• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Boss wants 6 radios for security use

Status
Not open for further replies.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
One possible option that I haven't seen mentioned is the use of a commercial communication provider. There are some providers that may offer statewide (or near-statewide) service via linked repeaters in major population areas. Typically, both the radios and the service are rented and can be up-sized or downsized as needed. The on-going monthly cost might be daunting, but the up-front costs would be minimal.

MSS-Dave

One possible option that I haven't seen mentioned is the use of a commercial communication provider. There are some providers that may offer statewide (or near-statewide) service via linked repeaters in major population areas. Typically, both the radios and the service are rented and can be up-sized or downsized as needed. The on-going monthly cost might be daunting, but the up-front costs would be minimal.
I posted a commercial communications provider solution even to the name of a dealer earlier in the thread. I don't know why this subject is getting Beat to Death so much though. In order of cost least to most expensive, Zello on a cell phone, IP based toy "two-way" radio, commercial provider like I mentioned, build your own system. The OP said there's not a lot of money available for this so Zello on a cell phone would probably be the only way he's going to be able to go.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
To continue beating the deceased horse:

-Cellular app is least expensive --but reliant on cell infrastructure
-Renting time on someone else's system (FL NexEdge OR SunTalk- whichever has better coverage for you) --least capital expenditure, but highest operational expenditure
-Build your own--large cap ex, lower op ex

TT

domes

How can you say build your own has lower operating expense. The estimate given previously suggested $2,150.00 per month expenses to rent 2 tower sites plus internet service. Even at $35 per unit airtime you'd have to have 61 radios to break even. And that doesn't account for any infrastructure maintenance costs. Most small businesses could put that 15-20K infrastructure dollars to better use. Plus the SMR service will go beyond the local radius and keep in communication during the couple hundred mile drive between Jacksonville & Miami and they can open a future office in another city without additional infrastructure cost.

We operate an SMR and it is simple math to justify airtime vs build your own to our 100+ radio customers

ke6ats

Premium Subscriber
Stretchman, this is merely my 2 cents. When "the boss wants" comes into play, RUN. Run like the wind! I have been entangled twice in "the boss wants radios" situations. In my experience, the boss has absolutely no clue what it will take to realize what he/she envisions. IMHO, tell the boss go to a radio service provider & let him/her run with it.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Stretchman, this is merely my 2 cents. When "the boss wants" comes into play, RUN. Run like the wind! I have been entangled twice in "the boss wants radios" situations. In my experience, the boss has absolutely no clue what it will take to realize what he/she envisions. IMHO, tell the boss go to a radio service provider & let him/her run with it.

That's good advice. The fact that the "boss" balked at the price should tell you a lot. Don't get roped into trying to build him/her some cobbled together, legally questionable, hackjob radio system. Having no clue what he's looking for, no idea what it's going to cost, and no idea how to get it is always a red flag.

ohyouknow1885

The company I work for are Icom dealers and this may be a good solution for you. This is taken from Icom America's site.

Communicate far and wide with LTE-CONNECT, Icom’s LTE radio solution. Using 4G and 3G networks, the IP501H allows for instantaneous push-to-talk communications throughout North America.

Fowler

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like the boss is cheap....Id go with cell phones...everyone's got them...need something?...give em a call
He could throw everyone $20 month for using their personal phones for the business....

Status
Not open for further replies.