Brunswick Co. to upgrade their emergency radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.

central_il

Premium Subscriber
Brunswick Co. to upgrade their emergency radio system - WECT TV6 - WECT.com - Wilmington, NC news and weather -

BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WECT) – Commissioners in Brunswick County voted Tuesday in favor of spending about $2 million to upgrade their emergency radio system.

Emergency responders say they can't trust the county's system and it's putting them in danger.

Soon, they'll switch to the "viper" system which is run by the state. They will also make improvements to Bolivia's radio tower, which has been the source of many complaints.

The current system is about six-years-old and also costs millions of dollars.

Read nice article on Wednesday Wilmington Star print paper on 1/19/2011. For more information, please "Google" said title above. I have zero knowledge & input on current system. Wait let me check... LTR. Enough said. Wonder why they raised property tax so much in the county...

central_il

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to 52to12

Thanks again to 5212:

County considers radio system overhaul | BrunswickBeacon.com

County considers radio system overhaul

BOLIVIA—Commissioners have given Brunswick County Emergency Services Director Anthony Marzano the green light to move forward with a plan to overhaul the county’s radio system.

Marzano has come under fire and received pressure to overhaul the system from local fire officials to change the county’s SmartLink radio system and what many people consider its impediments.

Marzano convened a committee, made up of stakeholders, emergency services staff and county commissioner Marty Cooke, to research the county’s options in revamping or getting rid of entirely the county’s radio system.

Marzano said the sheriff’s office has the greatest need for the radio switch.
“They are between two-thirds and almost 75 percent of the radio traffic on the radio system,” he said.

“It’s getting critical out there,” Brunswick County Sheriff John Ingram said.

“Just let me put it in simple terms: What we have currently works very poorly at its best. We have people’s lives at stake.”

Marzano presented county commissioners with five options at a workshop Tuesday afternoon.

Options include to “De-SmartLink” and switch to LTR trunking system or to “De-SmartLink” and switch to conventional repeaters—neither of which meet the county’s exhaustive communications needs, Marzano said.

Other options include building a radio system from scratch or moving onto existing radio systems in Horry County, S.C., New Hanover County or the state’s radio system.

While the best-case scenario would be to build a new radio system from scratch, the projected $10 million-$12 million price tag and 24- to 30-month timeframe makes building a new radio system almost impossible.

Whatever option commissioners approve, Marzano said the system must include the following basic requirements to meet Brunswick County public safety users’ needs:

high-performance technology with a proven success in public safety applications; multiple layers of redundancy; true countywide coverage “from Calabash to Leland to Southport;” interoperability across the entire spectrum of county radio users and to be federally compliant or upgradeable to APCO Project 25 compliant.

VIPER

All things considered, Marzano told commissioner the best option to switch over the radio system would be to join the state’s Voice Interoperability Plan for Emergency Responders (VIPER) radio system.

“I feel, my staff feels and the feelings of the communications recommendations workshop committee is that this is the best option for us in terms of our short-term needs and our long-term needs.”

Switching to the VIPER system is “the only option that meets our needs in a cost-effective away. The best solution is to build our own radio system. It is going to cost us three times what it would cost us to go to VIPER.”

Unlike the current system, which doesn’t boast the public safety resume, Marzano said VIPER is a “public-safety grade, high-performance system.”

VIPER is owned and operated by the North Carolina State Highway Patrol, which is required by statute to maintain and operate a state radio system.

“We can use the system right now. Our ambulances have been using the system because the state has moved ambulance-to-hospital communications to VIPER,” Marzano said.

If Brunswick County were to move to VIPER, “we can tap into existing infrastructure.”

But the State Highway Patrol-run VIPER system is not without its concerns, Marzano said.

To tap onto the state system would include higher-end user equipment costs, loss of local control over the radio system and limited equipment manufactures.

“Recent legislation that passed in Raleigh changed language in the law to allow in some future point charging user fees,” Marzano said.

While there is currently no user fine, Marzano warns that could happen in the future.

Within Brunswick County, there are two areas of “somewhat limited coverage:” Ash and the St. James, Boiling Spring Lakes, Southport area, Marzano said.

In these areas, “every now and then you have a little signal degradation,” he said.

The cost to switch over from the current system to the VIPER system would be about $3 million—the lion’s share of the cost being $1.3 million for the Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office and Brunswick County Emergency Services.

Marzano said the emergency services department has received grants, but not yet received the funding for the grants, for several communications projects, which he said could offset the cost.

In addition to the $1.3 million for the sheriff’s office and emergency services, it would cost another $150,00 to add system channel capacity, $540,000 for municipal law enforcement agencies, $85,000 for rescue squads, $900,000 for fire departments and $75,000 for Bald Head Island Public Safety Agency.

“I have not addressed Oak Island because they have their own dispatch center and radio system,” Marzano said.

“Hypothetically, if you said ‘go’ today, and I was given $1.3 million, I am fairly confident that by June 1, emergency services and sheriff’s [office] could be switched over. It’s simply ordering radios, programming radios, performing training and getting things switched over.”
While Marzano said commissioners could ask municipalities to pay a portion of the cost, “fire departments and rescue squads simply aren’t going to have the money to do it if we don’t step forward.”

Funding and approval

Ingram said the sheriff’s office has additional revenues of $175,000 from housing federal inmates at the Brunswick County Detention Center, which he would appropriate toward switching the radios system over to VIPER.

Marzano said emergency services has about $350,000 “that more than covers what is required for my department,” but doesn’t cover other fire and rescue departments.

Brunswick County Finance Director Ann Hardy said funding of about $1.9 million has been located to potentially fund the changeover.

“What we’re trying to do is stay out of fund balance,” county manager Marty Lawing said, adding some of the funding proposed would temporarily derail other county projects.

Commissioners gave Marzano the go-ahead to move toward converting the radio system.

kf4yag

Premium Subscriber
Maybe?

maybe they should ask for ALL the money back from R T and Smarklink, since the current 6 year young system has never worked properly or as promised. But, wait, holding a government official responsible, why that would be an unheard of presidence...

6+ million could go along why with viper though.

52to12

Brunswick Co. will switch to N.C. VIPER. See Brunswick Beacon article on RR forum- Comunity News.
1 year + delay doesn't resolve fire departments problems.
"It's Deja VU all ove again"-Yogi Berra

drew6553

I wonder how much the commisioners and higher up emergency management personnel were given to help put that crappy crappy LTR system in place. Working with that system scared the living ***'*e out of me. They always blamed it on the responders but I honestly didnt trust those radios as far as I could throw them.
The only thing i have to worry about now is trying to listen to it when i am down there.

yardbird

I am glad to see they are finally getting a system that is compatable with the other Motorola Systems that are around them.

Check out the great article that was posted on FireNews.net. It was very informative.

Now we need to get Marshall or Greg to find out and post what the new talkgroup id's will be.

That way we will be able to finally start listening to what we have been missing over the years from the old system.

Just my thoughts

David

Last edited:

drew6553

the funniest thing about the deplorable smartlink system is the old sheriff who was a friend of my grandmother was going around telling people that is was untraceable and encrypted. i had my pro 97 with the new system already keyed in. went to that system and what do you know i heard his officer's doing what they needed to. my grandmother went to him and informed him that he needed to get his story straight.

I am surprised the LTR/Smartlink system lasted 6 years. I don't know who sold it to them or who installed all of it, but from what I have heard over the system never impressed me.

kf4yag

Premium Subscriber
LTR Pea Landing Site

Has any body taken the time to figure out the LCN orders for the Pea Landing Site.

please reply with them if so.

Its just hard to figure them out when your at HB.

Thanks

52to12

Here is the LCN order for PeaLanding (Calabash).
ch 1- 460.0625 ch 1- 159.3300
ch 3- 460.2500 ch 3- 154.8825
ch-5- 460.4125 ch 20-159.2550
ch-20-460.3625

I programed the frequencies yesterday.All seem to be correct.
I've been monitoring Sunset Beach without any problems since before PeaLanding was built.Saw no
reason to switch.I'll keep monitoring PeaLanding just to make sure everything is correct.

kf4yag

Premium Subscriber
Got, thanks. I will submit it to be added to the database.

hntsgt

Quick question regarding Brunswick Co. In the database there are talkgroups on the LTR system for the Sheriff Office & then Police Dispatch 1 & 2. With propagation getting better I have been able to pick up transmissions at night and have been trying to figure out who is who. Also, which talkgroups are simulcasted on the UHF freqs? Thanks.

52to12

There is a list of PD and FD dept's.on the Brunswick Co.wiki page.
Oak Island PD, FD an Caswell Beach PD are not on the BC trunked system. They are on the Oak Island coventional system.
The Brunswick Co.Sheriff is on the BC trunked system and will be moving to the NC VIPER system shortly.Pea Landing towers off US 17 at MM#4 would be the closet to South Carolina.

SCPD

QRT
Funny how they go out and spend millions for a new radio system and it has to be replaced about the time they get it paid for. Many agencies around here are still doing fine with their conventional systems that have been in place for 20 or more years. A few upgrades here and there and replacing equipment as it ages but no ripping it all out and starting over every 5 or 6 years. Motorola, et al are getting a lot like Micro$oft with their built in obsolescence.

SCPD

QRT
I actually saw a single site four channel trunked system with 3 talk groups. Now explain to me how that's better than a 3 channel conventional system.

ts548

I actually saw a single site four channel trunked system with 3 talk groups. Now explain to me how that's better than a 3 channel conventional system.

Only need one frequency pair compared to 3 pairs for starters. I'm going to assume wherever this is probably didn't need more then 3 TG but has the ability to add more if need be. That way you can add capacity without having to add pairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.