Budget "tower" in Norway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scampi

I got hold of a discarded projection screen-tripod, and used some zip-ties to mount my RadioShack-antenna.
Right beneath it, I used zip ties to mount the telescope-antenna from RadioShack, which is used for local comms.

DSC_6441.jpg

When I raise the upper half of the tripod, it is about 3 meters tall.
This pulls in the Oslo Police Department very well, which is located about 65 km. north of me.

DSC_6443.jpg

The coax feeds these two:

DSC_6449.jpg

This is probably the cheapest way to build a "tower" here in Norway, going the professional way is really expensive, besides the community would probably hate it.
So far I have not recieved any complaints - and the best part is the tripod was totally free.

andy404ns

Could you bolt the tripod to the top of the railing on the porch to get a few extra feet out of it or will the neighbors complain about that too?

Scampi

andy404ns said:
Could you bolt the tripod to the top of the railing on the porch to get a few extra feet out of it or will the neighbors complain about that too?

They would probably complain, but not as much as my parents would ;P

Besides, I probably wouldn't gain anything, I have little to no interest in listening to comms north of Oslo, and Oslo beams in at 9+.

EncryptionMan

You know something.. That is a great idea. That took a bit of creativity to do that. Nice work.

If you plan on keeping it that temporary to move it around and bring it in for storms Id recommend Velcro ties or some other kind of removable strap for some kind of strain relief on the antenna. Wire tying and cutting them continuously is bound to lead to nicking the wire at some point.

Scampi

Thank you for the great comments, I have always felt kind of in the shadows of you guys with your big towers and expensive installs, but I'm pretty sure I'm the first one with this kind of tower ;P

af5rn

Awesome improvisation! I'm always going to be more impressed by the guy who produces a workable solution from his own ingenuity than the guy who whips out his platinum card and orders a professional installed tower.

Nice work! This gives us all inspiration to come up with unique solutions of our own.

No offence intended to the guy with the platinum card. I still want to be your BFF! :D

Scampi

I came up with this solution mainly because I can't afford a big tower at the moment, but also because I was tired of tying the antenna to the railing with shoelaces... ;P

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
Scampi said:
I came up with this solution mainly because I can't afford a big tower at the moment, but also because I was tired of tying the antenna to the railing with shoelaces... ;P

Don't use shoelaces, you'll get water infiltration.

Use some 18 gauge wire.

J/k!

SAR923

Looks good but the wood on that deck needs some attention. Yuo're going to fall through that hole and it looks like most of the other wood is warped.

Scampi

SAR2401 said:
Looks good but the wood on that deck needs some attention. Yuo're going to fall through that hole and it looks like most of the other wood is warped.

Hehe, it was built that way when we extended the house some 23 years ago, and so far no one has gotten their foot stuck, and no the wood is not warped :)
But yes, it needs some attention, I'm going to wash it this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.