• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

BF-F8HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamptpe

I just bought a BF-F8HP radio. I am new on this. I have work with the website and other means to be able to listen. I have programmed the frequencies in my county and near by. However, after I read some of the threads in this forum about many frequencies gone digital, I ask myself a question: what good is to have this radio if I can't listen to Nothing? And, What is this radio good for other than to have it as decoration on the shelf?
Somebody answer please.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
First of all, it's a 2-way radio, not a scanner. What good is it? If you use it for what it's intended, it's great! If you are trying to use it as a scanner, not so much, because that's not what it is.

There are many digital formats along with analog, trunking, etc. The only thing this radio is going to cover is analog FM. If you want a scanner, spend more than $50 and buy a scanner.

Also, not knowing where you are, what are you trying to listen to? It's possible that everything in your area is FM analog, which you should be able to hear fine on this radio, but without knowing where you are, nobody is going to be able to tell.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
what good is to have this radio if I can't listen to Nothing?
The Baofeng could be:
  1. An interesting paperweight,
  2. A conversation piece for the coffee table,
  3. A place-holder on your desk for an actual scanner,
  4. Something to leave out in plain sight in your house to serve as a decoy to protect your real radios from theft during a burglary.
Too many people are falsely attracted by the cheap price of these radios, only to find they have limited usefulness. Research your needs based on what you want to monitor in your area, make an intelligent and well-informed choice, and enjoy the hobby. Oh and by the way, welcome to RR!

tamptpe

First of all, it's a 2-way radio, not a scanner. What good is it? If you use it for what it's intended, it's great! If you are trying to use it as a scanner, not so much, because that's not what it is.

There are many digital formats along with analog, trunking, etc. The only thing this radio is going to cover is analog FM. If you want a scanner, spend more than $50 and buy a scanner.

Also, not knowing where you are, what are you trying to listen to? It's possible that everything in your area is FM analog, which you should be able to hear fine on this radio, but without knowing where you are, nobody is going to be able to tell.

Thanks for your reply. I am in the area of Chatham, and Liberty County, Georgia.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your reply. I am in the area of Chatham, and Liberty County, Georgia.

It looks like you're actually in luck in Chatham County. Everything still appears to be FM analog. No problem picking that up on the Baofeng.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=407

Liberty County, not so much. It appears they have moved everything to the Southeast Georgia Regional Radio Network (SEAGARRN), which is P25, and not something you will be able to monitor on the Baofeng.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=471

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
It looks like you're actually in luck in Chatham County. Everything still appears to be FM analog. No problem picking that up on the Baofeng.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=407

Liberty County, not so much. It appears they have moved everything to the Southeast Georgia Regional Radio Network (SEAGARRN), which is P25, and not something you will be able to monitor on the Baofeng.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=471
While not referenced on the Chatham County page for the individual jurisdictions, it appears that there are a number of city and county agencies in Chatham showing to have talkgroups on this P25 Phase 1 system the same as noted above for Liberty):
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6694

Someone in the area would need to verify if indeed many have moved to the trunked system. If so, a database update needs to be made to show that on the county's database page.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
While not referenced on the Chatham County page for the individual jurisdictions, it appears that there are a number of city and county agencies in Chatham showing to have talkgroups on this P25 Phase 1 system the same as noted above for Liberty):

Someone in the area would need to verify if indeed many have moved to the trunked system. If so, a database update needs to be made to show that on the county's database page.

Oh, you're absolutely right! Didn't see that. Yep, looks like Chatham County moved as well. Out of luck then, I'm afraid.

tamptpe

Oh, you're absolutely right! Didn't see that. Yep, looks like Chatham County moved as well. Out of luck then, I'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.