bringing my 2m/70cm radio cross border

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE3JSO

hi i am wondering what things i need other then a copy of my license so i can bring my 2m/70cm radio and my arrl repeater directory when i go to the u.s so i don't get bothered by the border guards on both canada and u.s sides ( i know most will not care)
jamie

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I've crossed the border into Canada and back several times and have never been bothered by anything other than the question "what are all the antennas for". When I answer "ham radio, my geeky hobby", I get a smile, and a wave on through.

That's what I get going both ways. Same with crossing the border into Mexico and back. I must just have an honest face.

I think a copy of your ham license, and knowledge of the legalities involved will be sufficient.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I just bring a copy of my licence. Only been hassled once when the officer didn't understand why I needed a gang charger like the one they had. A bunch of us were headed to the Hamvention and it made more sense to bring one large charger than several smaller ones. The officer at the Secondary Inspection asked if we were hams and if he'd find a vehicle with a bunch of antennas on it in the parking lot. We said yes and he processed us through ahead of all the other people in line.

cabletech

I have crossed the border several times a year for the last 20 yrs and I have only been asked twice about my antennas and equipment.

Most of the time, they want to know where I am going and for how long and if I have any wepons.

I also cross with a travel trailor and I have never been searched, and that is going both ways.

I also have some VE friends that cross several times a year and they have never had a problem.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I drove from Calgary AB to Kalispell MT and back late last year with a HomePatrol on the dash and a ham HT in the cupholder and didn't get a second glance in either direction. A colleague going to the same conference (coming from another origin point) had to surrender his flash drive and itinerary as proof of what he was up to, and he had no radios that I know of. So, YMMV.

elk2370bruce

There is reciprocal licensing between our two nations. A copy of your license is all yoyu need. As I'm sure you know, operating south of the border (for you) involves the use of the US band plan. Enjoy your trio.

k6cpo

When I traveled to Vancouver to catch a cruise, I first e-mailed Industry Canada to find out what I needed to do to operate in Vancouver. They said all I needed was a copy of my license and I had to identify with my US call sign/VA7 since I was going to be in British Columbia.

It works both ways...

Status
Not open for further replies.