• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

BF-888S, Trying to mirror Kenwood NX340

Status
Not open for further replies.

weld-fab

Premium Subscriber
Hello All, I am an absolute newbie to all of this but I have been tasked with setting up some newly purchased Baofeng BF-888S radios. We purchased them to supplement our existing complement of Kenwood NX340UK radios that we use here at work. I am completely in over my head and am struggling.
I have installed the CHIRP application and have the serial cable working.
I can read from the BF888S.
I can’t read from the Kenwood.
I tried to edit the settings on the image file from the 888 and successfully changed the frequency numbers in the correct locations but there are other fields that do not show in the “drop-downs” For example Tone on the Kenwood is RAN1, not an option.. Mode is set to FM and I can’t change it to UHF, etc..
Any help would be appreciated

weld-fab

Premium Subscriber
Ouch
That is sure disappointing.. I didn’t buy them but the person that did was well intentioned. Oh well I guess that I have some new radios for hunting this fall :)

Thanks for the prompt reply

weld-fab

Premium Subscriber
We do hold a license for the frequencies that I had intended to program them for. Again, I don’t know much… but I thought that we legal based on the existing license?

weld-fab

Premium Subscriber
Is there an entry level handheld that would be suitable for NXDN? We have the constant duty radios for the users that require them but we were looking for something for less than even occasional use.. The radio would sit in a charger in an office.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Those nx340's are about the cheapest nxdn radio you'll find. I'd take a used kenwood over a cheap Chinese toy any day of the week. You're going to have to go name brand with nxdn.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Is there an entry level handheld that would be suitable for NXDN? We have the constant duty radios for the users that require them but we were looking for something for less than even occasional use.. The radio would sit in a charger in an office.

There are only a couple of companies that make NXDN capable radios.
Kenwood
Icom
Alinco

Alinco makes the DJ-NX40 UHF radio: http://www.alinco.com/Products/nxdn/DJ-NX40/DJ-NX40T.pdf

Icom makes an entire line of NXDN capable radios, sold under the IDAS product line. The Icom F2000D is the lower tier radio that will do what you need.

Kenwood has a couple of options you can take a look at. The NX-340 is the lower tier commercial radio, and may be your best choice. List price is $367.50
Kenwood also recently released the NX-P500, a low cost 2 watt UHF NXDN radio. List price is $275, but you should be able to shop around and find them a bit cheaper.

I fully understand the desire to find a lower cost alternative. Radios can be expensive, depending on how you look at it. If you consider the value they can add to the work force, they generally are a very economical tool that can boost production.

It's really not a good idea for someone not familiar with radio systems to be trying to buy radios on line without understanding the technical details. As you discovered, it's easy to purchase the wrong thing.
Not only the wrong thing, but it's really easy to buy low end Chinese junk that doesn't meet the FCC requirements. Unfortunately the internet has allowed equipment to be sold in the US that shouldn't be.

As for cost savings….
Looking only at the cost of the radios will miss the rest of the costs associated with them. Purchasing programming software, cables, as well as the labor that goes into properly setting them up to work with other radios, the risks of getting the wrong products, violating FCC rules, and the issues of having dissimilar batteries, chargers, user interfaces, etc. should be considered.

If you take a look at the cost differences between the Kenwood NX-340 and the NX-P500, you are looking at less than $100.00.
Since your time figuring out how to program them isn't free (you don't work for FREE do you?), your employer should consider that in the costs.
Since the user interfaces between the radios are different, you'll have a bit of a training curve. Again, staff time isn't free.

The Chirp programming software probably isn't going to work on the NX-P500, at least not any time soon. Adding in the cost of the Kenwood programming software needs to be considered. $258 list price for the software, that's almost the price difference between 3 NX-P500's and 3 NX-340's.

Considering all this, it would be worth the time considering just purchasing a few more NX-340's. Get your dealer to program them up for you (negotiate them doing this for free as part of the purchase) and you'll be done. Interchangeable radios, interchangeable batteries, etc.

Sometimes trying to save a few bucks ends up getting really expensive. We occasionally have to consider this where I work. It's really easy to tie up a bunch of engineers in meetings trying to save a few thousand dollars, only to discover we've blown through the cost savings in labor.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'll add that leaving a portable radio sitting in a charger on a desk all the time, especially while turned on, will kill the battery.
If it's going to be used that way for a long time, you might want to consider setting up a small base station, if your license allows it. Long term it can save you money in batteries, if done right.

Status
Not open for further replies.