getting passing grades at QRZ.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terp

I've been studying the Ham Radio License Manual for some time. I have taken 15 tests on QRZ.com site and have passed all tests, I think I'm ready, now to find testing place closest to home. thanks

N0IU

As far as finding a test session, you might want to look at the ARRL website: https://www.arrl.org/

In the upper left corner of the screen, you have the option of looking for an exam session or club in your area.

It appears that the only test session registered with the ARRL within 50 miles is all the way over in Anderson and that's not until Dec 16.

16-Dec-2009
Sponsor: CHIEF ANDERSON ARC
Time: 7:00 PM (Walk-ins allowed)
(765)642-7291
Email: WYAL@AOL.COM
VEC: ARRL/VEC
739 GENE GUSTIN WAY
BLDG HANDICAP
ANDERSON, IN 46011

I also entered your zip code and found a couple of clubs within 20 miles. There is one in Frankfort and 2 in Lafayette. (one of them is Purdue club so technically that would be West Lafayette) Just click on that Clubs link and you should see the clubs along with their contact information and they should be able to help you find a test session. There are a lot more clubs if you expand the search to 50 miles. It just depends on how far you are willing to drive.

Good luck!

P.S. The "IU" in my callsign is in recognition of my college down in Bloomington!

Last edited:

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
If you are getting in the 80's consistently, move up to the next level exam...keep going.

When you take the test, if you pass one level, taking the next level is free while you're there so you may as well keep studying for the next level until you get 80s on that one too.

General is totally worth getting vs just tech so if you can do it, you'll get a lot from it.

APTN

Good Luck

It sounds to me like you're ready for the real test. (I passed mine after consistently passing the online practice tests.)

k8tmk

Sounds like you are doing fine. You might also want to try the sample tests at the aa9pw site. This site is more like the real thing, as you don't know how you are doing until you finish the test.

My wife used aa9pw for her Tech, General, and Extra.

I don't know where you are located in Indiana, but testing is tentatively scheduled in December in the St. Joe/Benton Harbor, MI area. There will probably also be testing at the Laporte hamfest that is usually held in February.

Randy, K8TMK

w1ai

Free online practice exams

HamTestOnline (HamTestOnline™) has the best free practice exams because it:
-- Remembers your answers. You can go back at any time and see those questions you got wrong on previous exams.
-- Tracks your progress. Shows graphically your progress over time.
-- Integrated question pool. You can view the entire question pool, and the questions are color-coded showing which ones you get wrong most often.
-- Ease of use. Rather than click on a tiny circle, our exams allow you to click anywhere on the answer.
-- Immediate feedback. While waiting until the end more closely simulates a real exam, you learn more if you see the answers while the question is still fresh in your mind. And learning should be the primary goal.

As volunteer examiners we saw a lot of people getting a license by memorizing the answers using practice exams, only to immediately drop out of the hobby because they knew nothing about ham radio and didn't know where to start. It is our hope that people will use our online, interactive courses to actually learn something, and become active hams. However, for those who just want to memorize the answers, ours is the best site for that, too.

John Cunningham, W1AI

Status
Not open for further replies.