BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Brand new to the scanning game, couple questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I am brand new to the scanning game and recently purchased my first scanner; Uniden BCD996P2.

I live in Charlotte, NC and I have a few questions for the scanner masters:

I am utilizing 'FreeScan' to set my frequencies and I have purchased donator in order to utilize the import feature, which made my life 10 times easier. Although, I am having one issue; only a few (2) of the talkgroups that were imported to the scanner actually worked.

I have 'NORTH' and 'CENTRAL' talking on my scanner but those are the only ones. These two frequencies are available on system: Charlotte / Mecklenburg County (Motorola) [MOT TYPE II]

I have numerous other systems available in the Charlotte area, such as: NC Viper, Charlotte UASI.

I am trying to get the 'South Division' and 'Providence Divisions' of the CMPD frequencies that are apart of Charlotte UASI but unfortunately it doesn't seem like anything is working.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Welcome to the hobby.

I don't live in the Charlotte area, but travel there on occasion. If you look at the database page for Mecklenburg County, you'll see that there is a link to the Charlotte UASI system with a note that it carries all Police/Fire/EMS traffic. So you need to download the frequencies/sites and talkgroups for CMPD for that system.

This information isn't obvious when just using programming software. So you can typically use the database page, and the wiki pages (linked off of the county and trunked system database pages) to help figure out which agencies are on which systems.

In this particular case, the Meck Co Motorola Type II system is an old system that the county has been transitioning off of for several years. For various reasons (as I recall, it's mostly for legacy support for users with old radios), a few talkgroups remain active on that system. But almost all traffic is carried on the UASI system instead.

You'll see that Meck Co also has some talkgroups on the NC VIPER statewide trunked system. I believe most of those are for interoperability usage and are not used regularly. NC SHP and many other agencies do use that system, so it's worth programming.

Learning what agencies use which system is half the challenge, and the fun, of the hobby. The other half is the technical challenges of learning how your particular radio works and should be programmed. Good luck with your efforts.

kg4pbd

Hello all. I am brand new to the scanning game and recently purchased my first scanner; Uniden BCD996P2.

I live in Charlotte, NC and I have a few questions for the scanner masters:

I am utilizing 'FreeScan' to set my frequencies and I have purchased donator in order to utilize the import feature, which made my life 10 times easier. Although, I am having one issue; only a few (2) of the talkgroups that were imported to the scanner actually worked.

I have 'NORTH' and 'CENTRAL' talking on my scanner but those are the only ones. These two frequencies are available on system: Charlotte / Mecklenburg County (Motorola) [MOT TYPE II]

I have numerous other systems available in the Charlotte area, such as: NC Viper, Charlotte UASI.

I am trying to get the 'South Division' and 'Providence Divisions' of the CMPD frequencies that are apart of Charlotte UASI but unfortunately it doesn't seem like anything is working.
You are on the old system. North and Central are the only divisions still carried on the old system. Use the UASI system https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6561 with the Mecklenburg Simulcast site. Note that Providence and South divisions are often patched together.

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
That is also the same for Fire & EMS, everyone is using the P25 UASI system now. That should get you pretty much all you'd need. Keep in mind some of the CONF channels are encrypted (Fire & EMS), as well as various CMPD Tactical & SWAT-type channels so if you were hoping to download them you'll hear nothing but silence or an underwater noise. There's also surrounding areas you may wanna listen to, specifically Union County and/or Gaston County, that get hoppin sometimes too!

David

Soundman

Do you have a email address. I have all of the p25 that was from my old BCD996xlt . It has a butt load of stuff on it . I will see if I can find it .A guy gave me the codes . I will have to check my email and get back to you . You can pm me your email address .

Status
Not open for further replies.