Beta Testers Wanted: K1PGV's ScannerCast

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterGV

K1PGV
A few weeks ago I had ScannerCast working well to test it out (not sending to Icecast, just locally), but it would crash in less than a day pretty consistently. Now when I try to start a broadcast I get an error that says "Catch fired: Could not start server. Check port and IP." I'm not sure what to make of this. Any ideas?

Andy

Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with ScannerCast. I can honestly say that I've had ZERO reports of crashes. So, SOMEthing must be unique about your environment.

In terms of the "catch fired:" that's a pretty rare error (one that's never been seen "in the wild")... What are you using as a port number (the default is 5700). What can you tell me about your system's hardware and software configuration??

Peter
K1PGV

aaknitt

Feed Provider
I'm using port 8000 on a machine running Windows Vista Home Premium. I tried shutting down Windows Firewall, etc. with no luck. I'm not sure what has changed since I had it working. Vista kind of has a mind of its own. As for the crashing, I'm running another program using the same sound card at the same time. Would that have any effect?

Andy

PeterGV

K1PGV
I'm using port 8000 on a machine running Windows Vista Home Premium. I tried shutting down Windows Firewall, etc. with no luck. I'm not sure what has changed since I had it working. Vista kind of has a mind of its own. As for the crashing, I'm running another program using the same sound card at the same time. Would that have any effect?

Andy

Vista certainly DOES have a mind of its own. Arrrrgh...

Try a different port, just in case some OTHER piece of software is using port 8000 on your machine.

Running another program using the sound card at the same time SHOULD work, but I *have* (in my own personal use) seen this cause problems with ScannerCast at certain times. I'm not sure why, but as a result of your report, I'll add this to the "to do" list and look into the problem a bit more.

Let me know (via a post here or via email) how things go for you...

Peter
K1PGV

Astrak

Hey is there anyway you could add in an option like in oddcast to pick up metadata from another screen. I use WIN500 for remote client control and also to record the audio so I have to have that running at the same time.

PeterGV

K1PGV
Hey is there anyway you could add in an option like in oddcast to pick up metadata from another screen.

Sorry, I don't really understand what you mean by "from another screen"... can you describe this oddcast option more for me??

Peter
K1PGV

Astrak

I'll try my best, in the oddcast encoder, the first option in the screen is Metadata with an Edit button that is clickable. When this is opened an option at the bottom of the program screen says "Grab Metadata from Window title" I can then click Find and...well find the window title that is running WIN500's LCD in it's own window and this will then transmit alpha tag info to listeners.

PeterGV

K1PGV
AH! Thanks for taking the time to explain. I get it now. That IS an interesting possibility that I never thought of.

I'll add it to the list of things to consider for V2.0 -- I've already got more on my plate than I can handle for V1.0, I'm afraid :)

Thanks again,

Peter
K1PGV

K5RYA

Let us know when it can connect to RR audio system as well, the software sounds great but RR has done me right so I am gonna keep my feed there foremost. Thanks for the great app though, look forward to seeing the future development.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I know you said it can't do two sources, but could I use this for my RR feed instead of the ShoutCast stream?

Last edited:

gator

Premium Subscriber
can anybody on tell what this is and how to fix it.I get this when I click login to RR

Attachments

• montys image.GIF
    montys image.GIF
    14.1 KB · Views: 458

PeterGV

K1PGV
Let us know when it can connect to RR audio system as well, the software sounds great but RR has done me right so I am gonna keep my feed there foremost. Thanks for the great app though, look forward to seeing the future development.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I know you said it can't do two sources, but could I use this for my RR feed instead of the ShoutCast stream?

??? ScannerCast DOES forward to RR.... and it does do two sources (though some people have reported problems??? See K1PGV's ScannerCast for a description of the functionality...

Peter
K1PGV

PeterGV

K1PGV
can anybody on tell what this is and how to fix it.I get this when I click login to RR

I can tell you what it is, at least: It's an error message from Windows, and it means you found a really good bug in ScannerCast.

Tell me some more about the sequence of actions you perform when you get this error. Do you have multiple RR feeds?

Peter
K1PGV

gator

Premium Subscriber
well i hook the radio to computer.and started program and filled out everything in config tab.I then went to icecast tape and clicked on auto config and put in my info and clicked Login RR and got that error.I am running one feed too answer your question.
Monty

K5RYA

Sorry about that, I misunderstood things at first on whether this could stream to RR or not.

OK so I went and installed this software and got it up and running on my streaming machine and I must say. Very nice interface and extremely easy to use. It took me all of 2 mins to input the needed information and now I am streaming to my RR feed WITH TAGS from my RSPro197.

Thanks for such a great program. This thread needs a sticky! :D

gator

Premium Subscriber
Hey Peter
Just thought I would let you know I got it going and what an excellant program it is.I had to sign up with RR as a feed provider and as soon as I did that it went through.

PeterGV

K1PGV
@"gator" Monty: Glad you got things working! Hmmm... I *still* need to look at that bug, though. It seems that you've uncovered a situation that ScannerCast isn't prepared to handle (a user that's a member, but that isn't yet configured as a feed provider... how could I not have thought of that case?). Thanks for the bug report.

@KF5DCI: My pleasure, glad ScannerCast is working out for you. Also, thanks for recommending the sticky... I see the mods have been nice enough to agree.

Peter
K1PGV

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
If the bug fix means a new version let us know so we can dl it.. I love this interface!

K5RYA

It would be great if metadata could be disabled without having to stop the whole stream. To make any changes to my scanner programming I have to stop the stream (because scannercast has the com port tied up). not a huge deal, just a suggestion.

PeterGV

K1PGV
@milf: I'm preparing another update and I will certainly post here, and on my website, when it's ready.

@KF5DCI: That's a darn clever and very interesting idea. Let me think on it some more. The code really isn't structured very well to support this right now, but it certainly COULD be.

Thanks to both of you for the encouragement and the ideas! VERY much appreciated,

Peter
K1PGV

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Hi Peter,

I upgraded to your latest version today with zero problems and things (for the most part) are working perfectly... But I just had an odd situation occur. I'm not sure if it's something with your software or a Windows deal but I thought I would throw it by you.

Server is running on one of my networked XP machines, port 5700. I've connected remotely from multiple machines using Winamp with no problems. Just a few minutes ago I tried to connect with my main home pc which is running Media Player 11 on Windows 7. It would sit there and look like it was trying to connect (with the typicaly Windows 'busy' icon grinding away) yet on the server it showed me as connected. After a few minutes of no audio and no sign of things connecting, I exited WMP and about the same time, on the other pc, ScannerCast crashed. Here are the contents of the ScannerCast error log:

21-Sep-2009 21:46:57 ExceptionSystem.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Receive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Receive(Byte[] buffer)
at ScannerCast.Server.HandleConnection(Boolean& doStop)
at ScannerCast.ScannerCast.<>c__DisplayClass3.<ThreadAcceptRun>b__2()
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

I restarted ScannerCast, installed Winamp on my Win7 machine and everything runs great. So... I'm not sure if this is a WMP11 issue or something else?

Thanks, and keep up the excellent work!!!

PeterGV

K1PGV
So... I'm not sure if this is a WMP11 issue or something else?

Hi Forts,

It's a ScannerCast bug! Great bug report, by the way, thanks... exactly the detail I needed to identify the problem.

I fixed this bug just a couple of days ago, and the fix will be in the next ScannerCast update which should be ready in less than a week.

Thanks very much for the bug report, AND for your words of encouragement. It's all appreciated,

Peter
K1PGV

Status
Not open for further replies.