Brushfire In Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

landonjensen

Does anyone know a fire near the templin freeway and golden state freeway? One engine from arcadia , monrovia , pasadena, san gabriel, san marino, and LA county just got a call to go to that location as there are structures in immeaditate danger at this time. Is it normal to take one engine from each dept? Communications can be heard on LA COUNTY TAC 18 And VERDUGO RED 4.

Anybody listening?

Uplink

Day Fire

Yes, that is the "Day Fire" incident that has been burning since Labor Day in Los Padres NF, it is threatening to jump the 5 fwy near Lake Pyramid, LAcFD has become heavily active now. BLUE-11 is another tac as well as NIFC freqs. They closed the 5fwy in both directions.

I have the live audio on my feed link below...

Last edited:

BlueZebra

And yes..

It is common to send 1 engine from a selection of agencies to fill a Strike Team, which is what the group of 5 engines you heard being dispatched is called. That leaves sufficient resources in those departments to cover the home front. Only the larger departments, such as LA County and LA City, send entire strike teams from one agency.

BirkenVogt

X = Ca. OES
L = LA area
C = Area C (Burbank, Glendale, and Pasadena FD)

1200-1239 are available for this area so the first strike team they send out would be XLC1200, the next XLC1201, etc.

They are temporary designators used for the duration of a strike team assignment, used by the strike team leader to identify himself.

Birken

rananthony04

Pics of "day fire"-Castaic

When I am not picking up dead people, I do allot of freelance video stuff. Some of these are stills taken from my footage using a canon xl1 s. I know the quality isn't all that great,small file size as per RR upload requirements.The ones with the visible blue sky were taken around 1130 am and the darker more menacing looking pics were taken about 1500 hrs, I was also caught in the middle of all the traffic that was a result of the 5 fwy being shut down. It was one of the worst traffic jams I have ever been in.
Take care

-Robert

Attachments

• day_fire_fwy2.JPG
    day_fire_fwy2.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 216
  • empty_5fwy_north.jpg
    empty_5fwy_north.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 212
  • day_fire1.JPG
    day_fire1.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 209
  • ventco_firecapt_code3.jpg
    ventco_firecapt_code3.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 209
  • hard_closure_s5.jpg
    hard_closure_s5.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 202

brandon

Database Admin
Wow that fire looks pretty big. I hear the winds are supposed to pick up in the next couple days. This cannot be good news for the FF.
Good luck to them all!

selgaran

BirkenVogt said:
X = Ca. OES

Actually, I believe the leading X means that the strke team is made up of resources from more than one agency in the operational area (or sub-area in LA).

Markb

Premium Subscriber
That's correct. The X sigifes a "mixed bag" S/T> OES strike teams have an 8 in the 2nd number position i.e. 1800, 6800, etc.....

SLOweather

Premium Subscriber
Inciweb is a good resource for finding current fire incident info. www.inciwb.org

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/475/ is the Day Fire page.

From today's report:

A good map of the perimeter is here.

Updated 2006-09-16 17:15:21 ET

Size 30,639 acres
Percent Contained 30%
Estimated Containment Date (none listed)
Total Personnel 1,731
Fuels Involved Heavy mixed brush with scattered timber.

SLOweather

Premium Subscriber
It blew up pretty good yesterday in the winds, high temps and low humidities.

Currently over 74,000 acres, 15% contained.

The smoke plume has blown well over 100 miles to the northwest, over San Luis Obispo.

In my weather blog, I posted an an animated GIF of today's satellite loop that shows the smoke plume pretty vividly. I didn't post it directly because of the size (almost a megabyte).

http://franklin.tbo.net/blog/?p=239

Here's a photo from our backyard this morning of the sun through the smoke.

060918smokysun.jpg

brandon

Database Admin
That pic is freaky. Reminds me of the 'Cedar Fire' we had in San Diego a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.