Best vehicle mount for MFJ-1412B antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

I recently bought a mobile antenna for 2m/70cm, the MFJ-1412B. What is the best mount to use with this? One that attaches to the trunk of my 2013 Ford Fiesta, or a magnetic mount on the roof or trunk? Do magnetic mounts have a tendency to fly off at highway speeds? Also has anyone ever had trouble with having their car / truck ham antenna being vandalized or stolen? Thanks 73s KF5YOF

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I would use a trunk lip mount. HRO, Universal Radio, AES among the major vendors advertise in QST. Don't like mag mounts but that's me. YMMV. HTH.

wbswetnam

I was thinking of a magnetic mount from the standpoint of quick removal and replacement. Others take more time I believe, such as a trunk lip mount. I am reluctant to park my car outside a hotel some night with the antenna on the car, then come back out the next morning to find my ham antenna ripped off of the car and twisted into a pretzal by some mean-spirited person.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I agree, Tom. Mag mounts are good for temporary use, but that's it.

I'm a member of the "if it's worth putting an antenna on your car, it's worth drilling a hole for an NMO mount" fraternity. If done properly, a permanent mount will have little impact on the car's resale value. If you don't want to install the mount yourself, go to a two-way radio shop that does vehicle installations and ask them what they'd charge to do it.

Trunk lip mounts are the next best choice, but you still have to deal with getting the coax through the trunk seals. That's hard on seals and hard on coax. Diamond and Comet have some mounts with small-diameter coax that runs from the mount inside the car far enough to get past the seal then they transition to normal-sized coax.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
So, unscrew the antenna from the mount when you park in a dicey location. Not a problem with NMO mounts.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I have one of the multi-pivot Diamond mounts with a shortie Comet B6 antenna on the rear hatch of a black 2006 Ford Escape with 110k mi on it. The mount and dual band antenna are black; very hard to see from a short distance. The thin coax over the door seals has never failed. I agree... Diamond and Comet the way to go. I went this route so I wouldn't have remove something each time I put the SUV in the garage. When travelling across country a 5/8 Larsen goes onto the NMO mount.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
What's a garage?

I run dual antennas on my roof 1 dual band and one for 900 MHz. I run a 5/8 VHF antenna on the hood mount for aprs.

Only time some tried to mess with an antenna of mine they didn't realize I was in the vehicle…I keyed a 75W radio while he had the whip in his hand. A DPS officer had seen it happen and was laughing his *** off knowing exactly what I had done. The guy got arrested on a vandalism of an emergency vehicle charge.

Only time I used a trunk lip was to mount an antenna on a lip I built into a spare tire carrier of my jeep. It's a slightly different setup.
6uhetebe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, Tom. Mag mounts are good for temporary use, but that's it.

I'm a member of the "if it's worth putting an antenna on your car, it's worth drilling a hole for an NMO mount" fraternity.

Drill Baby Drill!
You will not be sorry after putting in the NMOs..When done right,they are great!

LtDoc

If you have the choice, drilling a 'permanent' mount is better than the alternatives. I honestly do understand the dread of drilling any holes, but it only 'hurts' for a little while and it's over. Don't wanna take a chance on some idiot breaking your antenna? Are you worried about slipping in the bathtub and breaking your neck too? It doesn't happen all that often you know...
- 'Do

wbswetnam

OK you talked me into it, I will use the NMO mount for my car. But, just out of curiousity, for those who have used a mag mount on their car, have you had any trouble with the antenna becoming unstuck and flying off at highway speeds?

WB4CS

OK you talked me into it, I will use the NMO mount for my car. But, just out of curiousity, for those who have used a mag mount on their car, have you had any trouble with the antenna becoming unstuck and flying off at highway speeds?

I've never had one come off during high speeds (70-90 MPH) however I have lost several mag mount antennas from low hanging objects such as tree branches or drive through overhangs.

I'm also in the "Drill NMO" group. I've got several permanently installed on my car and they are hands down the best for mobile operation. If you're a little scared to drill into your car, try locating a professional radio dealership. I had mine installed by the same company that services the radios in the local Police cars, they drilled and installed the NMO on my car for about $50 (and that included the price of the mount.)

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I've lost several mag mounts from bird strikes (the permanently installed mounts just…well it ain't pretty for the bird), thrown them off the vehicle on rough roads, or going too fast with too small of a base.

What's a NMO mag base going for these days? $25-$35?

Status
Not open for further replies.