Block Island TG's

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
I see and have know that Block Island moved over to RISCON some time ago(2years), but I don't see any talk groups listed in the DB. Anyone have them, also I noticed that there are no licensed transmitters on Block Island proper for RISCON. Do they go through transmitters located on the mainland?

ecps92

Block Island also known as New Shoreham
Rhode Island Statewide Communications Network (RISCON) Trunking System, Statewide, Rhode Island - Scanner Frequencies

They are in the DB

I see and have know that Block Island moved over to RISCON some time ago(2years), but I don't see any talk groups listed in the DB. Anyone have them, also I noticed that there are no licensed transmitters on Block Island proper for RISCON. Do they go through transmitters located on the mainland?

radioman2001

Yes, thank you I did see PD, but I don't see FD or EMS or Parks/DEC or Local government, maybe I am missing something? I was hoping for some one who has more detailed info on the system as the second question is still not answered, which would make me if I was a user very wary to use a system when my repeaters are 15-17 miles away from my 1.5 watt portable.

ecps92

Fire is still on VHF
Washington County RI Fire Departments - Scan New England Wiki

Yes, thank you I did see PD, but I don't see FD or EMS or Parks/DEC or Local government, maybe I am missing something? I was hoping for some one who has more detailed info on the system as the second question is still not answered, which would make me if I was a user very wary to use a system when my repeaters are 15-17 miles away from my 1.5 watt portable.

ecps92

If so, it's then that No one had Reported or Identified the TG's.

It's all based on User Participation :wink:

That's strange when I was there this past summer and last summer, they all had XTS 800 portables, and all their vehicles had 800 antenna's on them. I didn't hear a peep on their 150 channels either?

ecps92

Passed along to me, by someone who monitors them :wink:

"Only the Police use RISCON, Fire/EMS is still on 154.2050 PL 146.2. While they are 17 miles from the nearest site it is entirely an over water path, and it works fine. The portables are 5 watts not 1.5 watts. "

Yes, I realize that, that's why I posted here. I guess next year, I will have to try and find out which talk-groups are used. Maybe I'll stop by the FD and ask.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Yes, the PD is on TG 1376 RISCON South, Clear.
And the FD is on 154.205 PL 146.2 (* Thanks Bill, I didn't realize the DB here didn't have the PL listed. It now does, like our WIKI)

Our listings here at Radio Reference are accurate for Block Island PD & FD Primary.
DPW is another story, however.

radioman2001

Getting back to my own post since I will be traveling there again in the next few weeks. Has anyone gotten any more info on talk-groups for FD or Local Gov on RISCON. I saw last year that the FD officers were using XTS 800 portables, so they are definitly using RISCON in addition to the VHF.
Also if it were my department and I was on the east end of the island down by the water with the cliffs between me and the transmitters, I still would have reservations about using a repeater 17 miles away, even if it is over water with only a confirmed 1-3 watts (Motorola specs for 700/800 portable). I will run a FCC transmitter location check again and see if they added any on the island itself, and I will stop by the local FD and see how cooperative they are in sharing info.
I doubt they would let me read a radio, but I will bring my software and cables anyway.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
If they are using a RISCON TG, it is encrypted, which is why it is not logged.

However, a month or so ago, they had a fire on the Island, and all the ops were on 154.205.

Those XTS800 units may be so they can communicate with the PD, the wide-area channels, the fire intercity, and the coast guard, who all have radios on the system. But there is no evidence of the FD using them locally.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
They could also be using 800 MHz portables with Pyramid SVR-200 mobile repeaters linking to VHF. That way they'd have the best of both worlds, capability on the RISCON system for interop purposes (or just simplex 800 talkaround for fireground ops, etc.), while remaining on their VHF system. Just because you saw 800 MHz portables and 800 MHz antennas on the apparatus doesn't mean they are on the RISCON system.

Or maybe what you saw were UHF portables and antennas, not 800 portables, and they are using 453.1875 (which they are licensed for under WNFH289) for fireground or crossband with VHF.

Status
Not open for further replies.