blind man scanning solo

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc9cra

I wonder what suggestions I might get. I thought I'd throw this question out there to see what I caught. I am totally blind. I search the programmed channels on my scanner a lot, but I also like to search. I don't just listen to the emergency stuff. I like all of it. Many times, I can figure out about what frequency I'm on, but I would like to be able to be totally sure. Sometimes, there's people around me, so I can simply ask somebody to read my screen for me, but that's not always the case. There's a big hill near my home. I decided the other morning to walk up it and see what I might pick up. Well, I definitly received some noaa stations from further away. I'm in the southwestern corner of IN, and I picked up WWG49, I think that's what it was anyway. It was out of Frederictown MO. I also went through the vhf/low band. I picked up some weird harmonics from a nearby repeater, but I expected that. That's happened before, and normally I can figure it out after a few moments of listening. I did hear 49.22, and figured I had something that was right on, but I had to carry the scanner home on that freq, and have my wife look at it when she got up. She likes to sleep in, and I can be an early riser at times. I remember going up the same hill Friday night to try to evesdrop on a football game at the high school that is perched atop the same hill. I did get some simplex, but I think it was bartenders. I know it was because of the conversation, but I was thinking there aren't any bars around that use 2way radios. I should've carried the scanner home then, but I wanted to keep looking for the coaches. I'm just wondering what I might get back by posting this. It can be interesting to hear what other people think. I have yet to program all of the businessband channels in my scanner. I want to do it, but I've been a bit lazy.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
I know someone else who is totally blind and scans as well as reports traffic and has a website his friends put up for him that he plays movie critic on. I met him when I worked for a short time at the radio station he works for.he's a real great guy and doesn't let anyone or anything get in his way. You guys should check him out as he can teach everyone something. Listen to his traffic reports mornings on Star 99.9 ( STAR 99.9 | www.star999.com ) his site is called the blind film critic, Everyone should google this guy as he's a great guy too. Check out Tommy Edison from Connecticut. Oh and I forgot to mention, he obviously can't drive due to his disability but get this, he also rides a bike to work every day. Tommy, you are awesome

Joe

zguy1243

There are many radio receviers that have speech boards or what they call voice modules that will announce the frequency you are on so you can hear it. Many Icom receivers have this. It is exactly what you are looking for.

I wonder what suggestions I might get. I thought I'd throw this question out there to see what I caught. I am totally blind. I search the programmed channels on my scanner a lot, but I also like to search. I don't just listen to the emergency stuff. I like all of it. Many times, I can figure out about what frequency I'm on, but I would like to be able to be totally sure. Sometimes, there's people around me, so I can simply ask somebody to read my screen for me, but that's not always the case. There's a big hill near my home. I decided the other morning to walk up it and see what I might pick up. Well, I definitly received some noaa stations from further away. I'm in the southwestern corner of IN, and I picked up WWG49, I think that's what it was anyway. It was out of Frederictown MO. I also went through the vhf/low band. I picked up some weird harmonics from a nearby repeater, but I expected that. That's happened before, and normally I can figure it out after a few moments of listening. I did hear 49.22, and figured I had something that was right on, but I had to carry the scanner home on that freq, and have my wife look at it when she got up. She likes to sleep in, and I can be an early riser at times. I remember going up the same hill Friday night to try to evesdrop on a football game at the high school that is perched atop the same hill. I did get some simplex, but I think it was bartenders. I know it was because of the conversation, but I was thinking there aren't any bars around that use 2way radios. I should've carried the scanner home then, but I wanted to keep looking for the coaches. I'm just wondering what I might get back by posting this. It can be interesting to hear what other people think. I have yet to program all of the businessband channels in my scanner. I want to do it, but I've been a bit lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.