SDS100/SDS200: Broken battery door clip due to large battery tightness

Status
Not open for further replies.

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
I just talked to Uniden support and since I did put a not in the return box that I received a broken clip on Monday they may speed things up, but no guarantee that this would happen.

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
The estimated time for any repair is 2-4 weeks and that is generally set in stone. Due to the circumstances here, I certainly understand that does not seem fair, and have given all case materials to the repair department manager in hopes that something can be done about it, but it is ultimately their decision.

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
The estimated time for any repair is 2-4 weeks and that is generally set in stone. Due to the circumstances here, I certainly understand that does not seem fair, and have given all case materials to the repair department manager in hopes that something can be done about it, but it is ultimately their decision.

Thanks for all your help I appreciate it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Plastic is not the answer I agree

Exactly. Why even continue on with a part that continually breaks? In the future SDS100 owners, like BC780XLT owners in the past (fragile knobs), will constantly be searching around trying to find replacement plastic parts that break regularly. The clip was poor mechanical engineering, so correct the mistake. Mistakes happen, but continuing those mistakes when they could be easily corrected is illogical. This shouldn't be a major financial loss, it's a clip. Making this right shouldn't be too much more painful for Uniden than creating and shipping at no cost the "noise mitigation" part.

I want to add that as someone who ponied up the extra dollars for a spare battery and charger, this is highly irritating. People like myself, who swap out batteries every morning, will suffer the most, putting a damper on an otherwise very cool feature (being able to swap out battery packs). Every time I snap in my fresh battery pack now, I will be waiting to hear the inevitable "snap", at which point I can zip tie my $650 scanner back together, or send it off for several weeks for a repair.

Last edited:

K5mow

Exactly. Why even continue on with a part that continually breaks? In the future SDS100 owners, like BC780XLT owners in the past (fragile knobs), will constantly be searching around trying to find replacement plastic parts that break regularly. The clip was poor mechanical engineering, so correct the mistake. Mistakes happen, but continuing those mistakes when they could be easily corrected is illogical. This shouldn't be a major financial loss, it's a clip. Making this right shouldn't be too much more painful for Uniden than creating and shipping at no cost the "noise mitigation" part.

I want to add that as someone who ponied up the extra dollars for a spare battery and charger, this is highly irritating. People like myself, who swap out batteries every morning, will suffer the most, putting a damper on an otherwise very cool feature (being able to swap out battery packs). Every time I snap in my fresh battery pack now, I will be waiting to hear the inevitable "snap", at which point I can zip tie my $650 scanner back together, or send it off for several weeks for a repair.

It was my understanding from a prior post above that the broken door is extremely rare. I believe that Uniden Support said that there was only a very small fraction of the doors that have broken compared to how many sold. Don’t get me wrong I know this would not make the people that do have broken doors feel any better. But if that statement is true it’s probably not likely that same person gets another week or defective door. Please let me know if I am incorrect in this statement. Because I myself like to swap out batteries and been a little hesitant on doing so because of this thread.

Roger

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
It was my understanding from a prior post above that the broken door is extremely rare. I believe that Uniden Support said that there was only a very small fraction of the doors that have broken compared to how many sold. Don’t get me wrong I know this would not make the people that do have broken doors feel any better. But if that statement is true it’s probably not likely that same person gets another week or defective door. Please let me know if I am incorrect in this statement. Because I myself like to swap out batteries and been a little hesitant on doing so because of this thread.

Roger

I sure hope it is an uncommon thing. But the model is only a year old. If they are starting to break now, that's a bad sign for the long-term future. I think that a piece of plastic being placed under greatly increased tension over and over seems somewhat destined to break, just thinking about it. Again, I may be wrong and sure hope to be. I have to admit that I'm going to limit battery swapping until this shakes out a bit more.

brettbolt

Exactly. Why even continue on with a part that continually breaks? ....
I agree.

If not a new, stronger clip then another option is to slightly reduce the size of the battery.

EDIT: Actually it might require sanding the clip or the door so there is less tension.

Last edited:

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I do believe it's important to push the battery door down fully, and with some force, before engaging the clip. If the clip is used at all to pull the door against the body of the scanner, failure of the clip seems far more likely. Every time I've put the door back on I make sure to firmly seat it before engaging the clip for this very reason. It's easy to see why a relatively thin plastic clip placed under sudden strain on a repeated basis would be likely to crack sooner or later.

rcool101

Feed Provider
Had mine fixed with a new clip. This clip is tighter than the original clip. I put pressure every time I opened the original and it still broke. This one won't last. Might take some foam off the door to lessen it some since it's out of warranty now.

weathermedic

Premium Subscriber
Probably needs to be tight when closing to ensure the water resistance of the radio.

rcool101

Feed Provider
Went to turn 100 on today and the battery fell out...Looked at the clip and it's broke. Not even a week back......Yea we know it needs to be tight...Maybe it's too tight. Ya think? I was going to cut some foam out but never got the chance

Status
Not open for further replies.