Bryan Broadcasting Asks FCC to Allow All-Digital AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2xq

Mentor
"A prominent advocate for the AM band is petitioning the FCC to allow stations to use all-digital transmissions in the United States."

"Bryan Broadcasting Corp. on Monday filed a petition for rulemaking asking the commission to initiate a proceeding to authorize the MA3 all-digital mode of HD Radio for any AM station that chooses to do so."

https://www.radioworld.com/news-and...broadcasting-asks-fcc-to-allow-all-digital-am

Interesting idea, IMO, and the elimination of noise et al would be a positive outcome. The installed base of legacy AM receivers would be an impediment, to be sure, and skywave propagation may be a factor. We'll see.

RFI-EMI-GUY

It just occurred to me that there could be an APP for a smartphone that could convert digital audio from an analog transistor radio . It would be like DRM. Plug the smartphone mike Jack into the radio earphone Jack and let the DSP do the rest. The fidelity would be crummy with smartphone speaker, but ear buds could fix that,

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

WA8ZTZ

"Interference concerns of all-digital signals into existing analog stations should not be an impediment to the rollout of all-digital".

Hmmm... so let's just further trash the AM band with digital noise.
Is that what this means ?

Boombox

Most stations won't have the capital available to go all-digital. The band will always have analog stations. I think it's a great idea -- it leaves an option open for those AM stations that want to go all digital to do so. Any interference won't extend farther than 100 miles or so, and from what I understand, full digital doesn't hash adjacent channels as much as IBOC does. The future is digital -- or static.

Status
Not open for further replies.