• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Best “discrete” portable radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
Looking for suggestions on a VHF Durable, powerful, and slim/small portable. Preferably with good RX sensitivity, 5w TX, and MDC. Example: VX-824/829 series. Thanks

n1das

I was thinking of the EX-500 or EX-600 for VHF if analog is OK.

For 900MHz digital on-site business use, check out the Motorola DLR series. They are smaller than most GMRS/FRS bubble packs. I own a fleet of DLR1060 radios and they work amazingly well. They are great for covert operation.
DLR Series - Motorola Solutions
DLR1060 - Motorola Solutions

For non-Motorola, my favorite is the Hytera X1p digital covert radio for DMR and analog. The X1p is available in VHF and UHF.
X1P

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
I was thinking of the EX-500 or EX-600 for VHF if analog is OK.

For 900MHz digital on-site business use, check out the DLR series. They are smaller than most GMRS/FRS bubble packs. I own a fleet of DLR1060 radios and they work amazingly well. They are great for covert operation.
DLR Series - Motorola Solutions
DLR1060 - Motorola Solutions

EX series is amazing! Good suggestion, they are sturdy little portables. I will check the DLR series out, unfortunately around my neck of the woods only power companies use 900.

n1das

The little DLRs are FHSS digital radios and operate at 1W under Part 15 on the 902-928 band. They are not monitorable on any consumer grade receiver (scanner) because of the VSELP digital and FHSS operation. While technically not encrypted, they can be made very secure. They work amazingly well from my experience with them.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

12dbsinad

Icom F52D with a stubby antenna. Not sure what you're looking for a protocol but it does analog/MDC and NXDN digital. It's also packed with features.
It's one of the smallest radio out there.

prcguy

I think a Racal/Thales MSHR would be a great choice for a covert radio. Its 5W, very thin, extremely durable and has dribble wire antenna options, wireless in ear options and other neat features. Most were sold to the FBI and other Govt agencies for covert use.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I think a Racal/Thales MSHR would be a great choice for a covert radio. Its 5W, very thin, extremely durable and has dribble wire antenna options, wireless in ear options and other neat features. Most were sold to the FBI and other Govt agencies for covert use.
Can you get software or batteries for them? They look cool but seem unobtanium.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

prcguy

NOS batteries, I have a bunch thanks to another RR member and they can be rebuilt with some effort. I have programming software but have not fired it up yet. Otherwise its a very nice radio, similar in operation to the Racal/Thales T25 and MBITR, but closer to the MBITR. The MSHR is not something you would normally come across and is more of a collectors item, but it meets most of the criteria the OP is looking for. I suspect most surplus MSHR radios were destroyed due to the integrated Type 1 crypto, but a few were demilled, removing the crypto, then surplussed and are otherwise functional.

Can you get software or batteries for them? They look cool but seem unobtanium.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

PACNWDude

If you do not have a license, do not need it to be VHF, and can live with 1 watt output and about a mile range, +1 on either the Motorola DTR or DLR series radios. They have great audio, are smaller than most handheld commercial radios, and as has been stated, relatively secure from monitoring if you do not leave them defaulted. Most people think I am on an "old school" cell phone when I use them. They can also use earpiece mics, headsets, and other options that make them look more like a phone to the casual person nearby.

D

DaveNF2G

Each different radio you carry is a discrete radio. A radio that is not obvious to an onlooker would be a discreet radio.

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
Each different radio you carry is a discrete radio. A radio that is not obvious to an onlooker would be a discreet radio.

Ha! That is true. I could’ve re phrased this post better. Basically I was looking for suggestions on what folks carry for a small sized on the go radio. I’ve had good results with the VX-824.

twl911

My "discrete" carry portable started with a tk-2140, upgraded that to an EX-560Xls for smaller size and weight and need for MDC1200, now I have added a tk-5220 with addition of P25 capabilities. I only carry the 560 now when P25 isn't going to be needed, but the minimal size and weight increase of the 5220 sometimes make the choice between the two difficult.

n1das

I like my UHF Hytera X1p because it is so small and slips right into a pants pocket so easily. I keep it in the right front pocket and I often forget I have it with me. It beats dealing with a brick of a radio that can't be pocketed easily.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Didn't the USSS buy a bunch of the APX3000 radios? I remember discussing who was using them, but can't recall the primary player. When I toured Motorola's CCSI facility in Elgin, the group I was with (mix of different customers with systems in the facility) alluded to it being USSS. TT

Status
Not open for further replies.