BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Blown Speaker on BCD436?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
So I noticed yesterday night that during ton outs and sometimes while a dispatcher is talking it sounds like my speaker is blown out on my BCd436. It is very rattley and sometimes makes it almost in audible. Is the speaker something that is covered under warranty by Uniden or something that they can fix for me? Has anyone else had this happen on this scanner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sprite1741

Mine has done that since new right out of the box. At higher volumes like 12 and up it's hard to understand because of distortion. I use the headphones or keep the speaker volume below 8. How long have you had yours?

budevans

Mine has done that since new right out of the box. At higher volumes like 12 and up it's hard to understand because of distortion. I use the headphones or keep the speaker volume below 8. How long have you had yours?

Same here. The only difference is mine starts splattering at a volume setting of 8.

I also use earbuds when out and when at home I use a PC amplified speaker. The sound from the PC speaker is significantly better than the scanners internal speaker.

You should contact Uniden regarding your options.

sprite1741

That's the way mine is. 8 and below is clear. 8 to 12 has some distortion 12 and up forget it. My whistler and GRE have small speakers and are good right up until just under max. Twice as loud as the Uniden too. One of the reason I sold my 396t and kept my GRE years ago was the 396's speaker. It never sounded as good as the GRE and I had to replace it 2 times that I owned it. It completely went dead twice. I hope they are not using the same speaker as the 396t.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
I contacted them, and they said send it and they'll fix it if it's not water damaged, which I don't think this thing has ever had a drop of water…but it could take up to 3 weeks to ship and return to me which is a very difficult time line for me. If I go to a radio shop to have it repaired, would that void my warranty?

sprite1741

I don't know about the warranty. When I had my my 396 I was not going to send it back for weeks to replace a speaker. It was the only HH I had. A lot of people were doing it themselves. There was even a write up on the wiki on how to do it. Replace a Blown Speaker in the 396 - The RadioReference Wiki I am just living with mine until it goes out completly. If I need room filling sound I take the Whistler.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
So my speaker has now completely stopped working tonight. Anyone else ever had this happen?

The external audio jack till works.

Will Uniden still warranty my scanner though it has some scratches?

stingray327

Same here. The only difference is mine starts splattering at a volume setting of 8.

I also use earbuds when out and when at home I use a PC amplified speaker. The sound from the PC speaker is significantly better than the scanners internal speaker.

You should contact Uniden regarding your options.

The PC pre-amp speakers are powerful and work great in the car environment.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
Had my father, who knows a lot about electronics and how they work look at it. He says he thinks the speaker is just dead, but we weren't able to test the connectors since our multimeter is too high on ohms and the 436 can only sustain 2 ohms. Ordered a new speaker for it from UnidenParts.com, hopefully it will arrive this week. Anyone know how long they usually take to ship and process orders normally?

Kinda already tired of only being able to hear my scanner through a set of computer spekers

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I contacted them, and they said send it and they'll fix it if it's not water damaged, which I don't think this thing has ever had a drop of water…but it could take up to 3 weeks to ship and return to me which is a very difficult time line for me. If I go to a radio shop to have it repaired, would that void my warranty?

I know it's "just" a speaker but if I was Uniden, I would insist on an authorized repair facility and I'm sure that would be only Uniden. That protects them because they have no idea whether anyone else knows that they're doing. Replacing a speaker ain't rocket science but they're not about to specify in their warranty what others are allowed to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.