SDS100/SDS200: Broken battery door clip due to large battery tightness

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Over a week ago I ordered some backup batteries and today I got my replacement door and battery boy it is tight. I wonder why there is 2 layer foam pads? vs 1 foam pad>

Hans13

I wonder why there is 2 layer foam pads? vs 1 foam pad>

This post from page 3 might help.

Then we have the foam pads. They are responsible for keeping the battery pack in contact with the contacts inside the compartment. People are already talking about reducing the foam's thickness to give less stress on the latch mechanism. Most probably know that foam compresses over time and eventually people will have loose batteries resulting in their SDS100's powering off.
I did a test just now by reducing the foams thickness by half. It did help some with the force needed to latch the cover shut but not really a lot.

The big finding, after reducing the thickness of the foam, I was able to rap on the rear of the battery case kind of hard with just my knuckles (nothing near like smacking it with a hammer)! When I did this, my SDS shut off as the foam obviously compressed enough for the battery to lose connection with the spring loaded contacts inside the compartment.
I replaced the foam back to its original thickness and harder raps with my knuckles to the back of the battery door did not cause my SDS to shutdown and longer. If you can picture the battery sandwiched between foam and the electrical contacts inside the compartment, you will see the foam is acting like a spring and keeping positive pressure between the battery and the radios contact pins. When this spring (foam) compresses from a thump, the spring will compress enough and cause the radio to lose power for a few milliseconds. It's enough time for it to shutdown the radio. Hopefully there are no card writes going on if this happens otherwise users may start seeing SD card corruption.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I was thinking if the pad was getting smashed some it would be easier for the door. And wasn't too sure if remove some of the pad would make battery loose. I'll keep the foam pad way it is for now.

Synchro39

Premium Subscriber
for my part i removed completely the bottom foam and no more problem it's easier to close and battery is not moving inside so far so good

AvidHiker

Eh, it's soft foam. Unless you have incredibly weak hands, I can't see how reducing the foam's thickness will help with the clip problem, assuming you're squeezing the door shut while latching it. It will, however, result in a much less reliable electrical connection with the battery. Give it a few bumps and see what happens. ;)

gillham

Feed Provider
Eh, it's soft foam. Unless you have incredibly weak hands, I can't see how reducing the foam's thickness will help with the clip problem, assuming you're squeezing the door shut while latching it. It will, however, result in a much less reliable electrical connection with the battery. Give it a few bumps and see what happens. ;)

I’ve been doing like you said - apply firm pressure to the battery door while closing everything up, to avoid stress on the latching mechanism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KCoax

Premium Subscriber
Add another to the list. Had the scanner plugged in charging in a cup holder for a few hours. Unplugged the scanner and set it in a sturdy bag. 30 minutes later pulled out of bag and the the clip fell off from a crack at the middle crease. I don't remember anytime the scanner was dropped or knocked over with any force for that would damage the clip. Used a small piece of duct tape and some super glue to put it back together. A preventive measure might be to add a couple drops of super glue at that crease in the clip.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Add another to the list. Had the scanner plugged in charging in a cup holder for a few hours. Unplugged the scanner and set it in a sturdy bag. 30 minutes later pulled out of bag and the the clip fell off from a crack at the middle crease. I don't remember anytime the scanner was dropped or knocked over with any force for that would damage the clip. Used a small piece of duct tape and some super glue to put it back together. A preventive measure might be to add a couple drops of super glue at that crease in the clip.

Thanks for this suggestion. I used an Exacto razor knife to cut a small strip of black electrical tape and used Gorilla super glue to barely line the edge of the break, held it with firm pressure until it took hold, then carefully wrapped it with the tape. The fix is not even noticeable to the naked eye and seems to be holding quite well. I doubt it will hold up after switching back and forth with the small battery as backup, so I will probably recharge instead of swapping batteries from now on. We'll see how it goes.

JD
kf4anc

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
I think I’m going with superglue black tape. Going to have to wait to the new SDS200 comes in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006walt

Premium Subscriber
Any chance someone could make a YouTube showing best practices to safely install and remove the large battery without breaking the latch? This would greatly help us newbees to the SDS100. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.