bootable memory stick image with telive software

Status
Not open for further replies.

sq5bpf

this is split from the "tetra decoding" thread, so that it will not get lost in the noise with all of the other stuff in there.

i've made a demo telive image, that can be booted from a 16GB memory stick. this way windows people won't have to use VMs (which are slow), and hopefully i will get less questions about linux basics

short description:

1. download from here:

Code:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-AD504JevuWNEhBS29qbkYzTE0

you should verify that the md5 sum is 9d5e47abb8633f583198d53d60f67802

2. gunzip telive_live_2016031101.img.gz
3. dd if=telive_live_2016031101.img of=/dev/sdXXX (where /dev/sdXXX is the memory stick device).

This site has instructions on how to do steps 2 and 3 on other operating systems including Windows:

Code:
https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Writing_Disk_Images

4. boot from the memory stick

5. read the README_FIRST.txt file on the desktop, the telive_doc.pdf and the rest of the docs

6. configure internet access, do the steps from the README_FIRST.txt (this gets you the codec)

7. the demo gnuradio-companion config is deliberatly made for very slow hardware., but it's a good idea to run volk_profile on an idle system (regardless of the hardware used)

If someone needs help with linux, then use the internet and don't ask here. there is plenty of support for linux mint on the internet.

probably this image will run in a VM too, but it's probably not worth it

NOTE: this image doesn't have the ACELP codec due to licensing, but a script is provided so that the user can download and compile it

please also read the "tetra decoding" thread:
Code:
http://forums.radioreference.com/voice-control-channel-decoding-software/302347-tetra-decoding.html

Last edited by a moderator:

sq5bpf

the correct link is:
Code:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-AD504JevuWNEhBS29qbkYzTE0

unfortunately i can't edit the previous post

sq5bpf

please use this link:
Code:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-AD504JevuWM0tQQ1owUV9TTVE

the md5sum is b8afd972af638cbacc3671337efd6796

this image is a bit smaller, and should fit on some pendrives which advertise 16GB, but are really a bit smaller

DualC

Hi..

Now it's worked better for me, .. i used Rufus in Windows to write the image to my USB memory.

It seems to work well on my "radio" computer as well, but i have trouble to get my wroted down frequencies to work. :/

I have Ubuntu 14.04 and latest Tlive installed before and it works well, but when i trie to listen to the same station on the Telive on the stick it doesent work .. :( doesent know why .. but it seems to be somthing with the frequencies.

/M

sq5bpf

I have Ubuntu 14.04 and latest Tlive installed before and it works well, but when i trie to listen to the same station on the Telive on the stick it doesent work .. :( doesent know why .. but it seems to be somthing with the frequencies.

i hope it works well for you on some frequencies, and only some are problematic

i assume that you've tuned the signals etc. the problem might be that you're using the default grc flowgraph, which is for very slow machines (either very old laptops or in virtual machines). this flowgraph uses a 256kHz sample rate to minimize CPU load, and unfortunately the dongle doesn't work well with this sample rate (i think that the antialliasing filter in the rtl2832 can't be that narrow).

try using the telive_1ch_simple_gr37_udp.grc (or telive_1ch_simple_gr37.grc if you're using the pipes), and see if this works better (this one has 2MHz bandwidth)

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
When I follow the instructions in the file, once I hit the "Start" button, there's no other window that pops up. Another window does open up, but there's no data in it. Hard to explain, but I'll throw up a screenshot later.

Any ideas?

sq5bpf

When I follow the instructions in the file, once I hit the "Start" button, there's no other window that pops up. Another window does open up, but there's no data in it. Hard to explain, but I'll throw up a screenshot later.

Any ideas?

by "start button" you mean the gnuradio-companion run flowgraph button?

it might be because you don't have enough ram on your system. 1GB should be ok (will probably work on less ram, but haven't tried it). what hardware is this? (VM?)

could you try to run gqrx and see if it works ok?

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, I was half asleep when I posted that!

I'll take a pic later and show you what I mean. The machine I'm running it on has 8GB RAM so that shouldn't be an issue. It isn't on a VM, I'm using the USB live-stick.

And yes, I mean the run flowgraph button (F6).

I'll give gqrx a shot and see what happens.

sq5bpf

i've tried running this on an old dell D610 laptop from (about 10 years old) with the following hardware: intel pentium M 1.86GHz, 512MB ram. i wouldn't recommend using this hardware, but this was done to see what the limits are.

to free cpu i've disabled compositing (settings -> desktop settings -> window manager, change from "xfwm4 + compositing" to "xfwm4"), this will be the default in next versions of the bootable images (if any)

to speed up gnuradio i've ran volk_profile (remember to have other applications closed)

used the default gnuradio flowgraph (the udp version for slow computers), to have less cpu load i've disabled the spectrum displays (click "stop" on the left).

the receiver1udp window has been minimised (this is so that it doesn't show the scrolling text from the decoder)

when decoding one channel, the system uses about 50% cpu (and about 80% with the spectrum graphs enabled again), and about 80MB of the ram is still free. the audio is ok

with some tweaking i could probably be able to decode a second channel too.

grosminet

UDP

I convert img file in Vmware volume and make an vmware virtual machine . I can't change any settings because I don't have root password .

There is a script for UDP . Is there any possibilties to use this UDP with GQRX UDP output ? (using SOX)

sq5bpf

I convert img file in Vmware volume and make an vmware virtual machine . I can't change any settings because I don't have root password .

this means that you have not read the documentation (the README_FIRST.txt file). please RTFM

There is a script for UDP . Is there any possibilties to use this UDP with GQRX UDP output ? (using SOX)

no. you could write some software to convert it (connect via udp, resample to 36kHz, convert to an IQ stream, and output the cfile format). but there is no reason to do it, the receiver is quite flexible as it is, and it is very easy to modify. also gqrx will give you only one channel, and a 1-channel receiver is only a "demo" platform: it can be used to show that you can listen to tetra and to learn the software, but any serious setup will listen to all channels within some LA (or many LAs with multiple telive instances)

Last edited:

kevtheskin

How too

Hello all.
Could someone explain how to make telive usb bootable. I have tried 6 x to put the image on a 64g stick using Rufus and does not work. Not sure if my image download is broken or not.

Thanks Kev

sq5bpf

Could someone explain how to make telive usb bootable. I have tried 6 x to put the image on a 64g stick using Rufus and does not work. Not sure if my image download is broken or not.

did you verify the md5 checksum?

did you uncompress it before putting the image on the pendrive? (sorry, had to ask)

you could also try to ask someone with a different operating system to do this for you, for example under linux or under mac os it can be simply done with gunzip and dd.

kevtheskin

Hello again.
Yes I tried uncompressed and also from compressed format no good :( . And yes I verified the checksum. Should the uncompressed file be about 14gig?

Kev

sq5bpf

Should the uncompressed file be about 14gig?

yes

btw what does the bios say when trying to boot this pendrive?

did you try to use a different pendrive?

can you try the linux route? i don't really trust the windows tools to do the right thing

i've found another windows gui that should be able to copy an image to the pendrive, maybe this will work:
https://unetbootin.github.io/

maybe other windows users could share which application (and which version) works for them

kevtheskin

Hello again.
Thanks for replying. I have tried again to create bootable Usb with the telive img . Cant get it to work. Have tried unebootin . Win32disk image and also Rufus. Nothing works? . I cant even extract the image to create and Iso. Have download from your link about 6 times and verified with md5 checksome and all good. Also as for Linux I am not that clued up in using so not worth trying for me. Please any other idea's much appreciated.
Thanks Kev

sq5bpf

Also as for Linux I am not that clued up in using so not worth trying for me.

maybe you know someone that has a linux system installed? under linux this is just a matter of executing 2 simple commands

i will try to find someone with a computer running windows, and see what steps are needed to make the bootable pendrive. but this might take some time unfortunately.

kevtheskin

maybe you know someone that has a linux system installed? under linux this is just a matter of executing 2 simple commands

i will try to find someone with a computer running windows, and see what steps are needed to make the bootable pendrive. but this might take some time unfortunately.
That would be real kind of you if you could please.

Cheers Kev

kevtheskin

Hello again.
Just a small update I managed to un archive the image file down to the folder name 0 then I tried live usb to make bootable Usb stick did not work. Any more help I would be much appreciated.
Kev De MM0KJG
Ps just realized your user name is a callsign?

sameehosen

Premium Subscriber
Thank you my friend
You really creative
Unfortunately, all the links do not work I have so I can load
I try to be downloaded and I am working on windows system

Status
Not open for further replies.