• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Best Buy: FCC has no power to fine us over analog TVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
How refarkingdiculous. Nevermind the fact that a large majority of the "viewing public" watch either cable or satellite in which case the analog sets the FCC is yammering on about will still work just fine years after the dreaded 2/17/09 deadline. For those that don't, a converter can be had relatively inexpensively that will bring that analog set right back to life. Whoopty doo.

Much ado about nothing - Best Buy is right to fight this nonsense and other retailers should too.

-AZ

lgentle

Not to mention that if someone is coming in to a Best Buy specifically to buy a new TV, the first thing consumers see; at least all the Best Buy's I've walked into recently, have a table at the front door with digital TV converter boxes. That should give comsumers a heads up.

The TV's may not be labeled, but, the people coming in sure can't miss these converter boxes. You have to walk around the table!

SkipSanders

Silent Key
The Commission is working here on the same basis as it bans cellular scanners, by the way, it's authority to require ANY sort of requirement for part 15 radiators (which any TV is).

The FCC regulates electric shavers the same way, as a source of possible interference.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Money is the pliers used to pull the paper tiger's teeth. Since I was licensed in 1995 I have seen numerous cases where the little guys get screwed while the big boys with good lawyers, the best the other guy's money can't buy out from under you thumb their noses. The FCC has had these cases pending indefinitely with nowhere to turn with them and I have seen them slapped back in place many times.

The key word here is "commission" and by definition it has no legal enforcement power nor can it collect fines. It must operate through the federal law enforcement and judiciary channels of the Treasury Department. I do believe the term "rent a cop" applies as store security lacks the power of arrest, they can detain you and harass you only if you allow them to because they lack legal jurisdiction. FYI, while law enforcement is exempt you can sue the pants off private security.

As for YOU little boy, don't mess with the big boys or they'll bury you unless daddy has a shovel made of gold. Now go on your way whistling a happy tune and don't get any funny ideas; Batman is rich and you're not.

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if the FCC has the authority or not. If they don't, I find it interesting that they are using intimidation to imply that they do! Seems to be a lot of that going on in our Government these days.

Maybe it's time to remind them that it's Government by the people, for the people.

red8

GreatLakes said:
I don't know if the FCC has the authority or not. If they don't, I find it interesting that they are using intimidation to imply that they do! Seems to be a lot of that going on in our Government these days.

Maybe it's time to remind them that it's Government by the people, for the people.
Just like the IRS.

jb872033

I think that Best Buy might want to put a warning on analog only products, but at the same time consumers should be educated before purchasing someting like a TV...it take me months to buy anything...i research it thouroughly and completely...it always seems like we are too quick to make other people responsible for our mistakes...if you buy an analog tv without researching anything then it is your problem...in any sense though this seems like a comsumer protection issue not the FCC...as long as it is not illegal to monitor those bands i dont understand why they are taking on a role such as the one they are here...comsumer protectors...let them do their job if they think it is necessary...mho

JB

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I liked when Best Buy said they didn't wilfully put the TV sets out on shelves
LOL then who did?

They knew what they were doing trying to unload analog TV's from inventory.

Interesting Wal Mart was also fined.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Who really cares is my point. My biggest thing is people should have made an informed decision when they bought a TV. It is not the government's job to do it for them. As long as the non digital tvs didn't say they were digital then I would like to know what they did wrong. It's not like you have to have a license from the FCC to sell TVs. Maybe it can maybe it can't but I find it stupid that it can because the government shouldn't have to hold a consumer's hand. Think the government really gives a crap about average joe consumer? That would be a first that is for sure. Only when they can make money is when they care.

Had to throw that rant out there. :lol:

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
jb872033 said:
I think that Best Buy might want to put a warning on analog only products, but at the same time consumers should be educated before purchasing someting like a TV...it take me months to buy anything...i research it thouroughly and completely...it always seems like we are too quick to make other people responsible for our mistakes...if you buy an analog tv without researching anything then it is your problem...in any sense though this seems like a comsumer protection issue not the FCC...as long as it is not illegal to monitor those bands i dont understand why they are taking on a role such as the one they are here...comsumer protectors...let them do their job if they think it is necessary...mho

JB
That is basically what I just said in my above post.

Why do they do it? Because they see that they may be able to make $$$$. If the $$$$ wasn't a factor you can bet your rear end that they wouldn't give a flying one.

jb872033

its ntus..ill bet they are making a hell of a lot of money off of this gig already...new lisensing i am sure will need to take place with a lot of comemrcial stations...money there as well as a host of other things i am sure have "charges" attached to them...its insane

MIKETECH

In the same respect, should the FCC crack down on radioshack for selling scanners whose trunktracking will be useless after rebanding? (i.e. PRO-97)

Don_Burke

MIKETECH said:
In the same respect, should the FCC crack down on radioshack for selling scanners whose trunktracking will be useless after rebanding? (i.e. PRO-97)
No, the scanners will continue to be useful after rebanding.

That is unlike the analog TV receivers that will have severe limitations after the shutdown of terrestrial analog TV transmitters.

In any case, Radio Shack is not breaking rules by selling the scanners. If there were such rules, this would be a different discussion.

MIKETECH

That is unlike the analog TV receivers that will have severe limitations after the shutdown of terrestrial analog TV transmitters.
Wrong. As stated earlier in the thead, cable and satelite viewers will be just fine, and the others can buy a somewhat inexpensive converter box to watch over the air programming. As far as older tunking scanners, there will be no converter box to buy. My point is, I'm sure by now most best buy employees trying to sell an analog television know to at least tell the customer about what's going on with analog broadcasting, and suggest the purchase of a digital converter if needed. On the other hand, Most radioshack employees don't even know what rebanding is. I just don't think it's fair for them to advertise a "Triple Trunking Scanner" when when the trunking feature will be useless within a few years.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Somehow a lot of people are missing the point of the FCC's position here, including Best Buy.
  • Cable/Satellite reception is not the point, the TV broadcast industry is ordered (with low power exceptions) to cease broadcasting analog signals next February.
  • The FCC ordered dealers/manufacturers who sell televisions that receive analog only signals to place a warning label on the device that such devices will cease to receive over the air broadcasts next February. This order does not affect monitors or ATSC capable units.
  • Best Buy's claim that the FCC doesn't have the jurisdiction in this matter is completely bogus; indeed, in the US, it is the only governmental agency that has such jurisdiction.
  • Best Buy's claim that they cannot identify such equipment in it's stock is also completely bogus. Their own web site has no problem (indeed I could not find an analog TV listed on the web site after a brief search), so why do the stores?
  • Again, cable or satellite or even the availability of converter boxes is not the issue. Selling a TV that the reception of over-the-air signals will cease in less than a year without warning the consumer is the issue. The FCC is not saying you can't sell them, simply that you can't rip off the consumer by not warning them.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
MIKETECH said:

My pro-97 will trunktrack my work's 900mhz system just fine, so just because some systems have changed things dramatically after the scanner was designed and sold, why would that be RS fault?

BTW, can I use the same excuse for my uniden 235 :D

Thayne

Premium Subscriber
Anybody that buys a new TV should be smart enough to know what they are buying; but any salesman should be able to prove that he told the customer the real deal.

It looks like to me that Comcast cable subscribers will have to rent a box from them($4.99 a month for each) so for them to say cable subscribers won't be impacted is misleading also.
Comcast won't say, but I bet that is what will happen. They won't go to the trouble to turn the digital back to analog on their system, just so cheap asses like me without one of their boxes can keep watching. Maybe sometime there will be some boxes sold that will do QAM + ATSC.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Thayne said:
It looks like to me that Comcast cable subscribers will have to rent a box from them($4.99 a month for each) so for them to say cable subscribers won't be impacted is misleading also.
Comcast won't say, but I bet that is what will happen. They won't go to the trouble to turn the digital back to analog on their system, just so cheap asses like me without one of their boxes can keep watching. Maybe sometime there will be some boxes sold that will do QAM + ATSC.
Interesting that you brought this up. ComCast techs were out at my place this afternoon looking into the failure of my modem (telephone & Internet) on the 20th. They pulled up the history and noted that several people in the area had the same problem at the same time (afternoon of the 20th) which coincides with a change they (ComCast) made on an equipment upgrade in the area to handle the complete conversion to 100% digital signals by next February. I am sure that these guys know what they are talking about but I also am sure they were not "speaking" for ComCast.

In that regard I never heard anyone from ComCast say that cable subscribers would not be affected; I have heard the talking heads on TV say that, but that doesn't commit cable companies to that stance. Remember, right now most local television stations feed cable companies signals in two forms, analog and digital, why would TV stations continue to do that when they no longer have to generate an analog signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.