Best Waterbury/Naugatuck listening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackHawkH60

Premium Subscriber
Just getting back in to scanning and thought I would see if anyone locally has suggestions. Just today mounted a MFJ Discone ant. great quality product and banging reception.Looking for new freq's that are interesting. Waterbury PD/Fire is LTR Multinet my biggest bummer...oh well. Just running a ISCAN pro18 and old Pro31. So what ya got?......Thankx for any hits.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
Just getting back in to scanning and thought I would see if anyone locally has suggestions. Just today mounted a MFJ Discone ant. great quality product and banging reception.Looking for new freq's that are interesting. Waterbury PD/Fire is LTR Multinet my biggest bummer...oh well. Just running a ISCAN pro18 and old Pro31. So what ya got?......Thankx for any hits.

hey blackhawk i love in wolcott and monitor my area fire depts (all surrounding towns) and other area like middlesex and litchfield counties,what exactly are you looking for as far as new freqs,as you obviously know you can get all the freqs for the counties on radio reference.i monitor mall secruity sometime when i go to the mall in waterbury and meriden and danbury,other than that i dont really have anything to exciting other then the public safety depts..let me know maybe i can help.

a question for you the mfj discone antenna,is that for a portable or a base and is it for home or vehicle-did you get it at lentinnis or somewhere else-if it hads banging reception ill buy one i have the uniden 396xt portable and 2 uniden bcd 785 d scanners one for the car and one in my house

thanks

COMINT_NE

For Waterbury, just program in all the system frequencies in conventional mode without any delay. The system has a lot of mundane users on it during the day, but at night all you'll hear is PD and FD. There are also some conventional frequencies in the 853 MHz. range (used to be 868 pre-rebanding) that are used for mobiles and portables to talk direct to one another that get interesting. 853.9875 MHz. was the most popular. I'd also put in all the mobile system frequencies so you can tell when there's nearby activity.

Both Campion and AMR run ambulances in Waterbury. You'll want to monitor them as well, usually with a separate receiver because they are always busy. Unfortunately a lot of the more interesting business/industrial users have switched to MotoTRBO, so you'll won't be able to hear them. Most of the local PDs up and down the valley are still analog or unencrypted P25, so there's no problem there.

BlackHawkH60

Premium Subscriber
hey blackhawk i love in wolcott and monitor my area fire depts (all surrounding towns) and other area like middlesex and litchfield counties,what exactly are you looking for as far as new freqs,as you obviously know you can get all the freqs for the counties on radio reference.i monitor mall secruity sometime when i go to the mall in waterbury and meriden and danbury,other than that i dont really have anything to exciting other then the public safety depts..let me know maybe i can help.

a question for you the mfj discone antenna,is that for a portable or a base and is it for home or vehicle-did you get it at lentinnis or somewhere else-if it hads banging reception ill buy one i have the uniden 396xt portable and 2 uniden bcd 785 d scanners one for the car and one in my house

thanks

Programmed a few new things last night will see what comes on. The thing with my PRO-18 is I can only scan what is loaded in it. Reason is can't run any new up dates from my computer as I am using a MAC. Don't want Windows on this machine right now. Looking for a windows lap top for it. Thankx for the suggestions.
As for the MFJ Discone this is a high quality ant. I am very impressed with it, it is my base station ant. connected to a hand held. I bought the kit ant. with the coax $75.00 to my door. If you go with the $39.00 one with no coax and buy your own. Better off. It come's with RG58 everyone that reviewed it say's R8 is best. I just did what was the fastest for myself. I found the link on this site to MFJ.

BlackHawkH60

Premium Subscriber
For Waterbury, just program in all the system frequencies in conventional mode without any delay. The system has a lot of mundane users on it during the day, but at night all you'll hear is PD and FD. There are also some conventional frequencies in the 853 MHz. range (used to be 868 pre-rebanding) that are used for mobiles and portables to talk direct to one another that get interesting. 853.9875 MHz. was the most popular. I'd also put in all the mobile system frequencies so you can tell when there's nearby activity.

Both Campion and AMR run ambulances in Waterbury. You'll want to monitor them as well, usually with a separate receiver because they are always busy. Unfortunately a lot of the more interesting business/industrial users have switched to MotoTRBO, so you'll won't be able to hear them. Most of the local PDs up and down the valley are still analog or unencrypted P25, so there's no problem there.

Funny you mention use 2 scanners to keep up. My wife thinks I am nuts because I do just that. Programmed the old PRO-31 for just that reason....running the Champion and AMR and Naugy PD on it. Although find it strange PD using just one freq? 460.350 have another but never hear anything on it. Already want another scanner, a base model. I use the Stalker II feature and rarely hear anything. I do know signal needs to be pretty close by. Gonna work on your suggestions. I am greatful to all the members here for such support and knowledge! Thankx again......

COMINT_NE

Funny you mention use 2 scanners to keep up. My wife thinks I am nuts because I do just that. Programmed the old PRO-31 for just that reason....running the Champion and AMR and Naugy PD on it. Although find it strange PD using just one freq? 460.350 have another but never hear anything on it. Already want another scanner, a base model. I use the Stalker II feature and rarely hear anything. I do know signal needs to be pretty close by. Gonna work on your suggestions. I am greatful to all the members here for such support and knowledge! Thankx again......

Sometimes even two isn't enough when things start getting busy around here.

I never hear anything on 453.400 MHz, either. There is also the WARN mutual-aid frequency on 460.300 MHz. that no one ever uses, unless a dispatcher accidentally patches it into another frequency on the console.

BlackHawkH60

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes even two isn't enough when things start getting busy around here.

I never hear anything on 453.400 MHz, either. There is also the WARN mutual-aid frequency on 460.300 MHz. that no one ever uses, unless a dispatcher accidentally patches it into another frequency on the console.

Ok thought is was just me on the Naugy, freq. Heres a deal got a friend said he has < 5 > 800mhz scanners he will sell for 65 bucks. Waiting for a list of model numbers 3 base and 2 handhelds. All working! Not getting my hopes up but. I am very interested. Who nows maybe listening to alot more that just the 2 I am now, plus as many live feeds I can from here. Kinda crazy you can keep track of what your listening to on so many freq's at once, but ya can! Thankx for the come back will let ya know what pans out on the 5 scanner deal. Cant wait.....Brian

COMINT_NE

Ok thought is was just me on the Naugy, freq. Heres a deal got a friend said he has < 5 > 800mhz scanners he will sell for 65 bucks. Waiting for a list of model numbers 3 base and 2 handhelds. All working! Not getting my hopes up but. I am very interested. Who nows maybe listening to alot more that just the 2 I am now, plus as many live feeds I can from here. Kinda crazy you can keep track of what your listening to on so many freq's at once, but ya can! Thankx for the come back will let ya know what pans out on the 5 scanner deal. Cant wait.....Brian

There are still a couple of hamfests coming up in Connecticut: Newtown and Meriden (Wallingford). You can always find cheap scanners at them to use as dedicated monitors for busy systems (or a system you want to pay extra attention to.)

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
id be interested in a scanner for 65 if it was a handheld-i have 2 of them the uniden 396t and the new one that came out the 396xt it does get busy especially with bad weather,when irene hit last year they were non stop

BlackHawkH60

Premium Subscriber
I looked those up never went to one or ever thought about that. Thankx for heads up I will check one out. Went to the websites and sounds like a good day to check out whats out their.

BlackHawkH60

Premium Subscriber
id be interested in a scanner for 65 if it was a handheld-i have 2 of them the uniden 396t and the new one that came out the 396xt it does get busy especially with bad weather,when irene hit last year they were non stop

Got bad news on that deal. Thought it was too good to be true! Bated and switched me. Deal is dead. Hope ya read the post before got a show coming up real soon think we should see if can score a deal from there. Must be like a gunshow, means I could drop some cash!

BlackHawkH60

Premium Subscriber
Did you see the Bearcat handheld for $5?

I did see it. Also did ya see the box of old 23 ch. CB's? Your choice a BUCK! Didn't buy anything this round. Amazed by some of the know how of the people. Passed tables stopped and just listened to what was going on. Pretty impressed. Can't wait for the next show!

COMINT_NE

I did see it. Also did ya see the box of old 23 ch. CB's? Your choice a BUCK! Didn't buy anything this round. Amazed by some of the know how of the people. Passed tables stopped and just listened to what was going on. Pretty impressed. Can't wait for the next show!

Yea, I picked up a small stack of them last year for homebrew/experimentation. You can put the older ones on the 12, 10 and 6 meter ham bands.

I picked up a couple old ARRL Handbooks for my tech library. Couldn't go wrong for $5 each.

It was a good 'fest!

BlackHawkH60

Premium Subscriber
Yea, I picked up a small stack of them last year for homebrew/experimentation. You can put the older ones on the 12, 10 and 6 meter ham bands.

I picked up a couple old ARRL Handbooks for my tech library. Couldn't go wrong for $5 each.

It was a good 'fest!

Yes it was, knew I was in the right place with all the big mobile antenna's! Even saw a really nice old AM/FM looked 50's in back of someone's truck..... for protection. Really cool looking, just not for me, as I am trying to control myself! For now....last time I was out of my mind, cost me some bucks! Ready again for my next hobbie/adventure!

Status
Not open for further replies.