Best 'No Fake News' for U.S. on SW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I'm getting back into SW monitoring. It's been over 45 years since I've had anything to do with SW. I know much has changed with the Internet, and other forms of media and it's not what it used to be.

I'm interested in reliable 'non-fake' news reports pertaining to the U.S., and possibly Russia (in English).

Preferable stations strong enough to be received on a Tecsun PL-880 portable, likely using a 20' wire antenna indoors. I'm located in S.E. Michigan. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
I don't realistically believe that such a thing exists anymore. Absent such choices I'd advise listing to news originating from multiple sources and compare to reports to determine what is real and what has a spin on it. There are 3 sides to every story, multiplied by the number of factions trying present it in favor of their agenda. Anyone who parks on one station and ingests nothing but whatever they are selling is ignorant.

I listen to Radio Havana Cuba when I'm looking for a good belly laugh.

If you want the best "real" news, I would recommend listening to 7490 on Wednesday nights at 9pm eastern.

You can also try 9475 days, and 5830 nights.

But 7490 from 9pm-11pm eastern on Wednesday nights is by far the best.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

nanZor

Ah, the old WBCQ shortwave outlet.

I'm with redbeard about not being able to trust anyone - it's all up to you.

While the emphasis on WBCQ's "free speech" seems admirable, will you trust them to vet and do the requisite background checks for actual facts, or will they just air the opinions of those willing to pay for air time as long as they don't break FCC regulations?

Ie, we're back to square one leaving it up to the smart listener to filter all material and contrast and compare content from *multiple* sources, be they radio / tv / online. This was as true as it was in 1920 as it is today.

In other words - no source from anywhere, be it local, national, or global - radio or otherwise - should be accepted at face value. Shortwave is no guarantee of accountability.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boombox

BBC in English if you can catch it. Many of their broadcasts to Africa and Asia are in English and audible here in the Pacific Northwest, so the OP should be able to pick one of them up.

Their schedule can be found online. I've heard them mainly in the 41 and 49 meter bands.

Also, Radio Havana has news. I wouldn't call it 'fake', albeit biased towards the views of the Cuban government. One could say the same for CRI China.

There really isn't much else in English on the SW. I don't even think VOA broadcasts anywhere in English anymore.

Good luck in DXing the SW bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.