Best way to run a coax on an external mag mount?

Status
Not open for further replies.

exalti

I have a brand new Silverado 2500HD and a mag mount scanner antenna I want to use. THe issue I am having is I can't tell where a good entry point for the coax would be. On the back wall of the cab about 12 inches down from the window there is a rectabgular rubber piece that seems like it may be an entry point but it is very difficult to reach without taking out the seat and insulation. I have looked at the firewall under the hood but it has a lot of insulation covering it and I don't want to just start pulling it away in a blind search for an existing grommet. Does anyone that drives a silverado around this year model (2004) know of an existing hole I could use and mount the antenna on the driver's side of the hood without drilling or otherwise tearing anything up? Or are there any other suggestions for mounting this thing? I tried placing it on top of the cab and running the cable through one of the rear side flip out windows but the road/wind noise is significantly increased and frankly it urcks me to no end. I need something elegant and simple, understated.

Thanks for any help.
-Al Arduengo

thumbtrap

If you're drilling to run the cable, why not run the cable inside and mount a permanent roof mount nmo? I think it's been said before, but for all practical purposes - meaning leaks, resale, etc... a hole is a hole. A body shop can patch a 3/4" hole as well as they can a 3/8" hole, and most of the time it's not that big a deal. Even if they dont want a huge antenna, a rain cap on a nmo is not that obtrusive on a truck. Especially if you put a lift kit on it :lol:

exalti

thumbtrap said:
If you're drilling to run the cable, why not run the cable inside and mount a permanent roof mount nmo? I think it's been said before, but for all practical purposes - meaning leaks, resale, etc... a hole is a hole. A body shop can patch a 3/4" hole as well as they can a 3/8" hole, and most of the time it's not that big a deal. Even if they dont want a huge antenna, a rain cap on a nmo is not that obtrusive on a truck. Especially if you put a lift kit on it :lol:

This is the issue at hand. I want to try to avoid drilling at all by finding out if anyone who knows this truck is aware of an existing grommet in the firewall or another path I could use. BUt a lift kit sounds nice. :)

Thanks for the post.
-Al

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Well my Silverado is a 1999 model and I ran my coax a long time ago, like 1999 :D so if I have trouble remembering you will excuse me. It seems that I punched through a rubber seal on the back of the cab, which I could have popped out, but it seems to me I was thinking of dust & noise coming back in so the hole by doing that would have been too big. I don't remember it being anything but round, but of course designs change. I did have to run 3 coax cables plus a control cable (for the screwdriver antenna). Hope this helps some.

Status
Not open for further replies.