Bergen County 800 MHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
From their license:
90.17A - RADIO IS TO BE UTILIZED FOR GOVERNMENTAL MOBILE DATA RADIO SYSTEM.
Otherwise know as MDT"s

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
It's a backup system, just like 155.5500 and 477.2875 are still analogf
On these old 800 MHz MDT channels now used as back up as reported. Any idea of the PL, DPL or NAC used? If known please post and submitt to DB. Thanks

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
On these old 800 MHz MDT channels now used as back up as reported. Any idea of the PL, DPL or NAC used? If known please post and submitt to DB. Thanks

MDT = Mobile Data Terminal. There is no PL/DPL/NAC, the transmissions are a stream of data.

IF this frequency is still active (no confirmation as of yet), then it would go into the database as: Type BM, Mode Telm, Service Tag of Data, and the tone field is left blank.

I find it dubious that there is a "backup" MDT channel, as that would require the old modems to still be installed in the vehicles. Chances are they simply continue to renew the license because it's free and public safety rarely gets called out by the FCC for non-usage of dormant frequencies. Why give up a potentially valuable resource, like an 800 MHz frequency in the NYC metro area, if no one forces you to?

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
MDT = Mobile Data Terminal. There is no PL/DPL/NAC, the transmissions are a stream of data.

IF this frequency is still active (no confirmation as of yet), then it would go into the database as: Type BM, Mode Telm, Service Tag of Data, and the tone field is left blank.

I find it dubious that there is a "backup" MDT channel, as that would require the old modems to still be installed in the vehicles. Chances are they simply continue to renew the license because it's free and public safety rarely gets called out by the FCC for non-usage of dormant frequencies. Why give up a potentially valuable resource, like an 800 MHz frequency in the NYC metro area, if no one forces you to?

That is what I had in the DB when I received this info. I have it listed now as a back up / inter ops for the county.
Now if these 800 Freqs. are only "FCC deed to hold onto RF spectrum real estate" and there is no usage noted whatsoever. They will be deleted.

It's like an old commercial I heard about gold possession.
The announcer was so empathetic "The best hedge against inflation is to physically posses the gold" Like Scrooge counting his gold. It's the same way with agencies "physically possessing the(their)frequency(s)" though they never may or will use them?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I have it listed now as a back up / inter ops for the county.

So, we're to believe that a county that is entirely VHF and UHF (including a countywide T-Band trunked system) maintains backup channels on 800 MHz? :confused: :roll:

Again, highly dubious, especially when basing it on of an off-the-cuff post by someone who now lives in Cape May (and who doesn't even have these frequencies listed on his own BergenScanner.com website, no less).

Arbitrarily adding things to the database that have no basis in fact is how useless junk accumulates over the years. :wink:

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
So, we're to believe that a county that is entirely VHF and UHF (including a countywide T-Band trunked system) maintains backup channels on 800 MHz? :confused: :roll:

Again, highly dubious, especially when basing it on of an off-the-cuff post by someone who now lives in Cape May (and who doesn't even have these frequencies listed on his own BergenScanner.com website, no less).

Arbitrarily adding things to the database that have no basis in fact is how useless junk accumulates over the years. :wink:
I can verify the county does maintain a repeater system (analog) on the listed VHF and UHF frequencies for inter-ops and patching to the trunk system monitoring activity myself hearing radio traffic on them.

However, over the weekend through next week( since I am the area), I do some monitoring myself with radio and software to log if any radio traffic Bergen County wise indeed comes through.
Also the reason I posted here, for other RR members who might have relevant issues on these 2 800 Freq(s). I'll also update the DB, and wait for more solid conformation on this either from my own motoring, post or submission.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
VHF and UHF backup and patches, yes. 800 MHz backup? Doubtful.

Posting about those 800 MHz frequencies here is fine. Adding them to the wiki is fine.

Adding unconfirmed frequencies to the database is not in line with RR policy. ;)

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Having "backup frequencies" in today's high-tech radio environment makes as much sense as a police department having a "backup" of six-shooters in case the semi-autos don't work anymore, or an FD having a truck with wooden ladders in case a Tower Ladder breaks down.

Even though they keep these frequencies, I would question if anyone in Bergen County government knows for a fact that there are a cache of radios (without an inch of dust on them) to work on those frequencies if they needed this "backup." I doubt it very much.

No one takes a step backwards anymore. Motorola makes sure of that!

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

Regardless of what the license says that they are for a MDT system, Depending on what other surrounding jurisdictions use, it may make sense to have 800MHz repeaters patched to the T-Band trunk system. Not having local knowledge of the system, makes this purely speculation. It is also doubtful that they are used for outside access, simply with what is stated on the license.

Nothing new for RR. The county I live in was a mess of unconfirmed crap. The frequencies were not even correct, never mind who used what.

VHF and UHF backup and patches, yes. 800 MHz backup? Doubtful.

Makes sense in a UHF county.

Adding unconfirmed frequencies to the database is not in line with RR policy. ;)

Sadly this happens way too much

Having "backup frequencies" in today's high-tech radio environment makes as much sense as a police department having a "backup" of six-shooters in case the semi-autos don't work anymore...

Not sure if being serious or sarcastic...

Clearly you have zero understanding for first responder comms.

EVERY first responder radio should have some form of backup channels. Whether it is simplex or repeated.

My department issued radio has:

1 County repeat
2 County T/A
3 PW repeat
4 PW T/A
5 Department T/A(really just a licensed simplex only channel)
6 Mutual Aid(Province wide, simplex Fire Mutual Aid frequency)
7 Provincial Ambulance (Province wide, simplex Mutual Aid frequency)
8 Ambulance repeater(not in use since they went to a different network)

Plus 8 more frequencies.

Our radios have more 'back up' channels than anything else.

Operating on a trunk system, ALL radios should be set up for some form of fail soft, in the event the repeater site loses communication with the network core.

All radios should also have, at minimum, one simplex frequency as well, in the event the entire network fails. Ideally there would also be at least one back up repeater in the event the entire network fails.

Nobody takes steps backwards IF they let Motorola/Harris/Kenwood/Tait/Ect lead them to believe the radio network will never fail. Look what just happened in Washington State, a P25 trunk system that failed, after officials were led to believe it never would. These are complex systems, that can and do fail. Not planning to experience a failure is bad. Very very bad. Agencies should be planning for failures, and practicing the failure plans. So when it does happen, they can react, and have as little impact on operations as much as practical.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Not having local knowledge of the system, makes this purely speculation.

Respectfully, you're on the other side of the continent, so I'm not sure why you'd be weighing in on a local issue that you freely admit you have no knowledge of. :confused:

radiomanNJ1

Having "backup frequencies" in today's high-tech radio environment makes as much sense as a police department having a "backup" of six-shooters in case the semi-autos don't work anymore, or an FD having a truck with wooden ladders in case a Tower Ladder breaks down.

Even though they keep these frequencies, I would question if anyone in Bergen County government knows for a fact that there are a cache of radios (without an inch of dust on them) to work on those frequencies if they needed this "backup." I doubt it very much.

Where are they backing up anything? Certainly not radios. There are NO 800 MHz radios in the cars of the Sheriff. If they were truly backups to the data system there would have to be a way to switch to them on the MDT.

It's just a license that was in use and keeps getting renewed. Perhaps when and IF T band ever goes away they can utilize the 800 MHz????

Status
Not open for further replies.