• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Best cheap CCR

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
I need a recommendation on the best, cheap CCR. It’s a starter radio for a kid and I don’t have the funds for anything more than that. He can get a nice one on his own dime.

brndnstffrd

For the price of a CCR you could get a decent used commercial radio. Alot of sellers even offer programming included so that would eliminate that hurdle. It will be a single band radio, but better to get them a more reliable and quality radio and give them a good start, than to get a CCR that may crap out after a couple months.

What exactly do you consider cheap? A rough budget would help. Less than 100? 50? Also how old is the recipient?

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
Less than 100, more like 50. And while commercial is nice, you have to pay for programming software if you want to make changes and that’s just an extra burden. This is just a starter radio for them, so if it last a year, great. Plus if they end up abandoning ham radio, there would be no great loss. I’ve read reviews on Amazon and like most things, it’s either the greatest radio ever or worthless. I was hoping for answers from people that have hands on experience.

brndnstffrd

Even though you mention the programming issue I still have to vote in favor of a commercial radio. That said I do have some experience with the CCR's and if I had to pick one, id say a Wouxun KG UV9D. It actually performs decent compared to most CCR's and has a very good RX range including AM air and 800 MHZ (analog obviously). It also has a 1000 channel capacity and multiple scanlists broken into groups of 100 unlike most other CCR's. It also scans somewhere in the range of 2-3 times the speed of similar radios. I keep one around to punch in RX frequencies not already programmed into my other radios. That said, it still does suffer from front-end overload and the other downfalls of the CCR's. Also if its not in use, remove the battery as it will drain it down in 1-2 weeks of not being used.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Grab a used yaesu ft60r. Awesome radio for the money and its not a CCR. They're around $160 new so a used one for less than $100 is common. Had one for years and have zero complaints on mine. Rock solid cheap name brand radio that will outlast a dozen CCR's.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the suggestion. The kid is 10 and is my cousins kid, that’s why I wasn’t looking to spend a ton. I have a nicer one (anytone 868) for myself but knowing this kid, I didn’t want to invest too deeply into him just in case he flakes.

danesgs

I am lost on the term of CCR, but am sure if we are talking about a two way the FT-60r is fantastic if getting a used one. If you want to "enlighten" him to radio with extras then a Anytone UV 3318 would be be another choice or the 3208 both of which are in the 80-100 dollar range and built to last much longer than a Baofeng. At 10 year old ease of use would be a plus when it comes to menu systems as well.

PrivatelyJeff

Premium Subscriber
Cheap Chinese radio. I’m having a hard time finding the ones you said online. I might get him a better one later, after he’s proven himself to be worth spending more on. We don’t have a local group to talk much with so idk how much he may get out of all this. If he still into it later, then I’ll get him a better one or give him an extra one of mine. Plus it might help him appreciate spending money on quality items versus going cheap.

NC1

Look on ebay. I saw a new Baofeng UV-5R for $19.99 with free shipping. It is from China, so you will have to wait a few weeks.
If you get the programming cable (about $6 to $8), you can use CHIRP on your computer to get it programmed in about 10 minutes or less.

danesgs

Cheap Chinese radio. I’m having a hard time finding the ones you said online. I might get him a better one later, after he’s proven himself to be worth spending more on. We don’t have a local group to talk much with so idk how much he may get out of all this. If he still into it later, then I’ll get him a better one or give him an extra one of mine. Plus it might help him appreciate spending money on quality items versus going cheap.
google wouxun.us

danesgs

You could spend 26 bucks on a Baofeng or Hesenate UV82, they are built way better than a UV5R and look and feel like a HT not a toy radio. Go to Amazon and type in UV82 in the search box.

NC1

You could spend 26 bucks on a Baofeng or Hesenate UV82, they are built way better than a UV5R and look and feel like a HT not a toy radio. Go to Amazon and type in UV82 in the search box.

That is also a good radio. I have one and it is a decent entry level radio at a good price.
I found one listed in ebay for $21.99 with free shipping, and it is located in NJ so delivery will be only a couple days.
Here is a link:
Baofeng UV-82 Two Way Radio UHF VHF Dual-Band Walkie Talkie Ham Transceiver 700729912225 | eBay

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
I have a nicer one (anytone 868) for myself but knowing this kid, I didn’t want to invest too deeply into him just in case he flakes.
This may very well be the investment that helps him to learn and accomplish worthwhile things through his own efforts. Especially when it comes from someone he knows that cares.

needairtime

I have a UV82 and broke it twice already :eek: "fixed" them however, though not perfectly.

Definitely still a CCR. And yes this is only good for ham, not certified for part 90 (unless you look for an UV82C).

(BTW, looks like a lot of the UV5Rs are preparing for the 25% tariff...or are they?)

Status
Not open for further replies.