Beta Testers Wanted: K1PGV's ScannerCast

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterGV

K1PGV
Hi Folks,

I've authored a freeware scanner broadcasting program that I'd like folks to try out and provide me some feeedback.

The program is called ScannerCast, and it's a 100% Icecast and SHOUTcast compatible broadcasting program, that works with both the Uniden 396t and PSR-500.

I think you'll find a lot of things to like about ScannerCast: It's designed specifically for streaming scanner audio and alpha-numeric tag information. It's pretty easy to setup and use. It broadcasts scanner audio and tags in exactly the same format as ScanAmerica. And, of course, it's free like all the software that I write for the ham and scanner communities.

You can find out more about ScannerCast, and download it if you're willing to give it a try, at my website: Ham Radio K1PGV

Enjoy, and I'll be looking forward to hearing your feedback,

Peter
K1PGV

PeterGV

K1PGV
Thank you to everyone for the feedback via email and PM! I appreciate your feedback so very much.

With your help, I've been able to find and fix a series of bugs (system type not saved when Uniden is selected, frequency readout wrong on some Unident models, bug during startup if selected COM port is busy, etc).

I'm pleased to report I've also got relaying to Icecast working. So, ScannerCast will take the place of edcast/oddcast for sending streams to ScanAmerica... automatically inserting tags without any other program required.

The bug fixes and relay support will be present in the next update, which I'll make available later this week.

In the meantime, thanks again for all the feedback and keep those bug reports coming!

If you haven't given ScannerCast a try yet, visit Ham Radio K1PGV -- Remember, it's freeware and it supports both GRE-500/600 and Uniden 396t/996t/BCT-15, etc.

Peter
K1PGV

Astrak

Just a question for ya, do I have to run Win500 and select the LCD window to stream alpha tags or does it do that without Win500? Also how well are the tags synced to the audio?

PeterGV

K1PGV
Just a question for ya, do I have to run Win500 and select the LCD window to stream alpha tags or does it do that without Win500? Also how well are the tags synced to the audio?

NO, you don't have to run Win500, ScannerCast is entirely self-contained. Just make the two connects (audio and control) between your PSR-500 or BCD396t, run ScannerCast and you're good to go!

I think you'll find the tags are synched extremely well with the audio. This is due to the fact that the MP3 audio stream is created WITH the tags embedded in it real-time. It's just one advantage of having a program that's designed specifically for streaming scanner audio with tags.

Check it out... fire-up Winamp and point it to the Icecast server that's relaying for ScannerCast running on my system: http://hillscty.scannercast.com:8363/stream

Peter
K1PGV

Astrak

Okay, maybe I'm missing something here. Where do I put in the mountpoint, password, and server IP?

PeterGV

K1PGV
Okay, maybe I'm missing something here. Where do I put in the mountpoint, password, and server IP?

... to relay FROM another Icecast/SHOUTcast server?

In general, ScannerCast doesn't use mountpoints (just like SHOUTcast). In fact, it ignores them. So, you can use / or /stream or anything else.

If you're asking "How do I substitute ScannerCast for edcast/oddcast to forward data to an Icecast server like ScanAmerica" the answer is in a previous post:

<QUOTE>
The bug fixes and relay support will be present in the next update, which I'll make available later this week.
</QUOTE>

This support is currently working, and will be released later this week. THEN you'll specify a user name and password for the remote Icecast server to supply when it connects to relay your scanner feed.

I hope that answered your questions... Let me know if it didn't,

Peter
K1PGV

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
I just had a chance to briefly check this program out while chatting with someone online who mentioned it to me.

2 things.

Will it ever be able to point to 2 different mount points? Ex. both RR and IBN streaming?

And 2. Will it ever be able to run along side a program such as ARC396? So I can program the radio, while it's still streaming.

It does look like it's got potential, considering it pulls the tags on its own and I don't have to make them and edit them myself into a text file. Because that just takes way too long.

PeterGV

K1PGV
Will it ever be able to point to 2 different mount points? Ex. both RR and IBN streaming?

Yes and no.

Unless A LOT of people request the capability, I don't anticipate ScannerCast being able to act as a "push client" to two services simultaneously.

On the other hand, nothing stops you from having ScannerCast act as a source client for a SHOUTcast or Icecast relay (where the server pulls data from ScannerCast). ScannerCast would support an unlimited number of such clients today.

And 2. Will it ever be able to run along side a program such as ARC396? So I can program the radio, while it's still streaming.

That's really not technically practical. Each serial port can only be opened by a single program at one time. So, if ARC396 has the port open to talk with your scanner, ScannerCast won't be able to open it.. and vice versa.

Hope that answers your questions,

Peter
K1PGV

durango5550

Booger D.
just to inform you it does work with a BCT15 , using scannercast to feed my Belmont County ohio feed and it works great Alphas and audio!

Thanks
Dan

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
Peter... I've been using ScannerCast to stream talkgroups from a PRO197 for just over 2 weeks now. It runs on the same PC with 2 other OddCast's running as well. I've also started the Shoutcast dns and sent the stream via them as well. All... without any problems. Thanks for the software and answering all my questions as well. Ralph

brandon

Database Admin
I am trying to run ScannerCast on t5700 thin clients and everything works perfectly, except that when I restart the computer the ScannerCast reverts to the default settings (even if I commit the EWF overlay). It's not remembering my feed config, and sometimes ScannerCast forgets my configuration even when restarting the program without a reboot. I cannot find where the config file is stored so I have no idea how to resolve this.

PeterGV

K1PGV
This isn't a ScannerCast problem, per se. You would have the same problem with any .NET-based application.

The problem is the result of the specific confirguration used by HP/Compaq on the T5710. Because of that configuration, the settings information gets stored on the Z: drive. Look in \Documents and Settings\administrator\AppData\Local\K1PGV\... for the settings.

Here's what *I* do (on my own t5710 systems) to work around this problem:

a) DO NOT set ScannerCast to start automatically. Commit the changes and reboot.

b) Check to ensure that ScannerCast has not started and there is no settings file present on Z:\ (path shown above)

c) Start ScannerCast and configure it the exact way you want it to start up. Make sure it's running the way you want.

d) Stop ScannerCast.

e) Copy the \K1PGV\ directory (and all its subdirectories) from the Z:\ drive to C:\documents and settings\Administrator\AppData\Local\ --So now the settings should be on your C: drive (c:\documents and settings\administrator\AppData\Local\K1PGV\...)

f) Put a shortcut to ScannerCast in your Startup group (be sure to indicate the ScannerCast install directory as the directory in which ScannerCast should start).

g) Commit the changes and reboot.

All should now be well.

If this doesn't work, email me and I'll work through the steps with you. As I said, I have this working on my own t57190s with no problem.

Peter
K1PGV

brandon

Database Admin
Thanks Peter! That worked like a charm. I just moved the K1PGV folder (on Z: drive) to location %appdata% (on C: drive) and it works perfectly. Appears if there is anything on Z: that's when it messes up.

Love the program and keep up the great work!

73s
Brandon

aaknitt

Feed Provider
Some Feedback

A few weeks ago I had ScannerCast working well to test it out (not sending to Icecast, just locally), but it would crash in less than a day pretty consistently. Now when I try to start a broadcast I get an error that says "Catch fired: Could not start server. Check port and IP." I'm not sure what to make of this. Any ideas?

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.