Best antenna for Pro-106

Status
Not open for further replies.

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
Anyone have any recommendations for antennas for my pro-106. I want to upgrade from the stock antenna, as i am starting to get some reception problems. I am mainly listening to public safety channels on the FM band in the 150 range.

teufler

monitor antenna

I use an Austin Spretra antenna. it covers from 900 mhz down to low band, or you can get a mag mount antenna, I have a Tram 1180 dual band . These are inside antennas. Outside a discone or a tall vertical dual band works fine. An old tv antenna rotated to vertical rather than horizontal or a vhf beam works for distance reception. For most, with about a 30 mile range, an enternal mag mount works fine. I have a tape measure beam, that I built . Costs about $9.00 and its got good gain and is directional. Scanning does not require the best antenna as you will hear most anything. If you are scanning or monitoring to hear the news before its in the morning paper, an inside mag mount works fine. mag mounts can stick to the top of the scanner, or a icebox or anything metal. if you have a drop ceiling with a metal frame, you can mount the antenna upside down If you can find some rg58 coax, at the end, peal back the insulation so you have an 19" center conductor. take the top and make a curl or twist the top. this is what will hold the antenna up. the other end, a bnc connector is attached. you will have an optiman length antenna for vhf, mine I use a suction cup for attaching to the window.. Good reception and cheap, and it works.

Bubba1661

WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Diamond RH77CA

I use the Diamond RH77CA also, I have two, one for my Pro-106 and the other on my 2m KGUV6D v2 Wouxun. They are great antennas.

Drkatzjr45

Senior Member - Emeritus
Premium Subscriber
I have tried over 5-6 antennas, and found.... you simply can't beat the Radio Shack 800mhz!!!

kf4uuz

If you're limited to a duck antenna, try ScannerMaster stock # 13540714.
This is a Larsen antenna primarily for 700-800 MHZ. They are available in BNC or SMA. Currently on sale for $29.99.
IMHO, after you try this antenna, you'll never look back at the RS 800 MHZ antenna.

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
I have tried over 5-6 antennas, and found.... you simply can't beat the Radio Shack 800mhz!!!

I second that! It's not as tall as the Diamond and a LOT more portable for taking places. Even though I've found the Diamond does a little better on VHF, the performance of the Radio Shack 800 antenna is so outstanding that I have several of them. You ought to get one and try it out. :)

DickH

Yes, it's very good on 800MHz, BUT he wants a better antenna for 150MHz and the RS 800MHz will not do what he needs.

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it's very good on 800MHz, BUT he wants a better antenna for 150MHz and the RS 800MHz will not do what he needs.

Yes, you’re right. The 800 antenna wouldn’t be the best choice for 150 MHz, although I have sometimes been pleasantly surprised at how well it performs on bands other than 800 and that’s why I thought it might at least be worth a try. I use my Diamond RH77CA mostly for air at home attached to a magmount, but I worry that its weight and length might stress a radio’s antenna connection when portable. Other VHF possibilities that come to mind are some of the telescoping antennas and 2 meter antennas. But when I have compared the ones I have to the Diamond, they haven’t been as effective. I hope the OP will be pleased with the results of the Diamond and let us know how it works out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.