Boerne, TX/Kendall County

Status
Not open for further replies.

otter9309

Fluctuations in signal strength in high winds usually is due to a coax swinging and bad antenna connection. Sounds like they may have a tower issue.

TexasFire

Fluctuations in signal strength in high winds usually is due to a coax swinging and bad antenna connection. Sounds like they may have a tower issue.

LCRA has been attempting to troubleshoot reception issues for at least the past several months (I'm a firefighter with BVFD). Before the Christmas holidays, they were performing tests on the system, trying to pinpoint the issue. Nothing definitive yet, as far as I know. Main complaint is a lot of "white noise" on primary.

boernegang

Premium Subscriber
Hello TexasFire, fellow Kendall county resident here. I hear the white noise you describe when TG's are patched to allow Airlife to communicate with the LZ. When you say on "primary" are you talking about the Fire/EMS dispatch channel?? Feel free to instant message me, I have a Uniden 396xt and listen to it all the time.

Welcome to the forum!!

ajfan1999

I assumed the signal issue during high winds is just due to the regular telescopic antennae but on normal no wind days the signal is great. Does anyone have issues with transmissions dropping at times on their scanners? Sometimes an officer or dispatch will be talking and then the conversation drops out.

boernegang

Premium Subscriber
I have, most days its great. I have watched my scanner signal go from 5 bars to 2 bars back to 5 without moving the scanner. I can only receive the Kendall site from my home location. Drivng down main street is terrible, granted the scanner is mounted in the vehicle using a RS-800 antenna but when I get out of Boerne it gets much better.

NC5267

I was in Boerne the other day off Main street around 46 and site 120 the Boerne site was full strength with just the stock antenna inside the car. Site 120 is the "home" site in all of the radios for Kendall county affiliated with the system. There radios will switch to the outlying sites when they are out of range of the control channel for the Boerne site.

ajfan1999

I live in Boerne city limits and the 120 site is the strongest. Usually I get 5 bars but on very windy days the bars go from 5 to 0 and back to 5 back to 0, so trying to figure out if its their system or my stock antenna.

boernegang

Premium Subscriber
New TG's

Heard 7036 today, sounded like a fireground TG from comfort. I think they were doing a controlled burn.

Listening to 7021 right now. Sounds like some type of surveillance on a vehicle here in Boerne. I do not recognize any voices and no ID's are being used. Could DEA be on the 700?? Sounds alot like their surveillance I have heard in San Antonio.

This is on the Kendall site

NC5267

Could you see radio ID numbers?(if you have that setting turned on) I have seen 7021 before and it was all streets in the Boerne Kendall area being called out. I thought it was BPD or Kendall SO CID guys by the radio numbers starting with 830. Any type of surveillance pretty much sounds the same from one agency to another unless the mention a specific channel or call a helicopter or plane by a certain name. I have heard Federal stuff that sounds like small town CID guys and vice versa.

ajfan1999

Did you hear any unit numbers being mentioned? Kendall SO units are 1100s and Boerne PD are 300s.

boernegang

Premium Subscriber
No unit number were being used. I turned on the ID setting so maybe that will help. Listening now on regular TG for KCSO and DPS id is 500.

NC5267

Boernegang Any state agencies on the LCRA P25 system Will start with 500 something. Boerne and Kendall start with 830 Live Oak area units FD and PD from all the towns around Live Oak on the system start with 829. New Braunfels I believe starts with 828 and others I am not 100 percent on. Anything patched with a vhf channel is 999*** the last three can be anyting.

ajfan1999

MDT Alarm

Does anyone know what it means when a dispatcher tells and officer MDT alarm not the same subject? I hear this quite often.

scrotumola

On some systems, when an MDT user receives a TCIC/NCIC hit/match for a wanted or stolen inquiry, the dispatcher gets notified of the hit. In newer systems equipped with GPS, the dispatcher will also know where the inquiring officer is to send additional cover/resources. Dispatchers also (usually) have better training/more experience in deciphering 'soundexes' which are close hits or aliases. So upon getting a hit, upon further review, either the running officer or dispatcher can ascertain if the return is a match to the original inquiry and advises the other accordingly.

boernegang

Premium Subscriber
Update on my post about new TG's:

I am listening to KCSO Ops 3, sounds like surveillance. All radio ID's are starting with 830XXXX.

I guess it is the local cid doing their thing.

boernegang

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like dispatch is having trouble hearing units this morning?! EMS and BPD are calling dispatch and not getting any response.

Update: By the radio ID looks like dispatch is using handheld units.

I've also noticed I am not hearing any BISD buses anymore.

Last edited:

NC5267

Man it seems like Boerne always has some kind of problem with the system. The people I know in the Live Oak area that are on it say they have very little to no problems. The terrain is also probably a factor being that this area is mainly urban and most agencies are right around the Live Oak tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.