Brandon Fire/Rankin County

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorola2935

Brandon FD and MSWIN

Brandon FD does not actually use the MSWIN at this time, they are content with their VHF radios and channels. According to my sources those were created so there would talk groups ready for them if they do decide to switch.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Rankin EOC has MSWIN radios that BFD can use if needed. As well as having the ability to patch into the County Fire TGs.

IAmTheJody

Premium Subscriber
Newb lost somewhere in Rankin County

I've been given a RadioShack Pro-164 and apparently haven't a clue what I'm doing trying to program it with ARC300. I pull the RR info for Pearl (Rankin County), including the frequencies and talk groups, through ARC300. Load it in Bank 0 (also tried it in Bank 1) of the scanner. Unplug my cable when it tells me to. Press the Scan button on the scanner. Try and listen - but never hear anything yet my Scanner Pro app on my phone running at the same time has plenty of traffic. I also tried just loading all of Rankin County into a bank and still never hear anything. Pressed the weather button on the scanner and that works great! Any help, directions, instructions, etc. in a quick manner would be greatly appreciated as I'm on the 30-day free trial of ARC300. haha!

scott

Feed Provider
I've been given a RadioShack Pro-164 and apparently haven't a clue what I'm doing trying to program it with ARC300. I pull the RR info for Pearl (Rankin County), including the frequencies and talk groups, through ARC300. Load it in Bank 0 (also tried it in Bank 1) of the scanner. Unplug my cable when it tells me to. Press the Scan button on the scanner. Try and listen - but never hear anything yet my Scanner Pro app on my phone running at the same time has plenty of traffic. I also tried just loading all of Rankin County into a bank and still never hear anything. Pressed the weather button on the scanner and that works great! Any help, directions, instructions, etc. in a quick manner would be greatly appreciated as I'm on the 30-day free trial of ARC300. haha!

BFD previously used non-MSWIN but there have been a lot of changes in the last month. There has been a system upgrade moving units to phase 2 which requires a newer version of hardware that a lot of older scanners don't currently have installed. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think your model is phase 2 compatible although I fully expect you to double check me on that. I have all phase 2 channels scanning on my Rankin county scanner feed so try listening to the feed then compare what you are expecting to hear on your scanner. That will take some time, but it's much cheaper than buying a new scanner if it's not needed.

Rankin feed:
Rankin County Police and Fire

IAmTheJody

Premium Subscriber
BFD previously used non-MSWIN but there have been a lot of changes in the last month. There has been a system upgrade moving units to phase 2 which requires a newer version of hardware that a lot of older scanners don't currently have installed. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think your model is phase 2 compatible although I fully expect you to double check me on that. I have all phase 2 channels scanning on my Rankin county scanner feed so try listening to the feed then compare what you are expecting to hear on your scanner. That will take some time, but it's much cheaper than buying a new scanner if it's not needed.

Rankin feed:
Rankin County Police and Fire

I'm not looking specifically for Brandon. I just posted in this thread because it's the only Rankin County related thread I could find on the RR forums. Ideally, I'd like to only hear traffic from Pearl as that's where I live. I listen to the Rankin County feed often using the Scanner Radio Pro app on my Android smartphone. I was just hoping to get this Pro-164 scanner running so when I'm at home, I don't have to drain my phone's battery using the Scanner Pro app on there and I could only hear Pearl and not every other agency in Rankin County.

scott

Feed Provider
I understand completely as I constantly keep a ravpower battery pack with me to keep my phone charged. In case you are interested in a phase 2 compatible scanner, the Uniden BCD996P2 is what I use for the feed. I have been a Uniden fan since the 80s cause they make solid equipment, but I'm thinking of the Whistler TRX-2 next time around. Whistler covers NXDN which I'm told Pafford is moving to soon (or already has), and I haven't seen plans for a Uniden NXDN scanner. Systems get upgraded quick in our neck of the woods and Whistler seems to be quicker adapting to new technologies.

IAmTheJody

Premium Subscriber
I understand completely as I constantly keep a ravpower battery pack with me to keep my phone charged. In case you are interested in a phase 2 compatible scanner, the Uniden BCD996P2 is what I use for the feed. I have been a Uniden fan since the 80s cause they make solid equipment, but I'm thinking of the Whistler TRX-2 next time around. Whistler covers NXDN which I'm told Pafford is moving to soon (or already has), and I haven't seen plans for a Uniden NXDN scanner. Systems get upgraded quick in our neck of the woods and Whistler seems to be quicker adapting to new technologies.

Yes, I looked at the TRX-1 and TRX-2 and will probably go with one of those specifically because I read about not only them handling Phase 2 but also ProVoice and NXDN. Also to get the NXDN update for the TRX units, Whistler charges something like another $70. Or maybe that was for the ProVoice update? Or for each update? I don't recall exactly.

BTW, you are the person providing the Rankin County feed, yes? Nice to finally "meet" you and say thank you!

scott

Feed Provider
Yes, I am the feed guy for Jackson, Rankin and the airport. Nice to meet you too and you are very welcome. This hobby is one of the few I still enjoy year after year although it keeps getting more expensive since these new scanners have become mobile computers. At least I have been able to defer some costs using the cheaper Rasberry Pi compared to the Dell Windows server I used to run.

INDY72

Yes, TYVM! I used to live there, and enjoy being able to still hear some of whats goin down in Jacktown. Seems that JFD isn't as busy as they used to be though on the feed.

INDY72

Yes, I looked at the TRX-1 and TRX-2 and will probably go with one of those specifically because I read about not only them handling Phase 2 but also ProVoice and NXDN. Also to get the NXDN update for the TRX units, Whistler charges something like another $70. Or maybe that was for the ProVoice update? Or for each update? I don't recall exactly.

BTW, you are the person providing the Rankin County feed, yes? Nice to finally "meet" you and say thank you!

Whistler does NOT charge at all! Uniden does. 60 for DMR, 50 for PV. But in MS, there are only like 4 EDACS TRS still in use, and 2 of them use PV. All of them are going bye bye over the next 3 years.
MSDOC going MSWIN as soon as the Parchmann site is built and online. Airport upgrading to Harris P25IP from what I hear, same with the Harrison County. The other one is converting to MSWIN I believe.

scott

Feed Provider
Y'all are very welcome, and I'm glad to be of service. That's some good information about upcoming changes milf so I'll have to update feeds when changes go live. I don't usually find out about changes until they are live, and usually I notice a spike in feed numbers which I can only assume is people listening to the feed cause their personal scanners are missing audio.

INDY72

Y'all are very welcome, and I'm glad to be of service. That's some good information about upcoming changes milf so I'll have to update feeds when changes go live. I don't usually find out about changes until they are live, and usually I notice a spike in feed numbers which I can only assume is people listening to the feed cause their personal scanners are missing audio.

Update for Jackson/Hinds... The new Hinds County MSWIN Simulcast is live. Site 2-56. Conversion of the Hinds 800 MHz TRS to P25. Unitrunker confirms JPD and Clinton using it. Will add more freqs as they convert them off the Motorola. TY Riccom for the info!

As for spikes in listeners... Most of the time that is due to events such as bad weather, or something (interesting) happens...

Last edited by a moderator:

scott

Feed Provider
Anyone hear Jackson Fire I haven't heard anything out of them all day I hear JPD just fine but JFD has been silent

They have already moved to phase 2 which is probably why you are not hearing them. I have them broadcasting on the Jackson feed so you can listen to this link and compare it to your scanner. I added a key up tone to JFD to distinguish them from all other traffic.

Jackson Police and Fire

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
scott do you have the new mswin set up on the radio as of yet i have to send a update to the lcn for the hinds county setup

Status
Not open for further replies.