Brush Fire - Camp Bullis

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkn50

Long Time Member
Premium Subscriber
There is a 100+ acre wildfire raging near Camp Bullis. Multiple agencies on the scene. The fire has jumped Ralph Fair Rd and is now in the subdivision with homes at risk at 17:20 CDT.

Last edited:

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
San Antonio has 40 units on scene and is using the SA EDACS system:

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=1434

SA Command is working on SA Fire TAC-11 (actually patch #5 which is TAC-5 and TAC-11)
SA Units are working on SA Fire TAC-23 (actually patch #4 which is TAC-23 and tg 1873)

BCFA is working on all their channels on the SA EDACS system. Patches to conventional are on 154.250 and 153.770

Bullis Fire Department is on the SA Military Smartzone System:

San Antonio Military SmartZone Trunking System, San Antonio, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

kkn50

Long Time Member
Premium Subscriber
Logged:

Bexar County Fire Alarm on the SA EDACS
Army Fire on talkgroup 16816 of the SA Military Net
123.0250 - Media helos
135.6750 - Air to Air, planes dropping fire control chemicals (very active)
151.2125 - Forestry aircraft with fire report
151.3850 - Forestry aircraft
154.2800 - Multiple agencies

kkn50

Long Time Member
Premium Subscriber
135.675 is definitely in use at Camp Bullis. It is also listed in the TFR as contact frequency.

There was quite a bit of video of the air attack aircraft on KSAT 12 until they dropped the live feed.

FYI.. I believe that 135.675 is Air Attack control for the Bastrop fire. No firefighting aircraft are on scene yet on the Bullis fire (I believe).

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
The Blackhawks have been using their UHF ops freq 326.450 for air-to-air comms.

The SA EOC finally patched TX FIRE-1 (154.280) to a talkgroup on the SA EDACS system (TG 1873)

I heard Chief Hood (San Antonio Fire Chief) call in to WOAI regarding the fire, and he actually said "we're all on the same communications and frequencies which is helping."

The reality was far different. SAFD, Bexar County Fire Alarm, Camp Bullis Fire Department, and the air assets from the state/fed level were ALL on separate communications systems for most of the incident. You could tell by listening to all three agencies that they were barely talking with each other. San Antonio finally patched TX FIRE-1 and BCFA together. But, it was pretty chaotic out there when the fire was making it's run. Lots of assets all running around putting out the fire, but no one was really in charge. And the Bullis Fire folks were really out of the loop.

Hopefully the new overlay system will help with this? Maybe?? Maybe not?

Overall, with all that has been invested in San Antonio / Bexar County's system(s), it just doesn't seem like we are any further along with interoperability.

We have some of the capabilities, but we just can't seem to execute to make those capability work.

It all goes back to governance and process......

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Just got home from a long day, and you guys covered every base I wanted to. Good job.

I'll agree with ya'll, a lot of money spent and they all seem to be using disparate systems. I don't know that the overlay will help with this much at all, which really makes me doubt it could help with hurricane evacuations (one of it's big selling points, after Rita).

Status
Not open for further replies.