Bill Cheek scanner storage unit sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb6nzv

I'll say up front that the listing I refer to does not belong to me, nor do I have any financial interest in it.

I found on the unnamed bidding site we all know, a listing for a large lot of radios once belonging to the late Bill Cheek. The seller identification code is "hdsxrox" and you can find them at http://myworld.ebay.com/hdsxrox
The buy it now price is $50k.

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

Fascinating, especially to one familiar with the whole scanner scene and the unfortunate turn of events for Bill Cheek. He was truly harrassed by an overzealous and ignorant federal prosecuter. If not for his poor health, he would have been vindicated. Not sure there is 50K worth of stuff, but there is history and probably some interesting and valuable Gems.

mancow

Database Admin
It would be a shame if one of his family were to accidentally fall down on that prosecutor's property while walking thier dog.

Oh the pain and suffering.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
The person listing the items surely has a high opinion of themselves.
Is this auction about Bill, or Ryan and his "impressive, magical" abilities?

stealthradios

I remember hearing the name Bill Cheek, isn't he the one who designed the illegal devices to decode police digital mobile terminal data and was caught by the feds?

He was arrested for BullShyt....
What we all do now,,
DSD
PDW
SDR....
ect...
ect...

Back then we could have all been
prosecuted..Just a bunch of scared
public officials needed to make an
example...

I mean, seriously,,geared up tac-team..
to get a radio nut...Could have just
served a summons...

Now-a-days..it would be
flagged as suspicious-terror related
activities..putting public safety at risk...
(oh,dont fret, alot of us are on That list..)

Sometimes...I feel like Im watching the
odometer roll over...

R-I-P you Cheek-y Bazterd!....

Last edited:

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
IIRC...didn't his downfall begin when he bragged on rec.radio.scanner about being able to decode police MDTs?

IIRC...didn't his downfall begin when he bragged on rec.radio.scanner about being able to decode police MDTs?

Maybe ,,but by that standard...How are the FEDS not backing the bus up and taking
attendees of DEF-CON into custody...

You seen what Grey-Hats are doing with our cute lil RTL sticks..Makes us look like
freshmen....

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
As I remember the incident, he devised a 4 level digital decoder that MAY (actually did)decode MDC-4800 MDT signals. The whole overboard response was a result of a number of things. First M got wind of their MDT being decoded, because M didn't encrypt the data. I can imagine their panick over that one, so they got the FBI involved, and second I heard about an incident on New York's Long Island where some one posted verbatum the decoded display of an incident out there where some sensitive information was leaked ( I think a rape victims ID)

At the time I was a PD dispatcher and they were not to happy about the whole situation since M stated that the MDT was secure when it wasn't.

It's a shame the family didn't continue their case against the Government, as they would have been vindicated as stated above and should have received compensation for Bill's death as a result of the procecution

quote"You seen what Grey-Hats are doing with our cute lil RTL sticks..Makes us look like
freshmen.

Do tell please

Status
Not open for further replies.