BGE 800 MHZ P25 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
It seems like BGE is migrating away from the IDEN system. Any one has more background on the timeline of the system?
I see that the first of the several FCC licenses were approved:

WRDX921

BEL AIR, MD
NORRISVILLE, MD
CRAIGTOWN, MD
SPARKS, MD
WESTMINSTER, MD
JOPPATOWNE, MD

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Interesting, they got rid of their entire radio shop, so they must be using outside help!

There is a Motorola Solutions partner on Sulphur Springs Road that is doing a lot of the work for the project. They also had a bunch of radios for AACo in the shop when I was there getting an antenna installed earlier this summer.

firebal

Premium Subscriber
Whats the purpose of being encrypted? I can understand for maybe security but other then that not really.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Whats the purpose of being encrypted? I can understand for maybe security but other then that not really.
Hiding their operations from public scrutiny? They are a private entity, although they do serve a public interest.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
I am hoping that the transmissions will NOT be encrypted.

I used to be able to hear them if the power went out in my local area to get an idea what was happening with repairs.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I am hoping that the transmissions will NOT be encrypted.

I used to be able to hear them if the power went out in my local area to get an idea what was happening with repairs.
Your only hope is they won't want to pay for the encryption licenses. A privately owned utility monopoly has a powerful incentive to conceal their operations from regulators and the public, even though their charter is to serve in the public interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.