Brand new PRS800 - corrupt microSD card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadgetguy2009

Hello all,

just got my brand new PRS800. As a first step I made a copy of the included microSD card (since I wanted to safeguard it and use a Sandisk microSD card instead).

Actually: I just tried to make a copy - as when I started to copy to files I got several read errors (I/O error).

What now? Do I need the PRS800 original microSD files for anything? Can I just download the frequencies from the Radioreference database to my new microSD card? How?

Please help as I am a bit worried now (I am in Canada, got the radio from the US - do not want to return as I just paid $60 duties when I picked it up...)

Thank you all!

troymail

Silent Key
Hello all,

just got my brand new PRS800. As a first step I made a copy of the included microSD card (since I wanted to safeguard it and use a Sandisk microSD card instead).

Actually: I just tried to make a copy - as when I started to copy to files I got several read errors (I/O error).

What now? Do I need the PRS800 original microSD files for anything? Can I just download the frequencies from the Radioreference database to my new microSD card? How?

Please help as I am a bit worried now (I am in Canada, got the radio from the US - do not want to return as I just paid $60 duties when I picked it up...)

Thank you all!

I believe you can just use the "Prepare Scanner Memory/SD Card for Use" feature in the Scanner/SD Card menu of EZ Scan to format your SD card and copy all of the files back onto the card. You should use an external SD card reader to do this -- the cable will work but it will take a long time that way.

Gadgetguy2009

Thank you. So I do not need the (corrupted) data from the original SD card? That would be amazing!

Thanks for clarifying.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I believe you can just use the "Prepare Scanner Memory/SD Card for Use" feature in the Scanner/SD Card menu of EZ Scan to format your SD card and copy all of the files back onto the card. You should use an external SD card reader to do this -- the cable will work but it will take a long time that way.

I'll second that. Got my 800 this afternoon and had to reformat the card. I don't have an adapter for the microSD card, so I had to do it thru the cable. Took forever and then some ( probably around 25 to 30 minutes ). I'll be off to Wal-Mart or Best Buy tomorrow to buy a SanDisk microSD and an adapter.

troymail

Silent Key
Thank you. So I do not need the (corrupted) data from the original SD card? That would be amazing!

Thanks for clarifying.

The only thing that I believe would be lost is any "manual" or specific programming you've done - for example: talkgroup or radio id alpha tags, specific contents of scanlists, etc.

All of the "basic data" can be restored using the EZ Scan software.

kb8rvp

I would also do the Scanner cpu updates via the EZscan software too. They have corrected some issues issues with the scanner screen freezing and I think errors reading the SD card also.

Mike

abear27

You don't need to backup the original SD card. I was going to do the same thing when I got mine, but ... You can reset all the settings in the software, and you're going to update the database and add your own programming anyways, so I don't see any reason to bother.

Although it can be nice to have a second or larger micro-SD card you can use for backup or if you want to do much recording.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.