Best Ignition sense connection 2013 Fusion Hybrid

KD4CSO

Premium Subscriber
Hi. I'm getting ready to add another radio to my collection. (I already have installed two Yaesu FT-8800s, and "Converta Coms" for Motorola a MX-350s, an Astro Saber III and a B-K portable.) Neither the Yaesus nor the B/K care about ignition sense. So I just turn them off when I get out of the car.

However, Motorolas have that wire (and the 110w Astro Spectra coming has a line for TX ignition sense also). For the low-power MX350 and ASVA, I've just pulled the 12V from a switched cigarette lighter, fused at 5A. (My Fusion, for some reason, has one switched and one un-switched cigarette lighter jack.)

So...my question is: Where's a good place to grab switched 12-volt? Something more elegant (and more robust) than a cigarette lighter jack. Is there a wiring harness I can butt splice into?

Thanks for any help.

Arthur

I did a quick search over on the Ford Fleet upfitter page, but no luck on 2013 Fusions.

What I've done on some vehicles is to find a powered option that the vehicle does NOT have. We had a few Chevy Colorado's a work and needed to install radios in them. Power feed always goes to the battery, but I still needed an ignition switched circuit for the radios. I don't like tapping into existing wiring if I don't have to.
What I did was use the sun roof circuit. Since these were work trucks, they didn't have that option. The sun roof power wire was taped off in the A pillar. I tracked it down with the help of a wiring schematic. I extended that wire (it was simply taped off to the wiring harness) down to the radios. I put a 3 amp fuse in the "sun roof" slot in the fuse panel.
That was 11 years ago, no issues.

Hi. I'm getting ready to add another radio to my collection. (I already have installed two Yaesu FT-8800s, and "Converta Coms" for Motorola a MX-350s, an Astro Saber III and a B-K portable.) Neither the Yaesus nor the B/K care about ignition sense. So I just turn them off when I get out of the car.

However, Motorolas have that wire (and the 110w Astro Spectra coming has a line for TX ignition sense also). For the low-power MX350 and ASVA, I've just pulled the 12V from a switched cigarette lighter, fused at 5A. (My Fusion, for some reason, has one switched and one un-switched cigarette lighter jack.)

So...my question is: Where's a good place to grab switched 12-volt? Something more elegant (and more robust) than a cigarette lighter jack. Is there a wiring harness I can butt splice into?

Thanks for any help.

Butt splice...? Please no. Solder and Super 33+ or solder and heat shrink . Never those scotch locks. Terrible connections. .

For ignition sense I just use a simple fuse tap into the cigeratte lighter fuse in the fuse box. Most come with a vinyl butt connector so I cut that off and use a solder/heat shrink connector. Then run an 18 AWG to the back where the deck unit is and do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have multiple radios, siren, light controller, etc. I’ll run all my power to a fuse block in the back. Then I stick a Busch relay between that and other fuse block. On the second fuse block I run all my ignition sense wires. Then run one 18 AWG ignition sense wire from the relay to a fuse tap like above. Turn on car and relay switches bringing power to the second fuse block in the back where all the ignition sense wires for all the equipment is connected and call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk