blinking green screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airdorn

Sounds like the trick is to make sure your computer's COM port settings match the factory default settings of the scanner..

I'm assuming the scanner defaults to 9600 baud, 8,n,1..... so set your COM port that way via control panel, and choose the right baud rate in the scanner firmware updater.

Plug it all in and then power it up with L/O + 6 and go to town with it.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Maybe a complete reset might help.

Hold down the 2, 9 and Hold while powering up

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Our engineering group is studying this right now. I'll let you know, either on the board or by private mail, what you need to do.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
To keep my sanity (so many discussions in several places at once), if you have this specific problem, please use the following Yahoo! Group for discussion: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/unidenflash/

That group will be specifically for this issue, so I can get all the feedback in one place. I might use it for other things later, but for now just the "b/l flashes on power up after update" comments will be permitted. Any unauthorized post into that group on another topic or by someone not having the problem will result in immediate banning. Nothing personal, but I need to use that group efficiently and "heckling," flaming, or taunting just gets in the way of that.

When you join, post with your specific issue as well as the steps leading up to the problem (i.e. what part of the update was last completed, was there an outside issue like power failure or cable disconnect that precipitated the issue, what steps have you taken so far to diagnose or work around).

I'll ask a moderator to lock this one, but to sticky it for a while.

scanman9

yup that is the same error message i am getting word for word so we have to get the computer to recognize the scanner i tried arc996 and did the communication setup didn't work.

mrdinks

I think I posted my problem on the yahoo site. I have never been a fan of the yahoo group and not sure if it worked.

Last edited:

mrdinks

brick

I have had the brick problem for the last 5 days, the blinking green screen.

I could not get past the first firmare update to get the esn.

This afternoon I had a thought, what if its my computer?

I went to my desktop (was using laptop) and dowloaded everything fresh.

I dont have a brick anymore!!!

Worked perfect the first time and I am back scanning with no problem.

I dont know what the problem was?
I had uninstalled the software cleared the cach, deleted the deleted, even wiped the crumbs off the keyboard but could not get it to work. I used different cables, all 4 usb ports, every different setting I could find?

All I know is it WORKS!!!!!

35delivery

mrdinks said:
I have had the brick problem for the last 5 days, the blinking green screen.

I could not get past the first firmare update to get the esn.

This afternoon I had a thought, what if its my computer?

I went to my desktop (was using laptop) and dowloaded everything fresh.

I dont have a brick anymore!!!

Worked perfect the first time and I am back scanning with no problem.

I dont know what the problem was?
I had uninstalled the software cleared the cach, deleted the deleted, even wiped the crumbs off the keyboard but could not get it to work. I used different cables, all 4 usb ports, every different setting I could find?

All I know is it WORKS!!!!!

Does the desktop have motherboard serial port? I assume by your post that you must be using some type of USB Serial adaptor on the laptop. Is it possible that the problem could be related to the adaptor or it's driver????

mrdinks

I used the same usb cable both on both computers.
At first when I got the blinking green sreen I was using the cable that came with the scanner and a belkin usb adapter.
I kept getting the error that says
*connect your scanner to your PC using the standard PC interface cable

I figured that the cable was my problem so I dropped another $30 and got the uniden cable that should come with your $500 scanner.
Got it this AM and still had the same problem.

My desk top and laptop are about identical in age and programs, I wish I knew what the problem was.

I had deleted all the files on my laptop including the usb driver and reloaded them.

I know I was communicating with the scanner because it would say updating firmware for just a liitle bit before the error message would pop up.

Viper43

I doubt the serial adapter is causing the issue as I use 2 different computers, both with serial adpters and a lot of things plugged into USB ports and hubs, no issues with them and actually doing the updates.

Some things do seem to be in common here though with those getting the blinking screen:

1: serial cable came out or was loose during update
2: power failure during update
3: failure to follow the directions for the update
4: not knowing if the com port works

fixes:
1: make sure the serial cable is all the way in and do not remove it until the scanner starts scanning again
2: if you have one make sure your scanner is plugged into your computers backup power supply...thats one thing I make certain of.
3: follow the directions and don't assume you know what to do next, make CERTAIN!
4: before doing the firmware update run UASD or another program and download the scanners programming... and make certain you write down the com port used by the software to use during the update.

And before doing the update make sure you have your ESN and Checksum written down as well!

Airdorn

I know that with my laptop and my USB -> serial adapter, I have to unplug it from the USB port and replug it just before writing to the 996T, or else there's a very high chance it won't write anything to the scanner at all.

If I unplug and replug it works every time without a hitch.

Viper43

You shouldn't need to remove and replug the USB cable in. Do you have it set to turn off to save power? If so turn the power save OFF for the USB!

Airdorn

Viper43 said:
You shouldn't need to remove and replug the USB cable in. Do you have it set to turn off to save power? If so turn the power save OFF for the USB!

No.

But what's funny, as I can use it to read from the scanner, and I can use the little virtual scanner thingy in the Uniden software just fine. I can monitor with it ans well as change the scanner with it.

I just can't actually WRITE memory to the scanner unless I unplug the thing from the USB port and then replug it. If I don't, then "writing to scanner" never comes up and eventually a window comes up saying to check the baud rate, etc.

Very strange, but only a minor annoyance. I think it's to do with my laptop and USB-serial cable and definitely NOT the scanner.

Viper43

See my thread on checking hibernation before doing update. The problem appears that some may be waking, just not fast enough for the software so it gives the write error.

Viper43

Airdorn said:
No.

But what's funny, as I can use it to read from the scanner, and I can use the little virtual scanner thingy in the Uniden software just fine. I can monitor with it ans well as change the scanner with it.

I just can't actually WRITE memory to the scanner unless I unplug the thing from the USB port and then replug it. If I don't, then "writing to scanner" never comes up and eventually a window comes up saying to check the baud rate, etc.

Very strange, but only a minor annoyance. I think it's to do with my laptop and USB-serial cable and definitely NOT the scanner.

check PM's

Status
Not open for further replies.