• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Best Noise Blanker CB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannermn10

HI,

Looking for a CB which has a solid noise blanker or NB/ANL combination. Seems that
prices are sort of based on number of knobs on the unit, but haven't found reviews
on the noise reduction feature.

Thanks

jassing

Premium Subscriber
I use the device called the Clipper no power needed just goes in line with your coax and it works well. you can also get something like a used Radio Shack dsp40 to help clean up sound too.

While neither of these are built in to a radio, it does help. I have two radios that should be identical, but one ANL is considerably different.

None of this matters if your trying to blank out alternator whine.

JayMojave

Hello All: I believe the Clipper is a in line attenuator that not only attenuates the noise but also the received signal. Not good.

As with most all EMI/RFI ( Electromagnetic Interference / Radio Frequency Interference ) you want to stop the noise at the source, but not all ways doable or practical. The NB Nose Blankers I've seen usually all work quit well, removing pulse type noises. Allowing the radio receiver to hear most all signals in a mobile installation.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Try running the positive lead directly to the battery, but the negative lead to a chassis ground close to the radio. This has done a lot to remove noise from my AM/SSB based gear.

cmdrwill

The Motorola 'noise blanker' works at the IF stages.

And as KB4MSZ mentions "Try running the positive lead directly to the battery, but the negative lead to a chassis ground close to the radio." IS a very good idea.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I wonder if the Mocat used Motorola's Extender design.

The Extender had two front end filters tuned to different parts of the band. The extra filter sampled noise pulses an "unoccupied" part of the band and blanked the noise impulse after the IF filter delay.

That patent must be long expired by now. Hmm, maybe time for an aftermarket kit for CB radios.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.