April 1, 2008

International Press, Washington, DC.

Today, in an unprecedented move, the Federal Communications Commission
issued an emergency reinstatement of Morse code requirements for all amateur
and commercial radio licenses. In addition, the amateur radio license
structure has been reverted to 1985 standards. All codeless amateur and
commercial licenses have been placed on a "conditional 30 day temporary
permit" and all such license holders will have to pass an appropriate Morse
code test by May 1, 2008 or face permanent revocation of their licenses.

All American registered commercial vessels are now required to have a
crewman onboard that can copy Morse code at 13 WPM or they will be denied
port clearance. A temporary provision has been made in the FCC regulations
that will allow amateur radio operators that completed FCC administered
Morse code tests prior to the implementation of the VEC program to meet this
requirement. This generated such a demand for licensed amateur radio
operators that the pay scale quickly escalated to $1000 per day for such
services. In a bidding war, many major shipping companies have provided
generous expense accounts, luxury accommodations on vessels, sponsorship of
DX-peditions and immediate long term pension benefits.

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
On the 1st of April no less. You would think they would pick a better time to release this information...not on day that is already flooded with pranks and false information.

Oh wait...I see you what you did there!! :roll:

pogbobo

you know what a better one would have been ... NJay is back!! j/k rofllmoawtfomg ... but seriously, I miss those days *sigh*

:cool:

seriously, i do

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Y'all are just lucky I don't run RR or today you would all have been greeted by an index page stating that I had won the lottery and decided to move to an island in the Carribbean and would be closing RR forever with NO REFUNDS ISSUED... muwahahaha.. now THAT would have been an April Fools like no other... :D

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
AZScanner said:
Y'all are just lucky I don't run RR or today you would all have been greeted by an index page stating that I had won the lottery and decided to move to an island in the Carribbean and would be closing RR forever with NO REFUNDS ISSUED... muwahahaha.. now THAT would have been an April Fools like no other... :D

I'm on another forum where the owner did this exact thing for April Fools. You can not imagine the uproar that caused. :eek: :D

elk2370bruce

If you posted this on the ZED, even the dead would rise from their graves and hundreds of frantic, vitriolic, panic-driven messages would result. The chaos would be hysterical.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Gee why not just tell us some company has designed the latest HD TV using vacuum tubes? I guess that is not as believable as telling us the government is doing something STUPID.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
this is not funny. I'm having a bad afternoon and this shuttered my nerves all over again!!!! I thought damn i might as well give up on ham radio as morse code is too damn hard with my disability.

Eric Burris

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
IT'S THE BIG ONE, I'M COMING ELIZABETH! OOOOHHHH!!!
Aw cummon pop, not again.
Shut up dummy!

Cool your jets Eric, now go over to QRZ and laugh at the idiots in Possum Wars.

I too have a disability and after a couple of years trying to learn the code I was SO relieved the FCC finally dropped the unnecessary requirement the ITU dropped a decade before. Still I get a laugh out of the elitists and crusty old farts who can't get it through their thick skulls it was no longer needed since the last CW only commercial station left the bands and it became an option. That option has taken off like wildfire since it's no longer rammed down our throats and new hams are taking pride in their accomplishment.

BTW fellers, that was such a bomb of a joke, way too obvious and repeated too many times. If you want to goof on the noobs and CBers in particular try a coax stretcher, antenna grease or trimming off those excess SWRs at the tip of the antenna. About the best one yet was in QST a few years ago, a super wide, perfectly matched all band mobile antenna construction project. It was made from copper tubing and a mysterious MFJ part, only the cat number was given. I looked it up and it turned out to be a dummy load. (;->)

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
kb2vxa said:
IT'S THE BIG ONE, I'M COMING ELIZABETH! OOOOHHHH!!!
Aw cummon pop, not again.
Shut up dummy!

Cool your jets Eric, now go over to QRZ and laugh at the idiots in Possum Wars.

I too have a disability and after a couple of years trying to learn the code I was SO relieved the FCC finally dropped the unnecessary requirement the ITU dropped a decade before. Still I get a laugh out of the elitists and crusty old farts who can't get it through their thick skulls it was no longer needed since the last CW only commercial station left the bands and it became an option. That option has taken off like wildfire since it's no longer rammed down our throats and new hams are taking pride in their accomplishment.

BTW fellers, that was such a bomb of a joke, way too obvious and repeated too many times. If you want to goof on the noobs and CBers in particular try a coax stretcher, antenna grease or trimming off those excess SWRs at the tip of the antenna. About the best one yet was in QST a few years ago, a super wide, perfectly matched all band mobile antenna construction project. It was made from copper tubing and a mysterious MFJ part, only the cat number was given. I looked it up and it turned out to be a dummy load. (;->)
Your example sounds like when we'd have probies call the auto parts store for muffler bearings, diesel spark plugs or brake fluid (trucks with air only brakes).

:)

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"Lamont is French for BIG MISTAKE".

You mean tromper gros.

"Your example sounds like when we'd have probies call the auto parts store for muffler bearings, diesel spark plugs or brake fluid (trucks with air only brakes)."

Eh, don't you mean headlight fluid? I've got an .mp3 around here someplace where a couple of morning drive time DJs pretended to be the repair shop calling a woman about her car. It is one of the most hilarious prank calls I have ever heard, ranks right up there with the personal vibrator recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.