best HF receiver ever????

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE4EVL

I like the IC7300 I own alot. Like others said, if you like it and enjoy it, then it is the best!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

majoco

Stirrer
There's a Collins 651S-1 on our auction site at the moment - top bid so far is $2 !!!! Expires tomorrow and for local pickup only - only a few miles from me - tatty condition but he says it works apart from the "S"meter light.

scoobis

Premium Subscriber
There's a Collins 651S-1 on our auction site at the moment - top bid so far is $2 !!!! Expires tomorrow and for local pickup only - only a few miles from me - tatty condition but he says it works apart from the "S"meter light.

I hope you picked it up just on general principles :)
if so tell us how you like it.

majoco

Stirrer
Well, I was a bit p****d off to tell the truth. It was due to expire at about 5pm local on Sunday - I looked at the auction in the morning, the top bid at that time was NZ$102 which I was prepared to go over if necessary. About 3pm I looked again, the $102 bid was still there but the seller had withdrawn it from the auction. Somebody had done some background deal I guess but that's dirty tricks I reckon.

I'm sure I would have liked it very much, thankyou. It's got some pretty good writeups, but we'll never know now. If it comes back on the market with a different seller he can stick it!

majoco

Stirrer
Probably out of most guy's price range!
There are plenty of the early crystallised Codans on the used market around here and they do have very good receivers - channelised receivers usually do as you tune the early stages for that particular frequency. Codan were one of the first users of 'voice operated squelch' which apparently works very well. Extensively used out in the boonies of Australia of course.

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
Best I've ever encountered is the CODAN 2110.
They are a great unit. Even the audio out of the small speaker/transducer behind the half inch hole on the top panel sounds great :)

I've always been impressed with the receiver in Codan models.

pjxii

Cubic CDR-3250

Just an update on the cubic CDR-3250 experience.

i was tuning around and hit an odd station i han't picked up before on 13.800 - Radio Dabanga in Sudanese from Talata Volonondry targeted towards Sudan - and being halfway around the globe, it was an interesting signal. I was on IRC i posted it there, no one could pick it out well, it was in the noise, but I was receiving it clearly. So i switched over to my other receivers on the same antenna, and it was in the noise floor or not receivable at all, depending on the radio. - even my new airspyHF+ wasn't picking out the audio where you could really hear it.

So there ya go...+1 for the mill spec premium type receivers.

I got one after reading this and also the short review on Fenu-Radio. Amazing receiver! I've taken the bandwidth filter down to 1.9 kHz on a longwave signal from Medi 1 to cope with static crashes and still the audio output is very clear, this is AM and not using SSB. Easy to use as well (Fenu says "unfriendly," I don't understand that observation at all).

majoco

Stirrer
Perhaps you should not ask for 'the best' but 'ideal' - then you'll get answers that suit the average user without having bottomless bank accounts! I tend to go for radios that I can fix if they go wrong, but I do confess to really liking my WinRadio G33DDC. I like knob-twiddling so my go-to HF radio is a JRC NRD 515,for VHF an Icom R7000 and for VLF/LF I have an ex-marine Debeg 7313 and an HP 3586A SLM. For a different sort of VHF searching I have a Ailtech Stoddart NM37/57A Field Intensity Meter which is incredibly sensitive and I can use it as a spectrum analyser too when attached to an oscilloscope. Would have cost the gummint a fortune (along with the HP3586A) but I bought them non-working for a pittance - fortunately easily fixed.

scoobis

Premium Subscriber
I like the IC7300 I own alot. Like others said, if you like it and enjoy it, then it is the best!

I'll have to give the ic-7300 a good side by side with other radios. though, on just a quick a/b it was hard to really say it was better or worse than any of the dedicated receivers i have. Though it's really deaf on VLF

I do like the passband abilities on the ic-7300

Status
Not open for further replies.