Bloomfield NJ PD went quiet

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannersnstuff

Take a look at the Uniden bcd325p2. Slightly more than $300.00. But no phase II scanner is going to be sub $300.00.

Swipesy

I'm assuming the frequencies (Police & Fire) are same...

Bad assumption on your part. Look here for Bloomfield. You need to setup a P-25 Trunked System
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7021

I would advise you to read up on P-25 systems before purchasing a radio so that you get a feel what is involved.

As to radio choice becareful of just one person's opinion on what to buy. Some trunked radios work well on a particular system while others don't work well. Look around on RadioReference to see if you can find Bloomfield scanner hobbyist and what radio they are using. These radios are relatively expensive and you don't want to make a buying mistake.

Last edited:

MrBon

i see one problem already, looks like i need windows in order to download the software for the Uniden, unfortunately, i run IOS.

Swipesy

i see one problem already, looks like i need windows in order to download the software for the Uniden, unfortunately, i run IOS.

Yes, and you will also need Windows for Whistler/GRE units that use EZScan or ARC or WINxxx or PSREdit.

markjrenna

Seriously take a look at Unication for P25 and NJICS.

Otherwise a Uninden SDS100 would give you more options. My Uniden 536 that is capable of receiving P25 NJICS is completely dead in my area. It may work for you in your area. Uniden Factory Outlet Store gives you a 30 day return on the items they sell so you may want to check them out.

Swipesy

Swipesy... am i **** out-of-luck...lol

Basically yes. While you can pickup a Uniden or Whistler radio that will do Phase II and program it by hand, it will be a nightmare and very time consuming. Today's radios are meant to be programmed by computer. The Uniden and Whistler/GRE radios rely on the RadioReference database for loading the database into the radios. It has to be done by computer. Your only way around that is to have a relative or a friend that has a computer and would do the downloads from RR and uploads to your radio for you. EZScan and Sentinal software are free. WINxxx, PSREdit and ARC have a one time acqusistion fee after 30 days. Although the RR database is updated weekly it is not necessary to load into your scanner weekly. Only when there are changes to the area you are listening to or going to travel with the radio would you need to update the radio database.

MrBon

Swipesy... You know, your post didn't make me feel any better...lol. I remember back in the early 70s when scanners had crystals. Once again thank you for your help.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Basically yes. While you can pickup a Uniden or Whistler radio that will do Phase II and program it by hand, it will be a nightmare and very time consuming. Today's radios are meant to be programmed by computer. The Uniden and Whistler/GRE radios rely on the RadioReference database for loading the database into the radios. It has to be done by computer. Your only way around that is to have a relative or a friend that has a computer and would do the downloads from RR and uploads to your radio for you. EZScan and Sentinal software are free. WINxxx, PSREdit and ARC have a one time acqusistion fee after 30 days. Although the RR database is updated weekly it is not necessary to load into your scanner weekly. Only when there are changes to the area you are listening to or going to travel with the radio would you need to update the radio database.
Basically no many people here use Wine and or similar programs that emulate windows to program their scanners. Including a member here who works for scanner master. So saying basically yes is a uninformed opinion on you're part.

ansky

Bloomfield PD is now on the NJICS system which has terrible reception on most scanners. The only scanner on the market right now that can handle LSM is the Uniden SDS100. Whistler has a new model coming out but it won't be released until next year.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
Bloomfield PD is now on the NJICS system which has terrible reception on most scanners. The only scanner on the market right now that can handle LSM is the Uniden SDS100. Whistler has a new model coming out but it won't be released until next year.

That’s not 100% true. Location has a lot too do with it. My 2 Homepatrols are rock solid on NJICS at my home .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ansky

That’s not 100% true. Location has a lot too do with it. My 2 Homepatrols are rock solid on NJICS at my home .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I get that. But it is very rare to be in a location around here that does not suffer from LSM. Just look at all the complaints on these forums. I would hate to see the OP drop 400 bucks on a new scanner that won't even work for him. I made that mistake and wouldn't want it to happen to anyone else. The OP is better off just saving extra money to get the SDS100 which will be much more reliable in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.