Best Antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgbrengel

Premium Subscriber
Looking for some input.

I'm a Sheriff's Deputy working in northern Illinois. I've been carrying a GRE PSR500 in my squad for several years now (listen to State Police, local towns...wide range from conventional uhf/vhf to digital and trunked systems).

When I first started carrying the scanner I purchased a 800 MHZ antenna for the scanner that plugs directly onto the unit however the signal strength still wasn't great. So I purchased a Larsen mag mount scanner antenna and put that on the trunk of my squad. Signal strength was great however, when I transmitted from my in-car radio the power would overload my scanner and thus, I blew out the RF board twice on my scanner and had to send it into GRE for repairs.

I'm looking for some ideas on what scanner antenna I should purchase so I get good signal reception but it's not super strong that my in-car radio overloads the scanner. The Larsen antenna seemed to work great but would make the scanner too sensitive and the 800mhz direct plugged on antenna didn't do the job.

The trick is I need to keep the antenna either mag mount or something simple (department won't allow drilling holes into the car or anything permanent).

Thanks for the help!

IowaGuy1603

Been using a mag mount scanner antenna for ages next to my ham radios (50--75 watt)

make sure there is some spacing ..............I put the ham antenna on one side and the scanner on the other side of the trunk lid

I have a mini mag mount with BNC ends that I plug my GRE800 into and slap on the roof of my transport (prisoner) van about 2 ft from the transmit antenna of our Public Safety radio

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
I had that issue with my PSR-600. It was about 18" from my public safety radio. I moved the antenna to the front corner of the hood (most think that is the FM radio antenna since my car doesn't have one). A small one on the top of your car may be a good option too. I also did not have an issue with my Ham Radios only with the Public Safety Band.. I used a Larson Lip mount with a Larson NMO Scanner antenna, it picks everything up great and I have not had an issue since.

dfbarnes

I've had good luck with the Sencomm NMO.

SenComm NMO Mount Antenna | 700MHz 800MHz 900MHz Mobile Antenna

...which has done a better job of keeping things audible while I'm moving (sometimes pretty quick,) or when I'm in a densely populated area with lots of tall(ish) buildings and such.

It's never been closer than about 24 inches at least from the VHF transmit antenna, and I haven't had any issues while transmitting. I don't scan a lot of VHF anymore though, if that makes any difference in regards to that issue.

It does cause a bit of a sensitivity issue when I'm close to a site, but the built-in ATT on the scanner has done pretty good there honestly.

The Sencomm is NOT inconspicuous if that matters at your agency. It's pretty big, and prompts a few "what the h#ll is that, doppler RADAR?" comments from other officers / command staff.

ad5kl

Premium Subscriber
Spacing will be the biggest issue. Try to get the scanner antenna as far away from your transmitting SO antenna. If it is on the trunk, then try the hood with your scanner antenna. Experiment with your mag-mount antenna & also try to keep the scanner coax as far away from the SO radio's coax. You can then get a no-drill lip mount antenna to get a cleaner install.

You may also try wrapping a section of your scanner's power lead around a ferrite filter choke (found at Radio Shack) just in case you're getting some extra RF through there. Good luck.

RadioShack® Snap-Together Ferrite Choke Core - RadioShack.com

Status
Not open for further replies.