Body Found in the American River

Status
Not open for further replies.

sac-emt

This afternoon, a body was found in the American River. Possibly the San Juan Rapid's drowning victim from a few days ago.

It could have made a significant difference in the outcome, if he was wearing a life-vest.

Sacramento Metro Fire and the Metro Fire Community Emergency Response Team (Metro Fire CERT) will be out this Labor Day weekend loaning out life-vests at the Sunrise Boulevard River Entry point.

Even though the flow is at 3000 and looks calm on the surface, it is still can be dangerous if you fall into the water.

So, if you are out on the water this holiday weekend, please wear your life-vests, if not, make sure the kids have one on.

Last edited:

RolnCode3

My trainee and I wrote the missing person report last week when he went missing. We were the unit assigned this call today (from my department), as well, and are doing the remainder of the reclassification/casualty.

The coroner said it was a "tentative" ID, so I can't post one way or the other. It was reported by Pebbles as believed to be the person from last week, and that is an appropriate assesment.

Please be careful, buckle your life vest, and don't drink too much.

As for the "life vest" comment. What the media reported was accurate. He was wearing it, but took it off and threw it into the raft. It was unbuckled, and made it difficult for him to swim, so he took it off.

This is a tragedy with no "silver lining".

Last edited:

rananthony04

Don't you hate "tentative" ID's? I work in Orange County (CA) with the Sheriff-Coroner transporting the dead bodies. The very first thing the Deputy Coroner asks/requests for whether over the phone or on scene is the ID of the deceased(granted the ID is not in possession of the deceased). The Coroner is the only one allowed to move the body once he or she has been pronounced, at least thats how things are done down in Orange Co. I know that the Deputy Coroners here in the OC aren't too fond of tentatives and/or John/Jane Doe's.
A Question for RolnCode3, how does your agency/county handle death calls, and how often are you assigned to a DB investigation? Just curious.

Regards,
Robert

RolnCode3

We only deal with a few DB calls a year (I don't work for the Coroner's office here). Often, the PD or SO will take them, but we do some. There's no reason we can't do them, and I enjoy actually doing the work.

The tentative ID just means it's slightly delayed in notifying the family. Subject's picture has been in the newspaper, so word's out that it's probably him, but it's not confirmed.

We're assigned the call based on patrol area. If it's in your patrol area, you get it (except where there's trainees out, and they can do it for training).

RolnCode3

ID was confirmed yesterday, family previously notified.

This has been a busy week for DBs. I believe there were 4 in 1 week. The 187 at Northgate/Del Paso, this drowning, a hanging, and a natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.