BNC connector chipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpawel15x

I was wondering what could be done if the bnc connector on your scanner gets "chipped" off so badly by years of use and switching antennas. Not totally chipped off but used to the point where it gets rounded, and deformed. Has anyone done anything to their scanners to put back the little duds on the bnc connector? Anyone ever changed the entire bnc connector stem to a brand new one? Is this a risky operation or rather easy? I'm asking because I noticed the bnc connector on one of my scanners is getting used off and I'm getting scared one day I will not be able to put an antenna on it... lol..

sjcscanner

Premium Subscriber
There was a thread a while ago where someone had a problem similar to this. You could buy a bnc connector that is straight up.

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I never really thought about a "BNC saver", I just replace them. Oh well, you reminded me of the socket savers I used on my tube testers, anybody remember those?

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
rfradioconsult said:
I wonder how many folks know what we called an "all american five" was.

Yep. The transformerless 5 tube AC/DC radio. But I don't use socket savers in any of mine, OR in my tube testers.

Yup those could kill you if you happened to touch the actual chassis or take a knob off and touch the shaft if the ac cord was plugged in wrong; long live 35w4 and 50c5. I grew up in a mining area as a teen I found a radio with a transformer rated for 25 cps operation, that was common in the mining area.

kb2vxa

Banned
"But I don't use socket savers in any of mine, OR in my tube testers."

With so many tubes around and so much demand to test them there must really be a big need for socket savers these days. (;->)

Aw, let's take it back a bit to the days of the 117Z3, 50L6, 35Z4 and Mae West. Now pray tell me what she had to do with these tubes. Hmmm, while we're at it what was the 0Z4 and what was it used for? Oh let's drop the bomb... what does this have to do with television?

The All American Five was the answer to a British rock band and I'm glad all over! (;->)

Speaking of 25~ "coffee pot current" why was it used in a mining area and what was it's primary use? I'll give you a clue, it's use was very specialized but not exclusive to mining. In fact it was in widespread use nowhere near mines, in the heart of New York City for one. Now here's one that will tantalize you, where, how and why is it still in use today?

This is bound to be good, the answer may surprise many. Hee HEE!

OMG 0z4 wasn't that a cold cathode rectifier; I remember the ps on a 57 Chevrolet was located behind the speaker. The european rr's run 16 Hz. How about the Hazeltine corp.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
kb2vxa said:

With so many tubes around and so much demand to test them there must really be a big need for socket savers these days. (;->)

Aw, let's take it back a bit to the days of the 117Z3, 50L6, 35Z4 and Mae West. Now pray tell me what she had to do with these tubes. Hmmm, while we're at it what was the 0Z4 and what was it used for? Oh let's drop the bomb... what does this have to do with television?

The All American Five was the answer to a British rock band and I'm glad all over! (;->)

Speaking of 25~ "coffee pot current" why was it used in a mining area and what was it's primary use? I'll give you a clue, it's use was very specialized but not exclusive to mining. In fact it was in widespread use nowhere near mines, in the heart of New York City for one. Now here's one that will tantalize you, where, how and why is it still in use today?

I'll take a half educated-guess but I'll probably be wrong........low risk of explosion ignition in flammable gas enviroment? Subway "3rd" rail current? Bumper Cars sparky pole thing?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
kb2vxa said:

I'm gonna take a wild guess here, since I never heard the term "coffee pot current". But your other clues give me a hint... DC current. Con Ed still provided DC current in the downtown area (until recently, I think?) for the use of elevators.

kb2vxa said:

two words "skin effect"

kb2vxa

Banned
OMG, one of you actually remembers something but the rest are SO far off base I'm going to have a little fun with you. (evil grin with horns)

"OMG 0z4 wasn't that a cold cathode rectifier?"
An octal based cold cathode mercury vapor full wave rectifier.

"I remember the ps on a 57 Chevrolet was located behind the speaker."
I wouldn't dare take the old man's car apart, my first AM DXing radio was a 6V Buick Sonomatic with an internal 8" speaker.

"The European rr's run 16 Hz."
Only one but I don't remember WHICH one. The rest are 50Hz with any of a number of catenary voltages. The Eurostar train set is unique, it runs on them all including 600VDC third rail and Deisel.

"How about the Hazeltine corp."
Hazletine Laboratories actually, the brains behind RCA, Dumont, Electrohome, Hallicrafters, Heathkit and many more.

Re: 25 Hz current;
"I'll take a half educated-guess but I'll probably be wrong........low risk of explosion ignition in flammable gas environment?"
Totally uneducated (;->), a spark is a spark is a spark.

"Subway "3rd" rail current?"
In NY the IND used it for traction and station power. That's why those dim 25W bulbs flickered and drove me bug eyed.

"Bumper Cars sparky pole thing?"
Sparky pole LOL! Frankly I have no idea but I suspect maybe DC since they had DC motors and speed control.

"I'm gonna take a wild guess here, since I never heard the term "coffee pot current". But your other clues give me a hint... DC current."
No, I heard the term used by railroaders but I'm saving the best for last.

"Con Ed still provided DC current in the downtown area (until recently, I think?) for the use of elevators."
Not so recently, it was decades ago DC went out. Previously some scattered neighborhoods had it but the why and wherefore is only a few fragments told to me by some old timers so I can't give you any useful information.

"two words "skin effect"
EEEHHH??? Skin effect only happens at radio frequencies above a few hundred kilohertz or so.

As the talking head remarked just before it exploded, "Get ready for a big surprise!"
I did mention railroaders calling 25Hz "coffee pot current" and here's the reason. When the Pennsylvania Railroad between Boston and Washington was electrified in 1937 they used 25 Hz current supplied by big city generators like Consolidated Edison and Philadelphia Electric. (Con Ed also supplied the IND subway.) Back then low frequency like that 16Hz European system had the advantage, AC traction (induction) motors deliver maximum torque at that frequency so 25Hz was chosen as a bit of a compromise between tractive effort and transmission efficiency. Today's locomotives employ computer controlled variable frequency, variable voltage and variable current power inverters with feedback sensing loops for top efficiency at all load and speed conditions. Another advantage is they'll eat just about anything you feed them so they can run on just about any system anywhere. Today the Amtrak NEC system still operates using the original PRR transmission equipment because 60Hz conversion is not cost effective and gives no particular advantage.

To sum it up, New Jersey Transit shares part of the NEC with Amtrak (New York to Trenton Main) while the rest of the system operates on 60Hz standard current. The locomotives don't even blink when transiting the phase break between the 11KV 25Hz and 25KV 60HZ catenaries although along some older and sagging stretches the pantographs become "sparky poles" as someone tickled my funny bone with previously.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.