• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Better G5 Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

hou30guy

Awesomeeeeeee im ording today, diddnt wannt go 7" and look like a dummy with a long antenna and short radio since i do city bus towing

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Interesting, it works two bars here with the RS800 at full signal bars. I'll stick with the RS800, but thanks for the idea. Looks good by the way.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Anyone having problems going from the NAR6595 and then going back to the stock antenna and having severe signal loss? Confirmed the same with my RS-800. After trimming the Motorola NAR6595 I'm getting great reception. As soon as I switch back to stock or RS800, lose the signal on the systems I monitor. Also confirmed the signal side by side with my PSR-800. Thoughts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ed3750

Premium Subscriber
Also noticing degradation on stock ant after using NAR6595. I hadn't noticed it prior to your post, as I am out of town and not listening to usual systems. I also have a non Moto 3" stubby that I don't use, as it pulls in signals exactly the sams as the G5 stock ant. Now noticing a significant improvement (2-3 bars) with use of the non Moto stubby over the stock ant. Also seeing only a one bar improvement when using stock ant vs no ant.

Only thought is maybe the 6595 may have pushed the ant pin on the G5 down a bit and now it's not seating correctly in the stock ant?

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I pulled the pin and checked it. Looks good. May have to order one just to make sure I didn't chip it. But the NAR works great so I'm good for now.

mkinkade

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like the same thing that happened to mine. I switched to the Motorola antenna, then back to the stock antenna, and kept getting out of range errors on systems I had no problem receiving before. I'm now using this sma to bnc adapter with a stubby bnc antenna, and it's working again.
'Motorola 5880384G68 Adapter, Female SMA to BNC'

cmdrwill

Sounds like the same thing that happened to mine. I switched to the Motorola antenna, then back to the stock antenna, and kept getting out of range errors on systems I had no problem receiving before. I'm now using this sma to bnc adapter with a stubby bnc antenna, and it's working again.
'Motorola 5880384G68 Adapter, Female SMA to BNC'

Adapters change the antenna tuning.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Yeah but does an antenna change the antenna tuning? My stock antenna no longer pulls in signals while a OEM Motorola antenna now does. All I did was switch from one antenna to another.

b1100mac

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
You guys are making this way too hard...When you change antennas on a G4 or G5,,, you need to either power down the radio, then power it back up OR switch to another knob position and then back so the radio will RE-SCAN that system with the NEW antenna. My 2 G5's both show hearing 2 sites with the stock antenna, when I switch to my motorola and make the the radio do the re-scan it come up with 4.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Yeah, that doesn't work. I've switched systems, talkgroups, hard reset, etc. Still working great with the Motorola antenna. Nada win the stock or RS-800 with an SMA to BNC antenna. Checked the pin, everything is seated properly. Going to Unication through my dealer.

cmdrwill

I have seen knock off antennas and 'adapters', with bad sized connectors cause problems with the radio connector, AKA damage. Not always easy to see the damage.

troymail

Silent Key
I've been using a RS800 with an SMA to BNC adpater since last weekend. Great reception.

Today, I received and and tried a NAR6595 - the RS800 seems to work better for my current setting and monitoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.