• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

better range???

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotsavannahs

Premium Subscriber
I have recently purchased a couple of Baofeng F8HP talkies and was expecting to get a bit more range out of them. I was only able to get about 800meters in good conditions. Is there a way to get better distance on the frs or gmrs channels.?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
In general, the only way to significantly increase range, is to increase your antenna height.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have recently purchased a couple of Baofeng F8HP talkies and was expecting to get a bit more range out of them. I was only able to get about 800meters in good conditions. Is there a way to get better distance on the frs or gmrs channels.?

If you could define "good conditions", it might help.

In heavily urban areas, hilly terrain, indoors, etc. 800 meters wouldn't be unexpected.
Out in the open, flat lands, etc. you ideally should be seeing more.

It's all about the antenna, but if you are down low, then UPMan is giving you good advice. Antenna height is important.

UHF tends to be mostly line of sight. If the two antennas can see each other, you can usually communicate. If there is a lot of "stuff" in the way, steel, concrete, metals, dirt, etc. then you will have issues.

Not sure if you are in a car, home, outdoors, or what, so hard to give good advice.

Knoxradio

I live in the hills of East TN and regularly hit a repeater, that is admittantly on a high ridge, at a range of 25+ miles with a BTech GMRSv1, with the stock antenna, while outside. I have read that the stock antenna on those aren't very good, so I can only imagine what upgrading will do.

hotsavannahs

Premium Subscriber
very interesting. thanks for the replies. Seems that these are good for near communication < 1 or 2 miles. I am trying to put together a way to keep family in contact in the event of an emergency situation. Without having to rely on conventional cell phone service (which would probably be overloaded). Looking for a range of 20-30 mile radius and portable. Anything like this?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Not without using some kind of infrastructure (like a repeater on a high ridge).

Terrain blocks all signals. If you are on a "perfectly flat" spot on the earth and hold the radio about 6 feet off the ground, the horizon is going to be about 3 miles away. Assuming the person you are communicating with is also holding their radio about 6 feet off the ground, you would get about 6 miles range before the other person's antenna is below the horizon.

Most places are not perfectly flat (well, most places on the land, anyway), so you can expect much lower range most of the time.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Looking for a range of 20-30 mile radius and portable. Anything like this?

Yeah, as said, you'll need access to a repeater to get anything like that. Finding GMRS repeaters can be difficult, and since they are privately owned/maintained in most cases, that means you must get approval from the owner of the repeater to use it.

Putting up your own repeater is possible, but it can be expensive. A used repeater can start at a few hundred bucks. A new one $1000 to $6,000 depending on which ones. Add in several thousand more for duplexers, coaxial cable, antennas, etc.
And you still need a high point to install it on. Ideally that point needs to be able to see all the locations you want to communicate with. That means a mountain top or very tall tower. All that requires pure luck or a lot of money to lease the site.

A better approach might be to research getting your amateur radio license. There might be a repeater in your area that you could use.

Knoxradio

For locations on repeaters, check MyGMRS.com. The ones I use are free for licensed GMRS users. Some are member supported, some aren't. Just depends on where you live.

KD8DVR

Baofeng radios are not certified for use on FRS or GMRS. As such, they are illegal to use on these frequencies.

n1das

Baofeng radios are not certified for use on FRS or GMRS. As such, they are illegal to use on these frequencies.
Depends on which Baofeng radios. IIRC Baofeng has one or two GMRS models.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

KD8DVR

Depends on which Baofeng radios. IIRC Baofeng has one or two GMRS models.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The OP specified the F8HP. That is NOT a Part 95 certified radio.

But, yeah, BTECH has a GMRS and MURS certified radio out there.

rbomba

Premium Subscriber
I mean c'mob

It's also illegal to drive 65 mph in a 55 mph zone but I'm sure most of us do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.