Brockville Police is silent? New system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radio1984

Seems in the past couple weeks Bell (bought out glentel) has been working on a new radio system for the Brockville Police. Anyone have any idea what there using now? I heard them yesterday during the day working on the radios until evening and all of a sudden it's now silent.

Jammin_Jay

Last time I was up that way in the 1000 islands Brockville was 142.935 (pl141.3) analog.
They most likely applied for a new frequency which won't be listed in tafl because it's protected.Perhaps someone can do a close call
They were having problems with their radios,especially the portables not reaching the repeater.

There was an allotment of money set aside for new radios for this budget year. I would have to guess they are on another frequency and have gone digital.

Last edited by a moderator:

LordJ

Looks like today is silent...Guess it's time to do some sleuthing... :) I'll check tafl anyway for BMR entries and check that, and put the radios on CC and search for any new Control Channels

Last edited:

Radio1984

Ya, I've had mine on cc without nothing, not a peep. Heard them all day yesterday running test with the radios and then by evening totally silent since.

Jammin_Jay

If brockville police switched frequencies and Changed over to DMR. Close call wont detect the short time slot cycle burst. If you have a digital scanner (DMR), you will need the time slot 1 or 2, the color code, and the talkgroup, and if its encrypted , your out of luck.
The new radios likely were digital/analog, the old analog frequency was still in use until all the vehicles were retrofited with the new radios while they were still on patrol, so they could still communicate new with old.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
The only time Close Call will detect DMR is if you're picking up the repeater, since repeaters always transmit both timeslots, so it isn't a "pulsing" signal like a SU is.

gary123

A SDR will show the signals. I use one as a poormans spectrum analyzer all the time.

They are not on fleetnet.

DaveH

They probably have not changed bands, but quick visual of antennas on police vehicles could help.
TAFL is unlikely to show anything.

As mentioned, CC on DMR mobiles won't work (if it's DMR at all) but worth checking in case it's something else (like NXDN). If you can get close enough to the transmitting site (assuming you know where it is) CC could help.

If it's DMR conventional, or Cap+, there is no control channel. Cap+ "rest" channel would pulse every couple of seconds.

BTW I get NXDN 4.8k on 142.935 when conditions are right but in my case appears to be from near Lachute Quebec, not Brockville.

Cheap SDR dongle could help, but need to search in 2-3MHz sections, plus you'd find other carriers and eliminate them; start with 138-144 MHz.

Dave

LordJ

I haven't messed with SDR yet... may be time...
I have uniden 996xt and a radio with a discriminator tap at my disposal as well as a 396xt. I have been trying from home so far, within 5 kms of station. I'll keep a lookout for antenna change and post a pic if I can.
I have been using the CC and Band scope to try to hunt down some signs. Nothing yet. Big weekend coming up, should be more traffic so that might help. May hang out near the downtown for a bit...
Will start putting $ aside for an sds100 just in case.....

Jammin_Jay

The transmitter site is behind the police station next to hwy 401. It is a tall tower extending beyond the barrier height of hwy 401.

I agree with dave SDR is the way to go, Search 138 to 141. Then 141 to 144.
The input frequency is likely in 138 area, and ouput somwhere 141 to 144
See if you get a spectrum peak at a certain frequency. Then we can go from there
Determine if its NXDN or DMR, P25, Its most likely to be encrypted,

I think you would have to attain at least a sensitivity of 15db from the tower

Would it be possible they joined fleetnet? P25
I have my doubts, as the closest tower is Prescott.
But it doesnt hurt to check the prescott tower control channel for any possible TG affiliation.

Radio1984

I took a picture of their antenna on their police boat if this helps any.

Attachments

• 20180628_201117.jpg
    20180628_201117.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 616

Radio1984

Going to check out NXDN I see they have a upgrade for my scanner so I'll keep everyone posted if it's not encrypted. I see they do have a frequency on the tafl of 23025.0000 BROCKVILLE (2269 PARKEDALE AVE.) ON CITY OF BROCKVILLE that's the address of the Brockville police station.

gary123

Those antennas are very popular with both OnQue and fleetconnect. I would check both systems locally.

Onque tends to be in the 410-415 area and fleetconnect in the 420-425 area.

phyberoptics

Premium Subscriber
Ask an officer!

Officers in my town are very approachable, and they don't mind talking about their gear! Ask about the equipment they carry, talk about the radio. As to see inside the car!

DaveH

Going to check out NXDN I see they have a upgrade for my scanner so I'll keep everyone posted if it's not encrypted. I see they do have a frequency on the tafl of 23025.0000 BROCKVILLE (2269 PARKEDALE AVE.) ON CITY OF BROCKVILLE that's the address of the Brockville police station.

That 23025MHz (23.025GHz) frequency is not land mobile, it's a microwave link, and way above your scanner's upper limit.

The antenna looks like base-loaded UHF, common as noted on OnQue (UHF, NXDN); frequency in Brockville is 422.875 (which I hear sometimes). There are likely other users on that frequency.

But it could be UHF DMR...or even P25.

Turris DMR would be 422.2875 and 422.4375; still, it would be unusual for police to start using a commercial system like this.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=31951

Dave

VA3DBJ

Ontario Database Admin
Database Admin
Maybe check the frequencies they had used in the past. Like a few services, they may have kept the licenses active, for possible future use, unless FleetNet took over the frequencies.

Previously used: 141. 995, 142.920, 155.450.

Unless, they are call sharing, with another local service, using their channel.

Just a couple of thoughts.

SCPD

QRT
Your answer to Brockville police ENC.

FYI
From a friend

Yes, the days of listening to the Brockville Police Service on a scanner are now over. Encryption is something we have been working towards for quite some time. We have just migrated this week to a new encrypted system.

SCPD

QRT
Also heard techncians

Further to my first message I heard technicians yesterday late afternoon one stated he had up loaded 6Gb of data and downloaded just under 1Gb of data the other technician said Ok that was it no more conversations from the two.
As for my information from the first post I didn't ask for any frequencies etc. as I knew I wouldn't get any. That being said they are ENC. so other than mapping the system that is about all that could be done.
Names etc. removed.
Good afternoon *******
Long time no hear I am now ************************** for the Brockville Police Service and surrounding area. I look after all of the technology here. Yes, the days of listening to the Brockville Police Service on a scanner are now over. Encryption is something we have been working towards for quite some time. We have just migrated this week to a new encrypted system.
Stay in touch!
How is retirement time to work on all those radio projects
Enjoy your long weekend.
2018-06-29

Status
Not open for further replies.