Bradley Co EMA new radio system article

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFD288

Cleveland Daily Banner ran this story Tuesday 8-16-16 about the county EMA new radio system plans. Nowhere in the article is the existing TACN system mentioned; the article makes this appear as a totally separate radio system. I know the county sheriff has previously indicated he wants a new radio system for his officers but has not mentioned joining TACN either. Currently Bradley Co Fire and Bradley Co EMS are on TACN, don't understand why other county agencies would not want to join TACN. Could be I'm missing something in all this....

Scotty

EMA radio system gets finance nod for upgrade | The Cleveland Daily Banner

CFD288

Thanks BG that makes a lot more sense. Since TACN wasn't mentioned was concerned they were striking out on their own. In the recent WTVC report on Whitfield Co GA radio upgrade joining TACN was mentioned more than once.

Scotty

emcom

The key in that article is:

"“Once we get it [operational], the state will pay for all of the upgrades from that point on,” Spence said. "

I took that to mean that it will become part of the state system with the state paying for future upgrades.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
TACN will be growing larger over the next 2 years with that addition and the Middle TN RTRS.

slatescan

Premium Subscriber
Cleveland Daily Banner ran this story Tuesday 8-16-16 about the county EMA new radio system plans. Nowhere in the article is the existing TACN system mentioned; the article makes this appear as a totally separate radio system. I know the county sheriff has previously indicated he wants a new radio system for his officers but has not mentioned joining TACN either. Currently Bradley Co Fire and Bradley Co EMS are on TACN, don't understand why other county agencies would not want to join TACN. Could be I'm missing something in all this....

Scotty

EMA radio system gets finance nod for upgrade | The Cleveland Daily Banner

just like BG and Milf said it will be part of TACN. a big conversion

tosh

Premium Subscriber
I travel to that area often, and I have heard Bradley Co. Sheriff operating on the TACN on "Sheriff Ops." Perhaps they are transitioning. Sounds like Bradley Co. Fire is simulcasting on VHF along with operations on TACN.

richard4537312

Premium Subscriber
To get anything accomplished in Bradley County, you have to think and act politically like a Bradley Countian, even though you might not necessarily agree. To say at this stage that the new system would ultimately be a part of the state-owned system would absolutely doom the project. The City of Cleveland, CPD especially, is already firmly committed to TACN. Anything that even remotely resembles a consolidation of city and county services, or heaven forbid a tiny step in the direction of a metropolitan form of government, is absolutely taboo. Bottom Line: "I ain't gonna stand idly by and let nobody raise my county propitty taxes."

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
To get anything accomplished in Bradley County, you have to think and act politically like a Bradley Countian, even though you might not necessarily agree. To say at this stage that the new system would ultimately be a part of the state-owned system would absolutely doom the project. The City of Cleveland, CPD especially, is already firmly committed to TACN. Anything that even remotely resembles a consolidation of city and county services, or heaven forbid a tiny step in the direction of a metropolitan form of government, is absolutely taboo. Bottom Line: "I ain't gonna stand idly by and let nobody raise my county propitty taxes."

Cleveland has not stated they have any issues. County ONLY has issues with the Constables getting TACN radios. Everyone is on the same page here, which is very rare indeed for Down South, especially in TN.

richard4537312

Premium Subscriber
You're exactly right, milf. There appears to be 100% cooperation between city and county. The matter has been very skillfully, but not deceptively, presented to the public. If county voters get the slightest perception of cooperation with the city, heads will roll on the county commission.

As far as the constables' radios are concerned, there are multiple local business men and women who would reach for their checkbooks, if someone would ask.

xlr8

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to Bradley County Third Rock From The Sun

Additional details about Bradley County Constables quest for the Bradley County Commission to fund P25 Phase II, TACN-capable radios for communication with the Bradley County Sheriff's Office and the 911 Center are in the articles below. Sheriff Eric Watson was quoted in one article as saying,"“There is no such thing as a private radio communication system in Bradley County". In the article is confirmation - if you can believe what is said at Bradley County Commission meetings - that the legacy analog NFM systems will be left in place after the full switchover to the TACN system.

Commissioner says constable threatened him | The Cleveland Daily Banner

Gayla Miller charges unnamed constables with bullying tactics | The Cleveland Daily Banner

Comedy material abounds when the Bradley County Commission is in session. Joe Diffie could even adapt a modified version of his 1994 hit "Third Rock From The Sun" about this boondoggle!

"Cause and effect, chain of events
All of the chaos makes perfect sense
When you're spinning round, things come undone
Welcome to Bradley County 3rd rock from the Sun..."

richard4537312

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic, but I interpreted the sheriff's comment as a confirmation that full time BCSO dispatch on TACN will not be encrypted, when and if it ever occurs. Reliable gossip within the emergency services community had it that the switchover would occur on October 15. However, as of 10:00 AM today, there is no BCSO dispatch on TACN.

xlr8

Premium Subscriber
Alas, as expected, the Bradley County Commission has voted, ruled, and decreed that they will not be purchasing P25 radios for those Bradley County Constables who have not already purchased their own units.

See:
Goins to file complaint against constable | The Cleveland Daily Banner

The saga of the P25 radio purchases may be over for the constables, but the weekly entertainment provided by the Bradley County Commissioners just keeps rolling...

richard4537312

Premium Subscriber
Yesterday I asked a small assemblage of unnamed, on-duty deputies about the projected start-up date for the new radio system. After a hearty round of laughter, someone volunteered that "they've put 'em in some of the patrol cars." Draw your own conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.