Best or good(not crazy expensive) digital phase 2 scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerF18

To go along with my other post....what would be a good overall not to expensive phase 2 digital scanner. Basically want it for local police/fire and EMS....obviously I would use it for other things to if something would happen to my Icom R5 or pro-89. I also don't want to spend a lot ........I realize you pay for what you get but I currently don't have 4-500 dollars to put out on one either!! Hope that all makes sense. Thanks

Luke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredva

Feed Provider
If you are dealing with a simulcast Phase 2 system, then I would take into account the scanner's performance on those types of systems and not just the cost. The Uniden 436hp isn't perfect, but it tends to do a little better on simulcast systems than some other scanners. But also, some people are looking to see if Unication or one of its competitors will come out with a Phase 2 receiver that properly handles simulcast. Right now, Unication makes pager/scanners that do well on simulcast Phase 1 systems.

If you decide you need a Phase 2 scanner now, look for Christmas deals or look for used (Radio Reference classifieds, ebay, etc) to save some money. But temper your expectations: A working Phase 2 scanner isn't something you're going to pick up for just a $100 or so.

Blackswan73

A RadioShack 668 is basically the same radio as the Whistler 1080/1088, without DMR. Works well on phase 2, and can still be found new for less than $250. Used, even less. Another option is a Uniden 996P2. New for around $350

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
There are some Phase 2 scanners out for deals, as muskrat39 pointed out. You might want to check in your state's forum to see what others are using to monitor the systems you are interested in.

Uniden vs. Whistler/ GRE/ RadioShack- to be honest, sometimes people are passionate about them like others are with Ford vs. Chevy. Both may be good. But there are some systems where a Whistler or Uniden may out perform the other, so it is good to get local insight and opinions as well.

Here is a good reference point, minus the Radio Shack scanners, but shop around for prices: Digital P25 Phase II Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.