• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Breaking encryptioni

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanmanmi

I know nothing of how encryption is done. I know there is a key (128 bit?). If a system has a single non-changing key why can't it be broken? Wouldn't you just try a number, wait for a transmission, change it if didn't work? If you had a key is there any scanner that could use it somehow

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Here's the number of keys you will need to try:

115,792,089,237,316,195,423,570,985,008,687,907,853,269,984,665,640,564,039,457,584,007,913,129,639,936

Happy hunting :)

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
I know nothing of how encryption is done. I know there is a key (128 bit?). If a system has a single non-changing key why can't it be broken? Wouldn't you just try a number, wait for a transmission, change it if didn't work? If you had a key is there any scanner that could use it somehow

You missed your chance. April Fools day was yesterday:)

krokus

Premium Subscriber
For some timelines, check how long cracking a 72 bit key has taken.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed.net

Sent using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
They started that challenge long before Bitcoin was invented.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley

This has been hashed pretty well, but I'll add my $0.02 anyway. Back in the old days of analog inversion encryption (still used on some CCR's), you could step through the various encryption iterations. As you got closer to actual decryption, the voice would get more intelligible until it was completely in the clear.

There were even some aftermarket products designed for the "hobby" market to decode analog inversion encryption. These worked because there weren't that many possible key combinations.

Digital encryption changed everything because of the massive number of non-related possible keys. In your example, could a static 128 bit key be broken? Yes, given enough computing power and time. Sometimes there are back doors and mathematical shortcuts. The folks at Fort Meade would know far more about this than I, but for the average user, consider digital encryption to be unbreakable.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
This has been hashed pretty well, but I'll add my $0.02 anyway. Back in the old days of analog inversion encryption (still used on some CCR's), you could step through the various encryption iterations. As you got closer to actual decryption, the voice would get more intelligible until it was completely in the clear.

Well-designed encryption algorithms aren't like that. If you guess even one key bit wrong, the output is mathematically indistinguishable from random static, the same as any other wrong guess. That's what makes encryption unbreakable, at least with any known practical analysis methods. AES has some theoretical attacks, but some of them require more storage space than currently exists on earth, so they aren't very practical.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Voice inversion isn't really encryption. It is essentially the same as tuning to the wrong sideband in SSB. Recovering the audio is fairly trivial.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Voice inversion isn't really encryption. It is essentially the same as tuning to the wrong sideband in SSB. Recovering the audio is fairly trivial.

Voice Inversion is not considered encryption. It is legal to use.

But, since the purpose of voice inversion is to render the content of the transmission unintelligible in order to prevent unauthorized monitoring, I suspect the law may look at it differently.

I don't think it's ever been tested in a court case, but I wouldn't think it worthwhile to be that test case. . . . .

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
There is a legal definition of encryption. Typical voice inversion does not meet the legal definition. We have had this discussion with a government agency, before (not in court, but not far short of it).

jasonhouk

Want to break encryption? All you have to have is access to WindsorGreen. Ole and to get that you'd probably need to be working for the NSA.

Houk

Status
Not open for further replies.