Best Digital radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

usnasa

Hello all first off just wanted to say this site is the best out there I have a question I hope i posted in the right section . I have a question about digital radios which im thinking about buying im in NYC and would like some thoughts on which are the best Desktop digial radios around , and what i mean by best is : Easy to program , Performance , clarity, frimware updates ETC..
just some thoughts would be helpfully

thanks

Eng74

usnasa said:
Hello all first off just wanted to say this site is the best out there I have a question I hope i posted in the right section . I have a question about digital radios which im thinking about buying im in NYC and would like some thoughts on which are the best Desktop digial radios around , and what i mean by best is : Easy to program , Performance , clarity, frimware updates ETC..
just some thoughts would be helpfully

thanks

Ther are only three to pick from and all three have their die hard fans. Two are from GRE, the PRO-2096 (made for Radio Shack), the PSR-600 and the 996 by Uniden. The 600 and the 996 are the new ones on the block. With new scanners there is no easy to program. You need to get software and that is like asking which radio is better. For sound and digital everyone says that the GRE made radios are the best no tweeking with settings. Best thing to do is check the Radio Shack, GRE, Uniden, and the NY sections. See what radio people think works best in NY .

af5rn

LOL@easy to program! You might as well be looking for military intelligence.

Like 74 said, the choices are pretty narrow, so at least you won't have to do a lot of research. Basically a trip to any scanner shoppe will give you what you need to decide. But programmability is a booger on any of them. None of them are easy. I don't know what software is available for the RS or GRE radios, but I am certainly relieved that there is freeware available for the Bearcat that allows you to simply upload systems from here at the Radio Reference database, or I'd still be trying to figure out how to make this thing work. I don't know how prevalent trunking is in your area, but where I iive, it took literally days to get the systems programmed into one scanner. If I had to type them all in by hand, as you do with the factory software, I'd have sent the damn thing back and given up.

Status
Not open for further replies.