Best Car computer for my money

Status
Not open for further replies.

pointman1177

Okay so my job requires me to take my laptop with me into the field but my current laptop has too loose of a screen and I prefer to not put it in my car and just use it at home.

I'm looking for a laptop such as the toughbook or a car computer to install in my 2001 suburban. I went to the local computer store and we figures it would run me around 200 plus a monitor plus installation supplies for a carputer by acer.

Then I went to the local public saftey store and they have a few Motorola MW 520's for sale 100 a piece. But these are outdated and slow. I would like to upgrade one of them and make it suit my needs.

I am starting to find newer motorola computers for cheap and feel that it may be worth my while to invest in one since they will be taking alot of abuse on these Michigan roads and the weather. I would like to upgrade the ram to get things on the internet surfing good and memory isn't a big deal because most of my work stuff stays online. I need help should I get an upgraded toughbook, a motorola, an acer from the local computer store???? I need something in my vehicle regardless and must be able to acess the internet quickly.

thank you in advance.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I'd stick with a CF29 or CF30 Toughbook. Make sure you know the hours of use and the features it has before you buy it.

I've seen some loaded CF29s going for cheap lately.

Also make sure it comes with the install disks for the drivers and OS. There are several versions of install disks, so be sure it will work with the model number that you choose. We had a lot of CF29s at work with different model numbers. For example, a CF-29CTK software disk set would not work for the CF-29NTQ. I didn't like the CTK models as the ones we had only had one USB port.

Last edited:

pointman1177

thank you, yes I think I decided on a toughbook, found some really nice cf-29's on ebay. Searched my local craigslist and found a cf-18 for 240 any thoughts on that computer? thank you

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Bought a CF-29 on eBay a year or so ago for around $500. I love it, I highly recommend it assuming you get one from a dealer who takes the time to test and upgrade before selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.